The Dana 50 TTB and getting it under my E350 van.

jydog

Thanks for those pictures mgmetalworks, got to hand it to Ramsey. That is a factory looking setup. From what I hear it handles better than factory. I have even more questions now.
Steering arm looks a lot longer than any e-series I have seen. I wonder what it is sourced from?
Is that 3/16 steel for the pivot brackets?
1 -1/2 rectangular stock for the spring purchases Im guessing?
Radius arms 12" longer than stock?
Radius arms 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 tube 3/16 thickness I guess?
At least the trans cross-member gives a reference for how long the arms are.
Looks like the engine cross-member has to be notched both front and rear.
progressive rate springs?
everything looks doable but I think the hardest part is going to be setting caster set correctly.
Ramsey I would love to know what the caster should be set to 7%?
Just missing one picture of the rear bracket and I think we would be set.

I haven't taken the cross-member off of my axle yet to get measurements but they are coming. Work and weather have been
keeping me from the fun stuff.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...Ramsey I would love to know what the caster should be set to 7%?...

First, it's measured in degrees not percentages. Here are the specs for a 95 F350 TTB.

Camber 0.0° +/- 0.5°
Caster min 2.0°
Caster max 4.75°
Total toe 0.06° +/- 0.25°
Camber split 0.0° +/- 0.4°
Caster split -0.5° +/- 0.4°

Here's a pretty pointless article from fourwheeler.http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1212or-kopycinskis-brain-changing-ford-ttb-camber/

Here's the bushing you need.
http://www.amazon.com/Moog-K8709-Caster-Camber-Bushing/dp/B000C544QO

I set toe with a tape measure. 1/8" in works fine.

Set camber with a plain bubble level. 0° is ideal. Lifted TTB tends toward negative unless the rear is loaded heavily.

Caster I set with a magnetic angle finder. 4° drives nice.

It's really not rocket science. Only hassle is getting the stock bushings out. Air hammer makes it easy. My truck is only used when it's needed (not a DD) so I align it with weight on board. You just need a level smooth surface, half a tank of fuel, accurate air pressure in all four tires, and go for it.

Last edited:

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Looks like the engine cross-member has to be notched both front and rear

This is one of the major differences between the agile and the Clydesdale. The Clydesdale has what appears to be a bracket attaching the axle pivot points to the modified engine cross member.
Agile appears to graft the brackets to the modified ecm, this would explain Ramsey's clue in the past that you would need a jig, etc.
I would think the bracket method would be the better way to go for someone developing a kit or DIY, especially if you could just order them from Clydesdale.

Thanks for the pics MG, what camera/phone? Pics seem so much better than my i6s

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
RD's van (pictured) has our lower lift. It still has ~12 inches of travel, but sits lower in the travel range.

We have made some changes since his build, but nothing too significant.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
We are developing a completely new system, but it is quite a ways out. Hard to dedicate the time to it with so much else going on.

For now we are sticking to the tried and true D50 TTB which is hard to beat.

I'm looking forward to seeing all these new TTB builds completed and all the pictures of them.

Abitibi

Explorer
We are developing a completely new system, but it is quite a ways out. Hard to dedicate the time to it with so much else going on.

For now we are sticking to the tried and true D50 TTB which is hard to beat.

I'm looking forward to seeing all these new TTB builds completed and all the pictures of them.
You can't throw us a bone without any meat on it! You need to give us some details of your new system :)

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
You can't throw us a bone without any meat on it! You need to give us some details of your new system :)

Actually working on two, a cost conscious Straight Axle and a Long Travel IFS. These are many months out... or more!

One of these days we will run out of TTB cores.

jydog

IMG_20160124_162940042_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160124_162909220.jpg

IMG_20160124_162809446_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160124_163108812_HDR.jpg

philos

Explorer
Had a bit of 2x3x.25 in my scrap pile. Started mocking up the pads for the coils.
aa26f2b08f6f99f297ae3321f86dff1a.jpg

d0f4b454f837683b5d5e09a94d092b22.jpg

6e25dce9a5e2b695f4c17f1c30bab5d5.jpg

b9f829341a2b12f2fc5e8981ead103b5.jpg

3043641615021f20ac014581fd1f879c.jpg

I'll need to fill this gap between the 2x3 and the base for the spring pad. Then figure out how to mount the van's lower retainer/cup/pad onto the square pad, but it's something.
cf1e9b53a5e934d8c410d211c0110a12.jpg

Clearly, I ran out of sand or both axle housings would be cleaner

Sent via flux capacitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles