Lateral movement while camped

Septu

Explorer
So something that has been an issue the last two years since modifying my trailer from it's initial setup to how it is now, is a lot of annoying lateral movement. When I roll over, the whole trailer moves. At 235 I'm not skinny... but this is still annoying. This change only became an issue when I changed out the RTT's I was using after moving from a Tepui Kukenam to a James Baroud Escape, that sits 6" higher then the Tepui did, and where I sleep length wise vs width wise (and half the tent was over the side of the trailer).

I'm willing to put down stabilizing feet if I have too, but I'd rather not go that route if I do not have to. A new lid that is a little shorter is on the agenda at some point down the road. Also most of the time when camping, I've removed the 11 gal of water and most of my camping gear (chairs, axe, stove/cooking stuff). Also on my list is to build a pull out kitchen built in on the front drivers side of the trailer with a 10-15 gal water tank over the axle. The full size spare (that I'm currently always hauling around) would be mounted/secured above those. I'm curious if that much weight down low would be enough to counter act this movement, or if I'd have to go with a bunch of different things (stabilizing legs, lower profile lid, more weight while camped, etc).

Just looking for some suggestions so I can ponder things over the winter.

How it was with the Tepui.
1052445_10151473976382595_2126143486_o.jpg

Now with the James Baroud
10615626_10152217492992595_2307638746892757848_n.jpg

jays0n

Adventurer
Honestly I'm surprised you didn't see the same movement with the tent, I can't imagine that small change in height would cause this issue but who knows I guess. I would go with some stabilizers, I have the tongue jack and a stabilizer on each of the rear corners. I usually lower the tongue pretty far, drop the stabilizers as low as they go, toss some blocks under and crank the tongue back up to level. This just takes most of the load off of the springs but keeps some so the tires are still providing some stability. Two of us sleep in the tent that's base is 6' off the ground and it's quite stable if either of us moves around.

cwadej

just a guy
My homebuilt is as stabile as can be. Tongue jack and a BAL C on each back corner. Maggiolina on top of a truck bed trailer, no movement at all.

TheFutur

Adventurer
I have a similar issue, i have a tepui Kukenam and sleep length-wise with the trailer. Im going to be installing some jacks over winter break to fix it. Lowering the COG will help but it wont slove it. Until you take some weight of the springs and put it on some solid blocks or jacks you will always have a bit of wobble because the springs naturally move when you do, a jack wont move when you do.

Septu

Explorer
Honestly I'm surprised you didn't see the same movement with the tent, I can't imagine that small change in height would cause this issue but who knows I guess.

I think because any side to side movement in the old tent would have been front to back on the trailer. There probably was some movement on the trailer when getting in/out, but as the tent itself always moved a bit, I might have just wrote it off.

I'll start with getting jacks on each of the rear corners and see what that does. If that makes a noticeable difference, I'll look into getting one on the front as well.

Thanks.

indiedog

Adventurer
The Tepui arrangement likely meant that half of your combined tent/body weight was transferred to the ground via the ladder, so the trailer only carried close to half the weight it carries now with the Baroud. Also looks like you had the Tepui forward of the axle so you had a nice wide stabiliser in the jockey wheel to balance out your rolls. Not sure from the photos but looks like the Baroud places you more centrally over the axle so you aren't getting as much of a stabiliser effect from the jockey wheel. So unless you can redistribute the weight I'd say you will need some stabilisers at the rear.

Box Rocket

Before you add a bunch of weight to try to counteract it (which might not work), maybe try one of the stabalizers like AT sells. I picked up an aluminum one like this one from my local Camping World. Simple, lightweight and eliminated all movement. The reason I went this route is because I didn't want to add rear feet that would reduce clearance under the back of the trailer. This one just packs up and goes into one of my bins when I travel. The below photo isn't mine but I have the same basic arrangement. Works perfectly.
IMG_8201.JPG

Septu

Explorer
Before you add a bunch of weight to try to counteract it (which might not work), maybe try one of the stabalizers like AT sells. I picked up an aluminum one like this one from my local Camping World. Simple, lightweight and eliminated all movement. The reason I went this route is because I didn't want to add rear feet that would reduce clearance under the back of the trailer. This one just packs up and goes into one of my bins when I travel. The below photo isn't mine but I have the same basic arrangement. Works perfectly.

I wouldn't want to add rear feet that are permanent - was thinking detachable jacks that I could clip on. However this looks like an even cheaper and just as effective solution.

Box Rocket

I wouldn't want to add rear feet that are permanent - was thinking detachable jacks that I could clip on. However this looks like an even cheaper and just as effective solution.

Much cheaper, totally effective and not permanently attached. Great solution IMO.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I've got the same problem. The truck suspension has a lot of flex, but can be an issue with the ladder and the tent. I've looked at the BAL and the AT Stabalizers, but I need about 33" of height. I'd also like to have them mounted on the trailer as to not take up spare for gear and equipment, but not stick down beyond the body. I have an few custom ideas on my head, but nothing that I'm happy with.

brian90744

American Trekker
Atwwod stabilizers

I bolted long Atwood stabilizers purchased off EBay, work great.

Attachments

• jack 5.jpg
    jack 5.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 18
  • jack 3.jpg
    jack 3.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 19
  • jack 1.jpg
    jack 1.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 18
  • jack 2.jpg
    jack 2.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 18

indiedog

Adventurer
I made some double telescoping stabilisers for the rear of my trailer. Works well and nothing hanging down to reduce departure angle. I can take a pic if desired. Height above ground when up is 20".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior