Mustang as an overlander?

Mo4130

Adventurer
I guess no one wants to bite the bullet.....I think you're nuts. If you are talking about a straight road trip then yea the Mustang will be alright. But if you're talking about potentially taking it off road......that equivalent to stating that you are going to take a 16 foot sailboat across the pond. It is irresponsible and potentially dangerous.

Retired Tanker

Explorer
I guess I'm just not seeing the problem, here...

56.1%20bridge%20jump.JPG

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Really? What could go wrong besides getting stuck and breakages/trail repairs?

Exactly! What better way for a young man to learn the lessons of life? Go out an live it up!! Then decide if you want to trade the 'stang in on something that will take you farther down your path, or modify it, or stick to autocrossing...

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I bet it's safer than a loaded motorcycle on dirt roads etc.

Seriously, though, get the bashplates, and try to remedy the rusting in areas that matters. . Not so much for safety reasons, but because it might help if the suspension doesn't poke through the wing after a bump.

fike

Adventurer
It sounds like people are mixing-up overlanding with touring. I am pushing the boundaries of overlanding with a Subaru, but the recent thread on overlanding in a Prius and now a Mustang are a bit offtopic. If there isn't some substantial component of rugged offroad, your are touring.....which is cool too, but it's not overlanding.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
It sounds like people are mixing-up overlanding with touring. I am pushing the boundaries of overlanding with a Subaru, but the recent thread on overlanding in a Prius and now a Mustang are a bit offtopic. If there isn't some substantial component of rugged offroad, your are touring.....which is cool too, but it's not overlanding.

LOL, people can't even agree what "overlanding" is, and I bet we can't agree what touring is either. In my book, you can both be touring and overlanding at once. Or not.

Retired Tanker

Explorer

The OP wants to go off-roading...I think we're still on topic.

There's a bit of tongue in cheek going on here; I'm sure "soft roading" may be in his future, but he's new to the forum and may learn a bit by looking at what the rest of us are doing. Why discourage the guy?

As his limits are reached and he seeks to expand them, we'll be here for him!!

Mrmoustache

Lol the plan is to go hard, atv trails, off camber, rutted and washed out trails, water crossing, rock crawling etc, I will use speed and momentum for the more difficult spots!! And get dragged out when I'm stuck ********, the more I think about it the more excited I get, I'm laughing my *** off thinking about how much fun I'm gonna have.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I guess no one wants to bite the bullet.....I think you're nuts. If you are talking about a straight road trip then yea the Mustang will be alright. But if you're talking about potentially taking it off road......that equivalent to stating that you are going to take a 16 foot sailboat across the pond. It is irresponsible and potentially dangerous.

Very true, but the Darwinist in me is saying let him do it, if you know what I mean....

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Lol the plan is to go hard, atv trails, off camber, rutted and washed out trails, water crossing, rock crawling etc, I will use speed and momentum for the more difficult spots!! And get dragged out when I'm stuck ********, the more I think about it the more excited I get, I'm laughing my *** off thinking about how much fun I'm gonna have.

And I am sure many are laughing as well, very entertaining for sure!

Korben

Adventurer
I'm disappointed thinking it's more likely then not that your going to end up having to abandon the car. I don't care much about you or the car, I care about where you'll be abandoning it and how that makes the rest of us who appreciate the outdoors and what's left of the open trails look.
Want to explore some forest roads, sure, I've done that in a car, have fun. But be safe, my father hit some kid speeding around on those roads head on once, wasn't pretty. My dad was fine, barely bent the bumper, the other guy went down an embankment with his engine was in his lap. But want to go all gung ho crazy trying to right foot your way through something you have no business on, please don't. We spend weekends out in these trails pulling out all the trash and abandoned cars to keep them open. You coming here laughing about smashing everything up until you get into a spot that you can't recover from is, well I'll stop, PG forum.
Edit..
On the flip side I've had this nutty idea for a while I think is completely doable but I'll never have time to do it. Buy an old v8 explorer pop off the body and put a mustang body on it. Frame issues of course, would take some work, but I took a close look once, wouldn't be too bad. I was thinking more like 67 Mustang though, likely do it using repopped body parts vs. an original and just build it around the frame and a cage.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke