OME Dakar leaf packs bent?

98tcoma3rz

Observer
I bought some OME dakars about a year and a half ago. I have the add a leaf installed as well. I have a fiberglass cap and swing out tire carrier. I know the tacomas have the "taco lean" but mine seams really bad. When I initially installed them I turned up the driver's side coil over about an inch and 1/8 more than the passenger side to level the rear. I recently installed the add a leafs and while doing so I noticed the 2 bottom overload leafs are MUCH more negatively arched than the passenger side. Also the driver side is still sitting a bout a half inch lower than the passenger side. Is this normal? Should I email ARB about the issue? My main concern is that the left side overloads are much more arched (negatively). Here are a couple pictures of the truck on a lift (springs are not compressed)

20160227_184702-min.jpg
20160227_184709-min.jpg

Last edited:

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
I'll check mine when I get home tonight. I think mine are similar, but I have a 2010. It appears yours is a first gen by the shock placement, but I'm not if it makes a difference.

Do you have any bump stops at all?! I don't see any in the pictures. If you don't then you may have over arched your springs! If you do have them did you compensate for the lift you installed? If you arch the spring too many times from a smiley face curve to a frown face curve you will damage the spring.

98tcoma3rz

Observer
haha good eye. No I just took them off when I added my axle relocation plates. I had to drill a new hole in the plate and I need longer ones. (u bolt flip kit) I haven't driven it yet until I get some bump stops. I guess everyone seems to like the timbrens...I just have a hard time justifying 200 bucks for some bump stops.

I installed Timbren's and Bilstein 5165 remote resi shocks last year. Should have done this years ago! Very smooth ride at speed over rocks and better handling on pavement.

Mattm94

Observer
After sagging out and destroying two sets of the OME Dakars with the AAL, I finally sprung for some 9 leaf Deavers about 3 years ago. I should have done that out of the gate, and I haven't looked back. JMHO.

KK6POV

Adventurer
After sagging out and destroying two sets of the OME Dakars with the AAL, I finally sprung for some 9 leaf Deavers about 3 years ago. I should have done that out of the gate, and I haven't looked back. JMHO.
I did the same thing...
I started with a set of dakars, I am fully armored and have a swingout bumper. The leaves were always flat or oversprung looking even with the overload leaf. I called ARB asked about them, sent pictures yada yada yada, they ended up sending me new leaf springs for free! good on them. Except they still sagged the EXACT same. I have kind of lost faith in OME suspension. My travel buddy has a 5th gen 4runner and the front suspension CANNOT support an arb bumper.

End of story, I forked over way too much money for a super stiff 11 leaf pack from Deaver. But I will never buy another pack again.

As far as timbrens go, I have the wheelers super bumps in the rear, I don't even know if it touch them unless I go look at them, they are GREAT feeling.

98tcoma3rz

Observer
I did the same thing...
I started with a set of dakars, I am fully armored and have a swingout bumper. The leaves were always flat or oversprung looking even with the overload leaf. I called ARB asked about them, sent pictures yada yada yada, they ended up sending me new leaf springs for free! good on them. Except they still sagged the EXACT same. I have kind of lost faith in OME suspension. My travel buddy has a 5th gen 4runner and the front suspension CANNOT support an arb bumper.

End of story, I forked over way too much money for a super stiff 11 leaf pack from Deaver. But I will never buy another pack again.

As far as timbrens go, I have the wheelers super bumps in the rear, I don't even know if it touch them unless I go look at them, they are GREAT feeling.

Thanks for the input. I did decide on some super bumps. Didn't know they existed until I emailed wheelers. So you like the deavers better? My truck is only a regular cab 4 cylinder. I would think the Dakars would be ok especially with the add a leaf. I know everyone says the Dakars have a negative arch but mine seems pretty bad. I was looking at the add a leaf I installed and I think I could actually add another add a leaf if I wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles