G55 Build

asutherl

Observer
I'll see if I can confirm the cooler count!

Any recommendations for independent service shops in the Portland area?

otiswesty

Regular guy
MBI is a large Mercedes indy shop here. I had my 300GD worked on there for 8 years. My G500's have been serviced at the downtown MB dealer which sees a fairly large volume of Gwagens compared to other parts of the country. They are currently working on my truck, rebuilding the transmission and servicing the intermediate shaft.

Another indy option is Hartmann Motors, Craig and his dad and uncle are all G owners and do good work. Craig is building a Wolf from his old Swiss 230GE Cabrio, his dad and uncle are building a double cab truck out of a salvage G500. So they know their way around them. It kind of depends what part of town you are in. I don't know anywhere in the Cama/Vancouver are, Omega Motors may be the closest in NoPo. They also have a good reputation and are probably the most reasonable of all the places I mentioned.

cols110

Observer
Yes they all have seem to have 2 x air oil coolers, my 2000 G55 has both.

At one stage I was interested in fitting a winch but decided against it due to the hassle of trying to re-mount the engine air oil cooler.

My G55 is not my primary off roader either so it did not worry my to much not being able to easily fit a winch, my Defender has one up front.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
MBI is a large Mercedes indy shop here. I had my 300GD worked on there for 8 years. My G500's have been serviced at the downtown MB dealer which sees a fairly large volume of Gwagens compared to other parts of the country. They are currently working on my truck, rebuilding the transmission and servicing the intermediate shaft.

Another indy option is Hartmann Motors, Craig and his dad and uncle are all G owners and do good work. Craig is building a Wolf from his old Swiss 230GE Cabrio, his dad and uncle are building a double cab truck out of a salvage G500. So they know their way around them. It kind of depends what part of town you are in. I don't know anywhere in the Cama/Vancouver are, Omega Motors may be the closest in NoPo. They also have a good reputation and are probably the most reasonable of all the places I mentioned.

Damn Doc, what happened to your tranny? :( That's going to be one sizable bill. If you have any other tranny woes I'd suggest John or Joey at Marsh Transmission in Tualatin. Much more affordable than Lithia Mercedes.

Craig left Hartmann over a year ago, unless he's back now. I look forward to seeing their DoKa!

otiswesty

Regular guy
Damn Doc, what happened to your tranny? :( That's going to be one sizable bill. If you have any other tranny woes I'd suggest John or Joey at Marsh Transmission in Tualatin. Much more affordable than Lithia Mercedes.

Craig left Hartmann over a year ago, unless he's back now. I look forward to seeing their DoKa!

Sorry for not mentioning your shop Jeremy. You guys did some good work for me a few years ago.
My trans is being rebuilt at Sun Valley Mercedes Transmissions in Van Nuys right now. Sent there at my request.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Sorry for not mentioning your shop Jeremy. You guys did some good work for me a few years ago.
My trans is being rebuilt at Sun Valley Mercedes Transmissions in Van Nuys right now. Sent there at my request.

No worries Eric. We very much appreciated the opportunity to work on your G! Don't hesitate to let us know how we can help again. We're just 3min from the dealer, $20-30/hr less, and a family business like Rasmussen was.
Ahh very nice on SVMT. I bet you're looking forward to getting it back.

PS--I saw you about 2wks ago on the 405 near PSU, you were a few rigs back in traffic.

asutherl

Observer
I've been busy with work but got the G out in the snow! Only mod lately is getting the wireharness built for the rack lights, but still need to figure out a RF switch set up.

G55 Snow.jpg

Attachments

• G55 Snow.jpg
    G55 Snow.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 156

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
No G yet for me, but love my GSP. Definitely a breed I'll be sticking with for a while.
fe6b631e95ac196047e55d53e879fc22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles