Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
transmission / engine oil pan skid plate.

If you don't have the transmission / engine skid plate, that would be a good one to start with.
M.O.R.E. has a reasonably priced unit, that will also help keep the stock transmission cross member from getting crushed.
http://www.extremeterrain.com/more-oil-transmission-skid-jk-jkopsp.html

If you look under the Jeep, besides the transmission cross member that is easily damaged, there is a transmission cooler line that runs under the pan unprotected.
Second picture is what happens in a JKU, when the "break over" angle is broken. ;)

Attachments

• Trans-line.jpg
    Trans-line.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Trans-cross-member.jpg
    Trans-cross-member.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 95

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Ok well so far sounds like the exhaust is not a forum favorite. Lol.

I'll probably go ahead and order the AEV front skid plate and order a Cobra 75CB with the necessary equipment. Once that is all taken care of I will probably evaluate what skids ill be getting first.

An Evap canister skid doesn't seem to be very expensive so ill probably get that to start off.

Skids are really important with a build like mine. I've got 2.5" of lift but still running stock tires. Ive scraped on rocks before and it was not a good feeling. Knowing there is some protection underneath will help.

Tombstone17

Observer
Hey C Scott, All I can say is OUCH, skid plates should be the next purchase, along with a welder and some plating metal......

heehawhardy

Adventurering
Evap skid is a MUST! Even the light wheeling I did in BigBend with my JK I got some scuffs on it. Also I went with the EvoMfg Crossmember Skid which covered that vulnerable area.

http://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-07-protek-evap-skid-jk-jku/
http://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-2012-hd-protek-transmission-crossmember-jk-black/
http://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-tailgate-antenna-mount-jk-jku/

I'm a fan of Evo's stuff mainly because it is Made In USA and the great customer service I have experience. I saw you also said something about a CB so I included Evo's taillight antenna mount link

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Evap skid is a MUST! Even the light wheeling I did in BigBend with my JK I got some scuffs on it. Also I went with the EvoMfg Crossmember Skid which covered that vulnerable area.

http://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-07-protek-evap-skid-jk-jku/
http://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-2012-hd-protek-transmission-crossmember-jk-black/
http://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-tailgate-antenna-mount-jk-jku/

I'm a fan of Evo's stuff mainly because it is Made In USA and the great customer service I have experience. I saw you also said something about a CB so I included Evo's taillight antenna mount link

Thanks for the links! Greatly appreciated. I'm going to see about aluminum plating because they don't trust and light weight. Not sure about the durability though.

I think I will go with the cool tech tailgate CB mount.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Finally broke 30,000 miles in my JKU today. Big milestone for me. I have driven 7,000 miles in it since I got it.

Hopefully will do a off-road day on friday, will get some photos up if it happens.:sombrero:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Finally broke 30,000 miles in my JKU today. Big milestone for me. I have driven 7,000 miles in it since I got it.

Hopefully will do a off-road day on friday, will get some photos up if it happens.:sombrero:

Hey, that's awesome! :beer:
I've had my jeep going on two years, and don't have 7K miles on the Odo.

Off road pictures are a requirement, so get 'er dirty, and get to snapping! :elkgrin:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
FINALLY got the Jeep aligned yesterday. Ever since I had the AEV lift installed about 2 months ago, it always was pulling to the right. It wasn't to the point to where it was underivable. I took it to Fredericksburg about a week ago and the wind was so bad it was pushing the Jeep around at 70mph. After that I said enough and made an appointment to get the issue fixed.

Interestingly enough, the alignment itself was pretty much perfect, not really anything was out of order except a few small things. When I was looking over the result sheet, I found that the steer ahead was WAY off before and I think that was the reason for it pulling on the road and the steering wheel being off center.

The Toe was a little off so that was correct but what I find strange is the Camber on the front left wheel. I thought on Solid Axle Vehicles the camber was nonadjustable. What is strange is that the camber on the front left wheel is at -1.0, while every other wheel is at -.4 to -.5. Is there any reason for this?

Other than the camber it drives dead straight now and I love it.
mddmqCP.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Got out and did some off-roading with my dad today. Wow what a day.

We went around and took some good photos. The Jeep did really well.
5PZNeMK.jpg

3RcFf8m.jpg

mstewk5.jpg

After a while we met a guy with a Range Rover. Both of his diffs were grenaded and he had no power going to any wheels. We gave him a tow (Which was an adventure in and of itself.) and got him back to camp.
FrZeFbF.jpg

Other than that, great day.
Hhf0bCB.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Jeep update:

I took the doors off a few days ago and noticed that the door hinge liners were already crapping out. I decided to go ahead and buy a set of TMR Derlin door hinge liners. These were more of a preventative purchase so that I don't have issues in the future.

I also decided to buy the AEV water pump kit and jack base for my Jeep. After almost having a disabled rover run into a tree because the E-brake wasn't working, I wanted something that could also act as a wheel chock. I was initially disappointed when I learned that the AEV bumper does not come with the pump and plumbing from the AEV factory. I decided to go ahead and buy the kit. After all its was like 30 bucks and could come in handy in the future. Hopefully all the parts will come in soon.

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Shame that happened to that LR, seems like a pretty neat rig.

Did you happen to check out North Pole? I never run it because of how rough the trail is but it's always fun to watch heavily built rigs run it.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Shame that happened to that LR, seems like a pretty neat rig.

Did you happen to check out North Pole? I never run it because of how rough the trail is but it's always fun to watch heavily built rigs run it.

It was a pretty cool rig. The owner was telling us that he has had issues with it before. It left them stranded in Colorado so now he has to trailer the Rover wherever he wants to go. Feel bad for him but IMO English vehicles are possibly the least reliable vehicles on the planet. Just my opinion.

... I was going to head to the North Pole but then we had to Tow the Rover and that ate up a lot of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior