How many of us bring dutch oven along?

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
I pack two DO one fits inside the other. They are great for all meals and deserts plus there are some good cook books on here for free to download.
IMG_0937.jpg

mkitchen

Explorer
I pack two DO one fits inside the other. They are great for all meals and deserts plus there are some good cook books on here for free to download.

This is true. DO cooks love to share their food, their recipes and their tricks for taking care of their ovens. Certainly not a bad group to get to know. If you ever get the chance to go camping with a DO group, go for it. That is one camp out that you will not get hungry at.
Mikey

Joanne

Adventurer
16? Now that is serious cooking! :chef: I found a 16" Lodge a couple of months ago at a military surplus store. Lodge quit making them so I decided to grab it even though I don't need it. Just today I gave my son his first piece of iron, a 10" deep Camp Chef. A new oven along with a bit of instruction, and a couple of easy recipes, should get him started on the right foot.

Joanne

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well finally popping my cherry this weekend. I just picked up a lodge 10 dutch oven and a chefs platter. Got plans for great breakfasts and dinners salmon, roast chicken, bacon, eggs, pancakes, cobbler, popcorn etc. 3 days of cast cooking only! Fully commited lol. Pics to follow.

jerdog53

Explorer
Well I have a 10" cast iron DO that I inherited from my grandmother of unknown origin with a domed lid so I will have to get a flat lid which I see are available. I have cooked with this unit at home in the oven and on the stove but not with coals. Sure would like to get one of those bags from Blur Ridge Overland but alas there is none on there site. Maybe with proper prodding we could get a group by going.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Well I have a 10" cast iron DO that I inherited from my grandmother of unknown origin with a domed lid so I will have to get a flat lid which I see are available. I have cooked with this unit at home in the oven and on the stove but not with coals. Sure would like to get one of those bags from Blur Ridge Overland but alas there is none on there site. Maybe with proper prodding we could get a group by going.

Those are nice bags! I would be interested.

I talked to them about that a couple of weeks ago. They stopped selling them on the site, but will still make them if you custom order it from them.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I have one or two smaller disks left so I'm thinking of making a couple of 'diskata' (Cowboy woks).

IMGP1657_zps0cccb5d9.jpg

You can cook up a lot of food in one with just a propane burner. I would skip the legs and make a small stand instead.

Joanne

This is an old post, but I'm hoping Joanne is still monitoring this thread. Regarding the discata/discada photo - Have you actually used it over the portable campfire as shown? I've always wondered about whether it'd be practical to use my CampChef campfire as a cooking heat source, since I hate the idea of lugging multiple large propane-powered circles-with-stands. I imagine you would have hot spots, etc., but something conductive like carbon steel should even things out well enough, I'd think.

Just curious about your experience. Thanks!

ab1985

Explorer
This is an old post, but I'm hoping Joanne is still monitoring this thread. Regarding the discata/discada photo - Have you actually used it over the portable campfire as shown? I've always wondered about whether it'd be practical to use my CampChef campfire as a cooking heat source, since I hate the idea of lugging multiple large propane-powered circles-with-stands. I imagine you would have hot spots, etc., but something conductive like carbon steel should even things out well enough, I'd think.

Just curious about your experience. Thanks!

I've cooked in my Dutch oven using a tripod over my Campfire In A Can several times. It cooks evenly and no issues with hotspots. The propane fire ring does leave a ton of soot on the cast iron. I only use it in a pinch due to the extensive cleanup required.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've cooked in my Dutch oven using a tripod over my Campfire In A Can several times. It cooks evenly and no issues with hotspots. The propane fire ring does leave a ton of soot on the cast iron. I only use it in a pinch due to the extensive cleanup required.

Good info, thanks much. Maybe I need to construct some sort of modular propane-tool mounting ring where I can mount a fire burner or a dedicated banjo burner for actual cooking, then I can hang whatever cooking vessel I want over the top...

PhulesAU

Explorer
If you are doing small batches, like 2 - 6 peoples worth, you might consider making a spacer or modding a charcoal chimney. Nice concentrated heat , and the smaller Discadas fit nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles