Adventures of "Sally Ross" Fuso Camper by Phoenix Pop Up Campers PHXFG

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Well we found our dream family rig just 10 minutes down the road from us recently and things have worked out for us to own this beauty. We are transitioning from a Sprinter van, that we really liked, but we just wanted more offroad capability, space and amenities. Realistically we didn’t think it would happen, but we found this demo model over at Phoenix Pop Up Campers that works really well for us.

Our three year old daughter immediately named the rig “Sally Ross” and we are going with it. So I’ll keep you guys up to date on where our travels take us.

This weekend we took our maiden voyage to Estes Park Colorado for the winter festival to sample some great chili and craft beer. For the next few days we stayed nice and cozy in the camper in Rocky Mountain National park and enjoyed some snowshoeing.

Great weekend! We are stoked about this rig and look forward to making a few little tweaks to carry our bikes and create a “pass through” to the camper from the cab. Thanks for all the great info on what these Fuso FG 4x4s can do!

Butch

IMG_5335.jpg
IMG_5334.JPG
IMG_5333.jpg
IMG_5266.JPG

45lpv

Observer
Nice! I saw that rig in Asheville at the Expo. I believe it was the builders wife who said the whole interior was designed around the light over the kitchen table.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Nice! I saw that rig in Asheville at the Expo. I believe it was the builders wife who said the whole interior was designed around the light over the kitchen table.

Yeah, this truck has made the rounds to the overland expos for sure. My wife definitively enjoys the "upscale" interior, I could obviously care less. The light is pretty slick though!

Bris31

Adventurer
Can we have inside photo please?

Coming from Merc sprinter myself, we had to sacrifice some goodies (Auto, Airbags, Cruise Control, ABS, car like driving etc etc) so we can have offroad capability. Life is not perfect. But then there are more to see away from civilization.

Tatted

Adventurer
let me know next time your in Northern Colorado, would love to check your rig out, headed to Estes Park this weekend

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
@ Tatted we are in the Denver area, so a trip slightly farther North is always a possibility. Bummer we aren't going to be in Estes at the same time. This summer is going to packed full of backroad adventures. Are you planning on dry camping or can you carry water without it freezing in the Northstar?

@Bris31 I'll get some inside photos soon. It's tougher to capture the interior and really do it justice. We've found the FG pretty drivable and have been amazed by the turning radius.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Good for you guys, I had a chance to look through it at OvEx West and chat with the builders. Looks like it'll be a good rig for you.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
How great that you are getting the young one out and about, and doing it in a really neat rig...
Please keep posting up trip reports and pics, all the a parents out there need encouragement to keep kids playing in the dirt.

Of course we love pics and stories so don't hold out on us :)
Enjoy the adventure

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
How great that you are getting the young one out and about, and doing it in a really neat rig...
Please keep posting up trip reports and pics, all the a parents out there need encouragement to keep kids playing in the dirt.

Of course we love pics and stories so don't hold out on us :)
Enjoy the adventure

Thanks! I'll keep this thread up to date. The camper is great in the winter, but it's going to be INSANE in the summer. The outside shower (and inside), solar and other amenities are going to allow us to really base camp at some cool locations.

Phoenix is going to create a pass through and a nifty bike rack adapter, and this rig is GTG. More pics to follow.

Cheers

Butch

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
Why do you want a 'pass through'? It provides potential for leaks, both water and thermal, and has to have a way to disconnect for the tilt cab.

I know lots do it but cannot see why. I would never have one unless I had the type of vehicle that could have a real walk through.

Great looking rig by the way - glad you found something that meets your needs so easily.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
@Alastair, Thanks for the feedback. We have been kind of on the fence about this, and still might not do it. With our little girl traveling up front with us at the moment, we were thinking that the option of being able to move her to the back might be a nice alternative at times. I hear you about opening ourselves up to leaks and also wonder how "functional" it will really be while moving.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Butch

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I am in agreeance with Alistair on this one, even though I have a pass-thru in my own truck. I have spent many an hour talking people out of having a pass-thru, but some people seem convinced that one is "necessary".
For me it is a requirement as we have an assistance dog that will always travel with us. There is no room in the cab for the dog and the thought of locking her in the camper without access to us is not an option.

Apart from the things Alastair has already mentioned, one of the biggest negatives of a pass-thru is that you lose a wall in the camper. This can seriously affect the usable space in the camper and gives less layout options. Basically, you are swapping a wall for a hole.

If I were you I would be thinking long and hard if a pass-thru is really needed, or if it is something you just think would be nice to have.

A pass through creates some interesting challenges for waterproofing and heat and gasses passing up from the engine between the cab and camper body. It will also need a nifty engineering solution for easy disconnection when you have to tilt the cab.

But if you can do it, I say go for it! It will be great.

I have seriously considered something like this for our kids (7 & 9 years old) to pass through, but it was just too much on my plate at the time with everything else we were doing on our Fuso.

I see EarthCruiser has a solution for a pass through.

Last edited:

Tatted

Adventurer
@ Tatted we are in the Denver area, so a trip slightly farther North is always a possibility. Bummer we aren't going to be in Estes at the same time. This summer is going to packed full of backroad adventures. Are you planning on dry camping or can you carry water without it freezing in the Northstar?
We just dry camp. Have the topper on right now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles