The Dana 50 TTB and getting it under my E350 van.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
From Brady at Clydesdale/Sportsman4x4:
"My best advice and what we have done is find an abs sensor the same as yours and cut the back of it off flush. That way you can get the positioning of the sensor correct in the steering knuckle before you have to drill a hole through it. Test fit it all before you put the brake rotor on the hub. It's fairly easy. The hardest part is machining the hub to accept the abs ring. Sometimes we have to machine the hub down and then build a spacer ring that gets heated with the torch and then dropped on. The abs ring is to large to fit the hub, therefore the spacer needs to be built. We usually mount the abs sensor on the front side of the knuckle, away from the brake caliper."

So this ^^^ along with a 1/16th" air gap between the sensor and tone ring should have this particular issue solved.... WOOT!!!

Ramsey is telling you to look at a quigley setup and copy what they did for the sensors and tone ring. At least that is what I get from his "clues ".

That is exactly what I suggested and is simpler to do.

You will have some machine work to do on a mill with that approach. Quigley does it a little different. Either way placement is critical.

Last edited:

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
I just have to chime in here:

Chris helps everyone he can; there is no "secret sauce". Everyone knows exactly What a UJ conversion is, and that if you decide to do one or even something similar, Chris will try to help you. My point is, this level of sharing and customer service certainly hasn't hurt UJ's business. Quite the opposite. Someone may need to rethink their approach. :) Sorry for the rant, But this cagey game of "submarine" that Ramsey is playing with the poor OP is just annoying the h*ll out of me.

You are way off base - read the entire thread, I have provide substantial information and also steered people away from making mistakes.

Let us see what Chris (and other) say on the subject:

A little vent, info to share as I've had a few guys lately try to bypass us/use us for info/think they can do it better cheaper. Here's a piece of an email I got yesterday:

"Chris, I had mentioned in the email that I sent a couple of weeks ago that I should have stuck with the kit that I bought from you originally. My mechanic thought he could do it better and cheaper…. and he was wrong. Almost double the cost and I still don't have a working 4x4. So with that said I am sending you pictures of what he has done."

Also just got an email from my spring supplier, another guy trying to get our specs and details on springs. Nice try :) We've been doing business together for almost 15 years, not our 1st time around the block if you know what I mean.

I just don't get it.
Why someone would try to copy a readily available conversion system in order to save a couple dollars is beyond me.

What is the saying "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Scheisters!!!

yes, I understand it completely too. have 0 issues with guys making their own stuff. Just don't send me 40 emails and then try to cut me out of the process.

Boy does this sound all too familiar! Lol! "Hey Chris, can you tell me who you get your stuff from so I can buy it direct?"

Even folks that deviate from your proven system thinking they know better always pay for it in the end.

"I'll source my own springs. Oh crap! Their too tall for the pitman arm/drag link to steer properly!"

"I'll use this old SMB transmission/t-case adapter. Oh crap! Blah, blah, blah..."

"Hey! I just bought this $2,000 van and I want it 4wd in 2 weeks for $1,500."

Ok. Sorry! I'm done.

Yep, it happens! Learn the hard way sometimes. Sold a guy some spring hangers a while back and he did everything himself and then sold the van. The new owner called me and it was quite the task to get it right for him over the phone.

A few clues and pointers are better than nothing. I'd say the old saying "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" applies. He did the hard work of figuring it out, he's under no requirement to give it out.

Another concern not touched on is that if he tells how to do it, some other idiot follows 'his' directions, they flip their truck because they screwed something up, and he looses his buisness in the legal battle that ensues... Even though he was only trying to help

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Wow...
I thought this thread was about Philos putting a homebrew TTB in his van?? I want to see more pictures! Who's with me?!

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
Originally Posted by 350outrage View Post I just have to chime in here:
Sorry for the rant, But this cagey game of "submarine" that Ramsey is playing with the poor OP is just annoying the h*ll out of me.

I have to chime in too. Chris and Ramsey are under no obligation to share any information at all. The fact that they do, has assisted dozens of people with home brew conversions, and that information has been given freely. Both of them have built their business based on what they know, and the fact that they share their hard earned knowledge for free here is amazing. Crapping in someones thread will get you banned on several of the other forum's I frequent, and I totally understand why. Be glad that Chris and Ramsey are willing to take the time out of a busy day running thier businesses to help folks that may or may not ever become customers. If you think they are withholding information or misleading you, don't get your pantys in a knot, just remember, you get what you pay for. Take your van to either one of them for conversion and you will drive away quite happy. Ok, rant over..........

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Wow...I thought this thread was about Philos putting a homebrew TTB in his van?? I want to see more pictures! Who's with me?!

TTB isn't my thing for off road but I'm with you. Poor guys thread is turning into a soap opera.

Here's the star of the show:
You are way off base - read the entire thread, I have provide substantial information and also steered people away from making mistakes.

Tired of the all the self-aggrandizement, self-promotion, chest thumping, fist pounding and cock measuring. Yo, BajaSportsmobile, not your forum, not your thread, not your concern. Is Agile Offroad even an EP supporter? Then people rush to his defense saying he's busy growing his business while he claims to be on a beach in Baja and to have handed off the reins of his company to someone else. If he can be a hard-working businessman and a beach-combing retiree then why can't Philos be a DIY'r and do a little open-source designing on this forum?

jydog

I bought this the other day. Still has the center section of the frame. Let me know if any of those measurements would be of any use to you and
I will do my best to get them as accurate as I can. The front track width of a van is 69.4" according to Ford. Anyone know the track with of the f350
or f250 IFS Axle?

IMG_20160102_164435734.jpg

jydog

While trying to find the Front Track width I ran across the info below and decided to post here in case it will help someone.

Dana 50 IFS/TTB Service Manual link below

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5326.pdf

Dana 50 Axle Parts, Gears, and Upgrades

Axle Specifications:
Ring Gear Diameter: 9.00
Diff Cover Bolts: 10
Ring Gear Bolts: 10
Axle Spline Count: 30
Axle Shaft Style: Semi-Float
C-Clips: No
Pinion Support: No
Pinion Nut: 1-1/8"
Pinion Crush Sleeve: Yes
Carrier Breaks: No
Dropout Carrier: No
Torque Specifications:
Pinion Preload New: 14 to 19 in-lbs
Pinion Preload Reused: 6 to 9 in-lbs
Ring Gear Backlash: .006" to .010"
Ring Gear Bolt Torque: 65 ft-lbs
Carrier Bearing Caps: 60 ft-lbs
Dana 50 Axle Models:
Dana 50 (Solid Axle)
Dana 50 TTB (IFS / Twin Traction Beam)
Popular Applications:
Ford F-250 1980 - 1999 Front (TTB)
Ford F-350 1998 - 1999 Front (TTB)
Ford F-250 Super Duty 1999 - 2002 Front (Solid)
Ford F-350 Super Duty 1999 - 2002 Front (Solid)
Ford Excursion 2000 - 2005 Front (Solid)

Interesting fact is that the The GAWR of a TTB Dana 50 was 4600 lbs. 400 less than the straight 50.

philos

Explorer
Deep breath everyone.
I'm going to just try and stay on track here.
Jydog - stoked to see you have an axle!
I know we got a few dimensions earlier in the thread, but not sure we ever nailed down the frame pivot points (I'm on my mobile now and won't go through all the pages of the thread like this). Distance between pivots and any other measurements you can think of related are certainly welcome :)

Sent via flux capacitor

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
BajaSportsmobile, not your forum, not your thread, not your concern. Is Agile Offroad even an EP supporter? Then people rush to his defense saying he's busy growing his business while he claims to be on a beach in Baja and to have handed off the reins of his company to someone else. If he can be a hard-working businessman and a beach-combing retiree then why can't Philos be a DIY'r and do a little open-source designing on this forum?

So, then I shouldn't be expected to answer questions and give advice - or criticized for not living up to your expectations - got it!

Looking forward to seeing these projects completed.

philos

Explorer
Had a big fire pit to sandblast, so I tried out my new sand attachment for my pressure washer. Works a treat!
Used it on my knuckles and the outside of my hubs. Then I used the regular water only tips and blasted off the inside of the hubs and all the axle shafts. Oh yeah, did the dust shields too, then painted the shields.
Got a few parts in as well. 3 Spicer 1350 universal joints and some new spring clamps for the rubber boot on the slip yoke on the passenger shafts.

Not very exciting, but art and furniture sales are generally slow for me this time of year so that's as far as I'm getting right now :)

ffb63141d53cab28059c3ac40b1e0e4d.jpg

804071468a209df26feeabf13685a420.jpg

This isn't the fire pit I was sandblasting today, but I can't resist showing off a bit (my thread, right?)....
df2aa5800c655aec4e4adc8c11546dd3.jpg

cheers

Sent via flux capacitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles