Any photos/opinnions of 3/4 length roof racks on G's vs. Full length roof rack?

PH4

Observer
Any photos/opinnions of 3/4 length roof racks on G's vs. Full length roof rack? I am going to purchase a Front Runner roof rack for my 2003 G500 and am going back and forth as to full length vs. 3/4. Obviously the full gives more area (I had a full Brownchurch rack on my LR 109) but it also goes over the sunroof. The 3/4 would still allow open sky versus looking through slats. Plenty of photos of full length but does anyone have photos of 3/4 length racks on Gs? In addition, any opinions, experience, or advice appreciated.

ILIAN

Adventurer
That lil rack looks nice Dutch. As far as choosing what size rack that all depends on how much area you need. If sunroof view is that important to you then get the 3/4 rack. Nice thing about Front Runner is that you can make the rack full size later easily. I made the full size longer by 1 slat and it covers the whole roof and allows me to mount a light bar under the rack in the front. It's also worked out perfect for what I carry up there.

ILIAN

Adventurer
On my rack I have 3 4gal Rotopax fuel containers, 1 Pelican long rifle case where I keep various light stuff like snatch rope and tire repair kit and Front Runner Ski/Snowboard mounts, 40" light bar and camping light. If I need more fuel I can fit another 2 2.5gal Rotopax fuel containers. I decided I was only going to have low profile items up there. I keep most of the weight up front since I have to load the rear pretty good with heavy fridge, dual batteries, water container etc. I haven't weighed the front and rear separately yet but I'm hoping to have the car well balanced.

burquedoka

Adventurer
Here is my old ARB 3/4 rack. I Moved onto a full length flat rack, looks better IMHO. I still have the ARB and is for sale, but shipping would not be worth it. Amazon has great deals on these and they ship for free.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 17

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
How often does anyone open their sunroof anymore and look at the sky? Get out of the G and look at the sky. ;)

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Here is my K9 Eezi Awn that's a 4/5 rack (2.2 M). I know some other companies make a 2.4M rack which basically goes from front windshield to the back gutter.

Attachments

• IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

raicar

3/4 roofrack

Hi PH4,

this is my 3/4 roofrack with cherry can holder and spare tire mount. With the 3/4 roofrack I can enjoy my sunroof - :)

raicar

IMG_0335.jpg

3 Quarter roofrack 3.jpg

NYCRover

Observer
looks like a Preining rack, which Mk216v identified for me when I was lusting after the racks that are available on the W461 PUR as well as G550s provided to Mike Horn for his K2 adventure. I believe it's the "factory" rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles