EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Good stuff.

There is another thread on ExPo here somewhere where a guy is custom fabbing up a one off removable camper for a JKU, and it looks awesome!

Cant wait to see what happens with this.

Xrunner

Explorer
Anyone have the link?

I think bamajeep's build thread might be the one Greg was referring too?

attachment.php

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I think bamajeep's build thread might be the one Greg was referring too?

Yeah that's the one. I love the shape and size, not sure about the construction methods?

Oh, the plywood is gonna set Mike off!

Lol...

Is it intended to be permanent, or is it a plug for a fiberglas mold?

I can't remember, it has been a while since I read through that thread. If it is, then great. If not, might be heavy, like really heavy. Though I have seen some plywood based builds that are done with Baltic Birch (marine industry grade) and epoxy/glass/carbon fibre that turned out pretty amazing and light too. They were done with boat building techniques rather than framing construction techniques.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Because of my cabin being the master for the molds, a huge amount of time was spent over the past month filling and sanding to get the body super fair and smooth. So while it's not like anyone will ever know, my cabin will have a show-quality finish . . . at least until I run a branch across it. ;)

When I talked to them pre-Christmas, Red Cannon was wrapping up the mold making and was expecting to soon be on the paint shop's list to have the cabin repainted. After it comes back from the paint shop and gets remounted onto the chassis, Dion expects more obvious progress to be made.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Mike...

I am wondering, who owns the rights to the original camper shell molds...???... Seems to me that making a direct copy of the camper shell off of an existing vehicle is at best ethically challenging... That is what you said that Dion is doing, right..???... Or am I missing something...???...

I have a feeling if I were to get a rare, limited edition vehicle and make a direct body mold, then reproduce them, the owner of the original vehicle might have the lawyers getting ready to serve a copyright violation, cease and desist order... Lawyers love to get their hands on cases like this... There could be a lot of time, energy and materials wasted by you and Dion if that is the case...

Why not be original, and create a new camper shell and not steal someone elses work...???...

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Depends if the designer had royalty rights or contract etc. We call this splashing a hull in the sailing world of one design. In sail boats designers license builders and get royalty tags for each hull built. But unethical types splash an existing hull, tweak the deck design slightly then sell a new boat with a different name. The Chinese started doing this about 10yrs ago in the OD sailing scene.

Typically today original molds are cnc cut out of foam then a production mold is made off that.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I am wondering, who owns the rights to the original camper shell molds...???... Seems to me that making a direct copy of the camper shell off of an existing vehicle is at best ethically challenging... That is what you said that Dion is doing, right..???... Or am I missing something...???... I have a feeling if I were to get a rare, limited edition vehicle and make a direct body mold, then reproduce them, the owner of the original vehicle might have the lawyers getting ready to serve a copyright violation, cease and desist order... Lawyers love to get their hands on cases like this... There could be a lot of time, energy and materials wasted by you and Dion if that is the case... Why not be original, and create a new camper shell and not steal someone elses work...???...
In this space last night, I wrote a vigorous reply to what I thought was an unwarranted attack on the appropriateness of making molds for the some of the Red Cannon cabin parts from unmodified sections of my EarthRoamer-made cabin. In the course of doing so, I made several references to interactions that Dion and I had with EarthRoamer and EarthRoamer founder Bill Swails.

I pretty much messed up in the way I did this, as the points I made implied a degree of communication and interaction with EarthRoamer that could lead reasonable people to believe that EarthRoamer had some sort of relationship with Red Cannon, perhaps even to the point of believing that EarthRoamer was "sanctioning" of what Red Cannon was doing. This definitely wasn't, and isn't, the case, and I never meant to imply it was. (And I certainly should have somehow let on that I understood that communicating personally with Bill isn't the same as working with EarthRoamer-the-company in any event.)

Anyway, in spite of the backpedaling and caveats I quickly added below, the post I had here remained full of faulty references to interactions with EarthRoamer. In my attempt to produce a compelling argument, I'd inadvertently overstated the communications with EarthRoamer and accidentally implied that there was more of a relationship between Red Cannon/Dion and EarthRoamer than there is . . . because, in fact, there is none. And given that EarthRoamer, quite prudently I suppose, does not want to be linked with Red Cannon or Dion (or little Wrangler camper cabins, for that matter), it's not good if what I wrote incorrectly made anyone think there's a relationship where none exists.

I set out to edit the golden prose that had been here to fix the problems, but found I had referenced EarthRoamer or Bill in virtually every paragraph. It made more sense, then, to just nuke the previous arguments and apologize for writing a bunch of stuff that could make people think Red Cannon and EarthRoamer had somehow worked together on this project. My bad, and I'll be more careful in the future.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles