2001 F350 4x4 7.3L Powerstoke Diesel all-purpose build

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Installed Simpson straps in to tie the nose ribs into the bed base framework

IMAG1054 1_zpspf9gikrt by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

IMAG1055_zpskwwnfcbl by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

Rtech 1.5" insulfoam installed into the bed base framework.

IMAG1056 1_zpszzublook by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

IMAG1060_zpspr7devfz by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

3/8" sanded birch plywood decking to tie it all together:

IMAG1061_zpsrgtxlllb by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

IMAG1062_zpsoz5fyrsg by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

Last edited:

underdrive

jackwagon
Looks like you're moving right along at a pretty good clip. Your bed framework design is very similar to ours, except we have both side to side and front to back beams, and they're on top of each other and at every "intersection" they are glued and screwed together. We lost an inch and half of head room because of that, but we were able to double the insulation value under the bed. Our ceiling also got dropped an inch and a half on each side of the escape hatch, this added more strength to the framework and again allowed for better insulation. Way we saw it, that area of the camper is for sleeping, not jumping on the bed like kids. So sleeping in more comfort took priority over convenience of getting up there. Which, given how we still have like 2ft between the top of the mattress and the lowest point of the ceiling, isn't really an issue to begin with.

Don't forget to stuff those "compartments" in the nose full of insulation before you plate over their divider walls.

15F350KR

I saw what looks to be your second power stroke in the background of the picture of you installing the rtech insulation?

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Its my dads 2001 F350 7.3l CC Dually. He bought it new in 01 and bought the camper new in 97. He had a 97 F350 gasser until he got the 01.
IMAG1057_zps9wvjwdgu.jpg

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
bed cap was falling off so i fixed it with some 1/4-20 allen head bolts
IMAG1410_zpslcyttble by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

I got a rubber cover for my hide a key, helps it blend in better.
IMAG0985_zpsi7libvyh by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

IMAG0986_zpstzh50s96 by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

IMAG1412_zps9gtg0a0t by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

Installed an updated dome light from a ford taurus at pick n pull, then got led light off the clearance rack at walmart for 5$. The XL fords have a very basic dome lights like the pre 2000 rangers

Old:
IMAG1418_zpsf1faq4df by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

New:
IMAG1374_zpsnmfobilm by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

IMAG1419_zpsdpo67gqu by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

finally got a new Ford take off center Jumpseat. I put the seats in like 4 years ago and I am just now getting a center jumpseat, they are very expensive but this one only cost me 100$ shipped off ebay.
It has been great on long road trips, extra cup holders, another storage compartment and a place to rest my arm between shifts.
IMAG1515_zpsuofirdzm by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

IMAG1516_zpslo07bvsh by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

So far the LED light bar is working well, no water intrusion at all. I got popped by CHP for no offroad light covers so I had to order some plastic covers off ebay to get the ticket signed off. They fit very well!
IMAG1528_zpsboqhn63e by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

Last edited:

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
I like your interior mods!

Oddly enough I'm about to add a fold down center console, map lights and an auto dim rear view mirror with compass/temp to my base model Silverado build.

Looking forward to more camper progress pics!

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
I like your interior mods!

Oddly enough I'm about to add a fold down center console, map lights and an auto dim rear view mirror with compass/temp to my base model Silverado build.

Looking forward to more camper progress pics!

Thanks!
I think the center console and map lights are nice to have, they will add nicely to your silverado. I wouldnt mind having an auto dim mirror and compass, my wife has one in her 4 runner and I really like it.
I added a couple more new pics to the camper build thread. The camper will really start looking different once I wrap the nose in black diamond deck, repaint the interior and repaint the blue stripes on the outside black. All the rot and structural repairs are done tho so im really happy about that. Not to mention Ive only spent $500 refurbishing it which included the new vent, diamond deck and propane tank

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Thanks!
I think the center console and map lights are nice to have, they will add nicely to your silverado. I wouldnt mind having an auto dim mirror and compass, my wife has one in her 4 runner and I really like it.
I added a couple more new pics to the camper build thread. The camper will really start looking different once I wrap the nose in black diamond deck, repaint the interior and repaint the blue stripes on the outside black. All the rot and structural repairs are done tho so im really happy about that. Not to mention Ive only spent $500 refurbishing it which included the new vent, diamond deck and propane tank

Didn't realize you had a separate thread going for it, I see the link in your sig now. Gotta love getting something done for a couple hundred bucks that you would have had to pay someone a couple thousand to do for you. :)

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
I have been working on adding some grip to the top of my bumper for climbing in and out with the tailgate up. I finally came across some free Wooster aluminum stair tread nosing! My uncle gave it to me for free and the radius matched the radius of my bumper perfectly. I cut them to length drilled and tapped and countersunk some holes for stainless allen heads. Turned out pretty nice for just the cost of the bolts.

IMAG2113.jpg

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Camper is pretty much finished. I still have to do some weatherproofing and paint before winter but I just want to get out and use it finally. I had gallbladder surgery 5 weeks ago. Before it was finally discovered and removed I had been sick on and off since last September. so that slowed work on this project.
The camper sticks out in the rear too far so I can't close the tiregate. So I will mod the bumper mounting brackets and push the bumper out 2-3". I need to thank my parents for letting me store and work on the camper at their house since December! They have a lot of flat paved area to work.
Getting ready the order 2 gallons of monstaliner and a spray gun.
sits 10 foot 3" ground to top of escape hatch vent. I'm under the 11' mark even with a 6" lift and 35" toyos

IMAG2391_zpsg91x8gdx by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

IMAG2395_zpsc4hjrxzf by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

IMAG2397_zps8avxipyg by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

Just clears the light bar about 1" to spare

IMAG2399_zpsnqeyj8yy by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles