Day trip in the Snow

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
We spent a Saturday on the south side of the Uinta Mountains north of Roosevelt, Utah. You can see in the video that the snow was not packing and that I needed chains. My brothers Rubicon was very good with all of its traction devices. We made it to the 10,500 ft mark and then turned around. It was a great trip. Here is the link to the video. Please take a look, my nephew is a pretty good video editor and is trying to get more views so that he can make a little money from the adds on YouTube.

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
No, I spent 13 years driving a Cherokee, and grew up with other Jeeps. I like him well enough I let it slide.

SmoothLC

Explorer
Nice vid. Good mix of music and real-time audio.

Hey, what's the suspension set up on the Tundra?

Looks like no problems running chains up front.

zelatore

Explorer
I'm confused - what's all that fluffy white stuff? Can't be snow - I've seen snow. It's hard and icy and packs up like a solid wall when you drive on/into it. That stuff seemed to let you drive THROUGH it. Can't be snow...

OK, maybe I'm a little jealous. There's a reason they call what we have 'Sierra Cement'. I never knew that light fluffy dry snow existed until one day I got snowed on in a rental car in Park City. It was the first time I understood why they put those brush things on ice scrapers - before that I always thought that was just to brush your pants off when you got in the car. :)

A group from the NCLR is heading up to Bald Mountain in the Sierras this weekend. Somehow I don't think we'll have quite the same time you did...

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Hey, what's the suspension set up on the Tundra?

Looks like no problems running chains up front.

I have an aal in the rear, and Bilstein 5100's in the front. The Bilsteins are set for two inches of lift. I'm running FJ Cruiser steelies with 285 ST Maxx tires. The tires barely cleared the upper control arm, so I added Poison Spider 1.25" wheel spacers in the front, for the purpose of fitting chains. When breaking and turning, the left front just slightly touched the plastic fender liner, however there was no damage.

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Nice Video! Looks like y'all had fun!

We did. We took a whole mess of teenage boys with us, and of them only my nephews new what to expect. The boys were all amazed and loved it. We stopped up a side canyon, while it was snowing on us, and cooked lunch on the tailgate of the Tundra. It really added to their experience. It was a great day and one of them was quoted as saying, "don't let me miss out on days like this."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles