Land Cruiser converts, please weigh in on your post-conversion thoughts

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
How does the G-Wagen compare in realiablity and maintence cost and upkeep to a 200 series?

I've never owned an LC200 but Mercedes are pretty darn reliable. Lots more electronics I'm sure so that could pose an issue when a module starts complaining about something.
I haven't priced LC200 parts but I'd expect the G parts to be more expensive on average.
All in all, my '03 G500 was light on maintenance; basically brakes, valve cover gaskets(German rubber isn't as good as Japanese), preventative maintenance/services. It was a terrific rig(new owner just stopped by with it today!).

Scott Brady

Founder
I have spent a ton of time in both and have owned both- they are more similar than different. In the end, the G-Wagen is a better quality vehicle and the Land Cruiser is a more reliable one. The materials, fit and finish on the G is simply superior, but the systems on the Land Cruiser will prove more reliable as the miles rack up. The ride quality of the G is better, while the articulation of the Cruiser is better. The storage volume of the G has a slight advantage, while also providing a better departure angle. They will both take a 35" tire with relative ease and aftermarket support of both is more than adequate. In reality, the biggest difference is cost of entry. A clean 1996 G-Wagen will costs 30-40% more than a clean 80 series.

Just did a trip with both yesterday. . .
H38C4985.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Great feedback Scott, thank you.
Would your thoughts change a bit W463 G vs LC100(quite a bit more spacious/wider inside, no)?

-Jeremy

Adventurer
The rubicon is MUCH more boring than the 100. IMHO. And far, very far to its reliability.
This.. Someone said on a prior post how the G won on quality while the LC won on reliability. To me, quality and reliability go hand in hand. The G is a looker, but I chose a 100(when I had it) just from all the research I did. Never regretted having it. Having sold it was a hard choice for me, but I need a truck more than the Cruiser now that it's just me and the wife..

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

G vs. LC

Here is my analysis of the G platform...coming from a new G owner:

I just purchased my first G-Wagen approximately 3 months ago. It is important to note, I purchased a 1990 300GD which is a very different beast when compared to the US G-Wagens which are equipped with luxury interiors and a powerful V8 engine. The 1990 300GD is the simpleton cousin of the G500 or G550. It has a modestly powered (rather anemic in fact) 6cyl diesel engine. The interior is basic, with only a few luxury items such as power windows and a moon roof. Where others are comparing US spec G's to FZJ80's and UZJ100's, a more appropriate comparison to the 300GD would be an HZJ80 or even an HJ60.

This is my first non Toyota vehicle that I've owned since 1999. I have a serious passion for most things Toyota, especially the Land Cruiser. In my years I have owned 2 FJ60's, 1 FJ40 (recently sold), a UZJ100, and 2 Tacomas. Currently my wife drives a 200 series Land Cruiser, and I still own a 1987 HJ75 Land Cruiser with a camper conversion top. Needless to say, I have a lot of seat time in various Land cruiser Models and fully admire all things Land Cruiser.

I agree with much of what has been said thus far in this thread. In a nut shell, the Land Cruiser is dead nuts reliable, while the G-Wagen is more refined.

I think its unarguable that the G-Wagen is a more expensive platform to purchase, modify and maintain. I have had a few sticker shock moments purchasing parts for my G in the past month. However, just like with Land Cruisers, there are aftermarket and online vendors selling parts at a discounted rate making purchasing parts a bit more palatable. The ride quality and interior noise level is almost incomparable between the two platforms. I would say the road noise in my 25yr old G-Wagon is the same as in my wife's 2014 200 series Land Cruiser! The G's road manners are admirable as well. I've yet to do more than explore some Class IV roads in Vermont, so I can't talk much to the G's off-road performance. One thing that very much surprised me was the interior cargo space the G has. As a pro-photographer, I carry a ton of gear (especially on commercial jobs requiring lighting rigs) and was a bit nervous the G would carry all my equipment. With the addition of a Front Runner Roof Rack, I have been pleasantly surprised by how much gear the G can carry. I will say however, a suspension upgrade is in my future as I'm definitely maxing out the payload of the stock springs.

Another very important observation to note; the G-Wagen is a more precise machine than a Land Cruiser. Because of this, when items are worn or out of tolerance, the results are magnified significantly. For example, I've been fighting a drive-line vibration after replacing t-case mounts. I've discovered that with the G's driveline, if anything is out of tolerance you will immediately feel vibrations, shakes, ect. Along those same lines, when working on the G-Wagen it is very important to follow the Mercedes specified process for repairs. I've been bitten a few times working on my G and just "winging" it like I've always done with my Land Cruisers!

Overall I have been utterly enjoying my G-Wagen and absolutely love driving it daily. With that said, my HJ75 Troopy will continue to be my long distance travel vehicle of choice.

_K2A7146.jpg_K2A7147.jpg_K2A7156.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jonathan! Interesting to hear another mention their take on the G having more interior room than an LC. Having been in only a few LC's(80s and 100s), I always thought the G was much narrower, especially vs the LC100.

Gorgeous fleet you have there!

-Jeremy

Thanks! Just to note: I'm note sure the G has more overall interior room. A 100 series and certainly a 200 series does have more width, however the cargo area seems to hold the same amount of gear! I attribute this to the very boxy nature of the G. The 200 series cargo are, in my opinion, is deceivingly small actually. (with seats removed). I believe its because the 200 has so many curves and contours. It also nice that the G's wheel well humps are angular, so you can place cases or gear on top of them.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jonathan! Interesting to hear another mention their take on the G having more interior room than an LC. Having been in only a few LC's(80s and 100s), I always thought the G was much narrower, especially vs the LC100.

Gorgeous fleet you have there!

-Jeremy

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Here is my analysis of the G platform...coming from a new G owner:

I just purchased my first G-Wagen approximately 3 months ago. It is important to note, I purchased a 1990 300GD which is a very different beast when compared to the US G-Wagens which are equipped with luxury interiors and a powerful V8 engine. The 1990 300GD is the simpleton cousin of the G500 or G550. It has a modestly powered (rather anemic in fact) 6cyl diesel engine. The interior is basic, with only a few luxury items such as power windows and a moon roof. Where others are comparing US spec G's to FZJ80's and UZJ100's, a more appropriate comparison to the 300GD would be an HZJ80 or even an HJ60.

This is my first non Toyota vehicle that I've owned since 1999. I have a serious passion for most things Toyota, especially the Land Cruiser. In my years I have owned 2 FJ60's, 1 FJ40 (recently sold), a UZJ100, and 2 Tacomas. Currently my wife drives a 200 series Land Cruiser, and I still own a 1987 HJ75 Land Cruiser with a camper conversion top. Needless to say, I have a lot of seat time in various Land cruiser Models and fully admire all things Land Cruiser.

I agree with much of what has been said thus far in this thread. In a nut shell, the Land Cruiser is dead nuts reliable, while the G-Wagen is more refined.

I think its unarguable that the G-Wagen is a more expensive platform to purchase, modify and maintain. I have had a few sticker shock moments purchasing parts for my G in the past month. However, just like with Land Cruisers, there are aftermarket and online vendors selling parts at a discounted rate making purchasing parts a bit more palatable. The ride quality and interior noise level is almost incomparable between the two platforms. I would say the road noise in my 25yr old G-Wagon is the same as in my wife's 2014 200 series Land Cruiser! The G's road manners are admirable as well. I've yet to do more than explore some Class IV roads in Vermont, so I can't talk much to the G's off-road performance. One thing that very much surprised me was the interior cargo space the G has. As a pro-photographer, I carry a ton of gear (especially on commercial jobs requiring lighting rigs) and was a bit nervous the G would carry all my equipment. With the addition of a Front Runner Roof Rack, I have been pleasantly surprised by how much gear the G can carry. I will say however, a suspension upgrade is in my future as I'm definitely maxing out the payload of the stock springs.

Another very important observation to note; the G-Wagen is a more precise machine than a Land Cruiser. Because of this, when items are worn or out of tolerance, the results are magnified significantly. For example, I've been fighting a drive-line vibration after replacing t-case mounts. I've discovered that with the G's driveline, if anything is out of tolerance you will immediately feel vibrations, shakes, ect. Along those same lines, when working on the G-Wagen it is very important to follow the Mercedes specified process for repairs. I've been bitten a few times working on my G and just "winging" it like I've always done with my Land Cruisers!

Overall I have been utterly enjoying my G-Wagen and absolutely love driving it daily. With that said, my HJ75 Troopy will continue to be my long distance travel vehicle of choice.

View attachment 333445View attachment 333446View attachment 333447

I love both g's and cruisers. I would be interested in getting your input comparing the two chassis. You have my dream garage.

uzj100

Adventurer
Great looking fleet. Thank you for the real world insights.

Is the 300 GD turbo diesel?

I plan to add a 1991 290 GD wolf convertible at some point. Luckily the 25 year rule for imports has kicked in.

I have always liked the LC and G.

Thanks.

No, the 300GD has the 603na (non turbo motor). With just 113hp, it really is underpowered for our highway systems. I've been getting by just fine, but am starting to research a turbo motor swap. I will likely buy a 603a motor from a US sedan which is basically the same motor as the 603, but with a turbo setup.

The wolf's are super sweet!!! It is great these vehicles are now 'old' enough to import.

Great looking fleet. Thank you for the real world insights.

Is the 300 GD turbo diesel?

I plan to add a 1991 290 GD wolf convertible at some point. Luckily the 25 year rule for imports has kicked in.

I have always liked the LC and G.

codemunky

I've been looking to getting rid of my Land Rover LR3 for a G-wagen. So I've been researching everyday. But I think my heart is set on a G. Though my LR3 may be more capable, the G sounds pretty solid. I also want to go without electronics.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I've been looking to getting rid of my Land Rover LR3 for a G-wagen. So I've been researching everyday. But I think my heart is set on a G. Though my LR3 may be more capable, the G sounds pretty solid. I also want to go without electronics.

Capable how? Out of curiosity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles