Stove: Camp Chef Everest vs Stansport High Ouput

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I really like my Everest, but have been slightly disappointed at my ability to maintain a very low flame. Knobs are a bit sticky and don't seem to stay exactly where I turn them to. Anyone have adjustment tips that would help?
Mine does this too. I thought about disassembling and cleaning the valves. But before I try that I'm gonna give their tech support a call first and see what they say. I think I've had mine for at least 2 years now.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Mine does this too. I thought about disassembling and cleaning the valves. But before I try that I'm gonna give their tech support a call first and see what they say. I think I've had mine for at least 2 years now.

I'm gonna try a little lubricant and see if that helps on my next camp trip. I'll report back here. If you hear anything interesting from tech support, please let us know!

brentbba

Explorer
Been considering downsizing to the Everest. I like it because it's got a much higher BTU output than a Coleman I've got and just two burners. My Coleman is the type that's got the grill/griddle on one side and burner on the other side. I just don't use the grill side much and it cooks very unevenly regardless. Larger skillets don't fit well on the burner side. It's good for bring water to a boil for coffee in the morning! My main stove when I'm going to be in one spot for more than overnight is a bulky big Camp Chef two burner Expedition type stove - HUGE. Since I'm by myself (wife DOES NOT camp) I really don't need that big a stove, even if I do have room in the trailer! LOL What I do like is the grill box I can use on the larger Camp Chef stove. I use it a LOT and that's why I've kept the bulky heavy stove so long. Fell in love with the 3 burner during scouting when I cooked for all the Dad's!

One thing I have to use on the larger Camp Chef is a metal diffuser. The BTU output is so hi, it's hard to simmer anything, even on the lowest setting. Sounds like the Everest isn't far behind in this regard? I got the diffuser on the Camp Chef site. Works well, but maybe overkill on the Everest?

http://www.campchef.com/flame-tamer.html

Crom

Brent, I've got the camp chef triple burner expedition 3x stove and I have the single burner grill box. The stove is heavy as sin, but oh so nice when cooking for large groups. I also own the Everest stove. With the Everest you will not need a diffuser plate. The burners on the Everest are closer to the pan and flame control is pretty good/excellent.

For that single burner grill box, I really like it, I've been thinking of getting a single burner stove for it like the Pro 30. Much more portable.

Crom

I'm gonna try a little lubricant and see if that helps on my next camp trip. I'll report back here. If you hear anything interesting from tech support, please let us know!

Okay. According to Camp Chef tech support, the reason the knobs feel sticky, is because of a rubber o-ring. I was told that the more you turn / play with the dials the less they will stick.

Personally, I'm going to pull the knobs and take a deeper look inside. :D

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I guess I better be careful what I spray in there so it doesn't break down the o-ring... I think your idea is better than mine.

traveldud

Observer
I put this out there before and hopefully someone has an answer for the following: How does the quality of the stove compare to the Partner 22" stove? The partner stove is $275 and half the BTU, however appears to be all aluminum; looks tough as it can get. The camp chef appears to have a stainless steel tray and lid (?), which makes me believe the bottom half is out of carbon steel painted. I really like twice the BTU, less than half the price, however I also need the adapter for a propane tank, which is the route I'd like to go.

From above, everyone seems to love the camp chef, however there's no comment on durability/quality. Thanks in advance for the advice!

brentbba

Explorer
Used to own a 3x as well when involved with Scouts. Had the double grill box and double cast iron griddle. All excellent. I know what you mean about heavy as sin!!! Downsized to the 2x and it's still heavy as sin and I'm finding that I just use my little Coleman grill/burner combo stove more and more. The burner side is just too darn small. I'd really miss the single grill box I use with the 2x and that's my dilemma. Damn you on the Pro30! :drool: LOL! That'd be a nice option for the times I want to grill...which when camping is a LOT of my meals.

Crom

I put this out there before and hopefully someone has an answer for the following: How does the quality of the stove compare to the Partner 22" stove? The partner stove is $275 and half the BTU, however appears to be all aluminum; looks tough as it can get. The camp chef appears to have a stainless steel tray and lid (?), which makes me believe the bottom half is out of carbon steel painted. I really like twice the BTU, less than half the price, however I also need the adapter for a propane tank, which is the route I'd like to go.

From above, everyone seems to love the camp chef, however there's no comment on durability/quality. Thanks in advance for the advice!

I've never personally seen a partner steel stove in real life, just in the forums. That being said, I think the durability of the partner steel is probably in another class, and much better than the camp chef. The camp chef is an import from china and I'm sure you know what that usually means.

I love the feature of the recessed knobs on the parner steel stove. Because I have the camp chef, I feel like I have to pack it in a tote to protect it during transit to camp sites. Overall I'm happy with it, and I hope it lasts a long time (with care).

Hope this helps.

traveldud

Observer
It does. Thank you. Is the bottom of the camp chef painted steel and just the lid stainleess? Do you use an adapter for the propane tanks? What keeps me in the Camp Chef corner is the BTU output and price. Hopefully there will be some more feedback at some point.

Crom

It does. Thank you. Is the bottom of the camp chef painted steel and just the lid stainleess? Do you use an adapter for the propane tanks? What keeps me in the Camp Chef corner is the BTU output and price. Hopefully there will be some more feedback at some point.
The bottom is powder coated sheet metal as far as I can tell. The BTU output rocks! I'm very happy about the performance. I used to use adapter and hose to 11lb and 20lb. propane bottles, but I find that the 1lb bottles are much more convenient and faster for setup and breakdown and portability.

I have about (10) 1lb. bottles that I refill when empty so I save $ that way.

I would say I can cook ~15 meals on one 1lb bottle.

When camping family of four, for 5 days I usually pack (3) 1lb bottles and that's more than enough.

traveldud

Observer
you should get a cut from Camp Chef! I'm trying to find reasons to buy the Partner, but for the limited times I'm out at this point and the positive reviews I should employ some common sense...not always easy! Thanks Crom!

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
We like our Camp Chef Everest as well, use the heck out of it on our relatively long trips. But eventually you will replace the brass goose-neck fitting that connects the stove to propane source. It will leak either at the rubber seal on the end of the fitting or the diaphragm will perforate, resulting in an uncontrolled spray of propane through the vent hole on the regulator when you try to hook it up.

We've gone through two of them in just under 3 years, one of each type of failure.

Plus side is they are fairly cheap and Camp Chef will overnight you one if you call them direct.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I had to revive this thread with an update. I purchased the Camp Chef Everest stove last June. I've used it twice since then. I've noticed that yes, the knobs are a little tight and it is difficult to adjust to a low flame, but it can be done. I am a big fan of the bigger BTU output as I like my breakfast cooked in less than an hour and the old Coleman propane with what 5k BTU was barely a hand-warmer compared to this stove. Takes about 20 minutes with this stove. HOWEVER - and this is upper-case for a reason. Both times I have used the stove, which equals every time I've used the stove, flames randomly shoot out the plastic top of the regulator. I tried everything I knew to try - re-seating the connections, making sure nothing was causing any stress to the connections, using the burner furthest away, nothing works. You cannot leave this stove unattended. I finally contacted Camp Chef support - if you have this problem, go directly to support, as the chat-line people are clueless as to what products they sell and how they work. At first they requested a receipt. Well, I'm not digging around for a receipt for an issue like this, - it is a life-threatening defect in the equipment. For some reason they had to have pictures of the regulator and the bottom of the stove, which I sent them. After getting the pictures, they quickly sent out a new regulator. I'll see how that works the next time I'm out which should be in about a month. Just because this is how I roll, I think I will try sealing the top of the old regulator with epoxy and keep the new one as a backup :)

At any rate, I find it disturbing that such an expensive stove comes with plastic fittings on one of the most life-critical parts. That's the downside of buying stuff online.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles