The "Az Crew" Thread

DezRacer25

Both of mine are Gen 1s but I knew about the upper control arm but hadn't heard about the Gen 2 idler arm pitman arm fix?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Both of mine are Gen 1s but I knew about the upper control arm but hadn't heard about the Gen 2 idler arm pitman arm fix?

The fix is not as simple as swapping just a gen 2 idler, they are longer so the pitman arm needs to be swapped as well. The best policy is to swap the entire Gen 2 suspension and steering (not the gear if you're running smaller tires).

In addition to brass bushings i think arm support is the only way to fly up in the 35-40" tire range, i need to get off my *** and make one for the Gen2. The gen 2 presents a challenge in that the brace would need to have a bearing to rotate with the arm itself, maybe this is something IncorporatedX and I will need to brainstorm over coffee next.

Last edited:

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Any more words on these brass bushings?

Seems Jorge's '86 has a salvage title, which we seemed to have forgotten/overlooked. So, it's not as simple as transferring the title (done), passing emissions (done) and getting a plate. It has to be inspected at a DMV office, while a pain in the ***, is quite doable. Just another hurdle THE MAN has put in place to try to keep us down, I suppose. It really has to be the nicest salvage Montero I've ever been in, to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully all will be done by the end of this week.

One of these days, BFG will have KM2's back in stock in either 33x12.5-15 or 35x12.5-15 and I can get one to fill out a set so I can actually wheel again. The MTR I'm using for a spare absolutely sucks, largely because it's not balanced and it shakes the crap out of the truck on the highway. We'll see about getting that balanced today.

Good news on the old KM2 35" that blew up on IncorpoRatedX a few months ago. Tire Rack will send a call tag to pick it up at my door and they will inspect it and measure the tread depth (it's pretty deep still), then issue a credit for warranty. It goes by depth, not age, apparently, so it'll be worth something. I just need to have it unmounted first. No packaging required, says Tire Rack, just put it on the front porch and call them. I like that.

Sounds like IncorpoRatedX has a construction project for us coming up. I've already lent my engineering ideas via text to get stuff started, so it sounds like a doable task for the Crew. In case he hasn't let everybody know, he'll need some helping hands soon. P.S., IncX, get a post square, in case you don't already have one. Makes setting posts easy and nearly fun. Available at a home improvement store near you! Another P.S., 4"x6" posts are a lot stronger than 4"x4" and they don't cost that much more...

John B.

Toasty

JBFP, go buy Geolander MT+ 35x12.5r15 They're inexpensive and better than BFG's, the only downside is that they are directional. If i can get my hands on some 17's i'll but some Geolanders because the sizes i want only come in the R17 flavor.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
JBFP, go buy Geolander MT+ 35x12.5r15 They're inexpensive and better than BFG's, the only downside is that they are directional.

And they have 2-ply sidewalls. And they're only $14 cheaper than the KM2's at Tire Rack. I'll pass.

Here's your Catch-22 on Jorge's '86: The truck has to be inspected before it can be tagged. The truck has to be taken to a DMV station to be inspected. The truck is out of 3 day permits (at least one isn't available until the 18th, Friday) and 30-day permits aren't issued for salvage title vehicles. If you drive it to be inspected without a permit on it, they won't inspect it. The 18th is a Friday. Inspections are only done Monday through Thursday. I suppose it could be trailered there. Or we'll just wait until next week. Dumb.

John B.

DezRacer25

Hi JohnnyB The BFGs you refered to are now available. They were on a nationwide back order since last summer. The 35X12.50X15 went into production in the middle of January and the 33X12.50X15s went into production at the end of January. I got my new 33s the first week of February one of the first new sets available but had to cancel Tire rack order and place it with Discount Tire they even matched the price less the sales tax.

Toasty

Toyo MT = 3 ply sidewall and they're 3 times as thick as a BFG and have a lot more nylon cords. I don't know where a ply rating comes from but they are all over the place

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Thanks for the info, Dez. You'd think that Tire Rack would have some of that new stock by now, but they don't show them as being available yet. I'll try Discount and take a print quote in with me. 4WheelParts usually has good prices, too.

So, Toast, you're all over the place with tires. Now you're back on Toyos. As you know, I had Toyo M/T's when I first got my SR. Great tires, but expensive. Tread didn't wear as well as I'd like and I had serious cracking issues with the sidewalls after a few years of being outside. Guess any tire will, but I think that just means I should drive more and park less, anyways.

Shovel, thank you as usual for your explanation of things I figured as simple, made to be so not-simple as to make me want to question everything.

Anybody really enjoy doing drum brakes? I mean really, really get a charge out of them? I myself do not. If this enticing prospect interests you, the '93 Power Ram is ready for your touch. Contact me here for the fun, the excitement, the thrill of stretching springs, swearing, split-open knuckles, and scars that will live on!

John B.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Brass Idler bushings.

The machine shop wants a factory set up to test fit things. Anyone have a gen 1 or gen 2 factory idler arm complete? wear isnt that important just needs to have all the parts there. I'm going to dig around in my old parts today.

Saturday 3/19 or sunday 3/20 I'm looking for at least 4 people willing to commit to coming over for a raise the roof party. not so much a party as it is literally lifting a roof into place in front of my garage and setting it on some pole.s Toasty and I built a 15 foot tall gantry, shovel pitched in a chain hoist and im not sure where the other one came from. Most of the work is just standing there and making sure things dont tip too far one way or the other. JBFP will be onsite to supervise and consume alcoholic beverages so work-zone safety will be top notch.

DezRacer25

The Toyos are great tires but tend to chunk a little more than the BFGs. They cost more and are heavier 10lbs a piece heavier for the 33s so more unsprung weight. I love the Toyos on my diesel tow rig with an E rating got 40k miles on them and look like they will go anouther 40k but not for my little Monty.

RyanY

Adventurer
I remember the Toyos that JBFP had being some of the heaviest tires I'd ever experienced - I've never changed a tire on a big rig or other heavy equipment though. Excess tire weight drags down every possible measure of performance on a vehicle - acceleration, braking, handling, fuel mileage, suspension component wear - if they're still 20% heavier than other competitive tires I'd avoid them for that reason alone.

Toasty

Toyos are really heavy, but they also never pop until they get super dryrotted like JBFP's and crack out (My first set are doing it now around the 10 year range). Just bought my 4th set of Toyos today actually 195/50R15's ha ha ha!

If I'm gonna be cheap and buy tires I'm going to run the Goelanders, Pat had them and liked them. I like that they sell a 38x13.5R17

Toasty

Heave that drum brake axle into the dumpster and swap in one with discs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier