The Dana 50 TTB and getting it under my E350 van.

philos

Explorer
I asked for suggestions because you seemed to infer that my approach would require a lot of work on a mill, and that SMB does it differently.
I get the impression that you do it a different/potentially easier way... and I'd be into that.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
I asked for suggestions because you seemed to infer that my approach would require a lot of work on a mill, and that Quigley does it differently.
I get the impression that you do it a different/potentially easier way... and I'd be into that.

Quigley method might be easier for a DIY job - we have our own methods depending on year of van and spindle.

philos

Explorer
So you've stated at least twice that you have your own methods, but you won't give any more specific info for my application.

Sent via flux capacitor

TBS

Observer
This conversion isn't as flashy as the one posted prvieously, but it works. This guy wheels his rig and wheels it hard.

TBS

Observer
I'm trading off my Dana 60 now for a d50 TTB axle and getting ready to tackle this myself. I'll be watching and chiming if I find anything else useful.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
This van was a leaf sprung straight axle 4x4 that we converted to Dana 50 TTB for the long time owner. He wheels it really hard and loves it. He is also a great friend.

Did you notice the GM 14 Bolt Full Floater with Disk Brake Conversion and Detroit Locker we put in the back?

This conversion isn't as flashy as the one posted prvieously, but it works. This guy wheels his rig and wheels it hard.

Last edited:

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
So you've stated at least twice that you have your own methods, but you won't give any more specific info for my application.

Sent via flux capacitor

I've told you what I would do for your DIY project.

Should I lend you our fixtures and walk you through it?

You want me to put all our hard earn technology and design out on the internet for everyone to copy - I've already let too much out and people post what we figured out like it is something they came up with. I've given plenty of clues where I though you were headed down a wrong path to save you and all the others reading this thread from wasting time and money but I can't just show you the way. I'm sure you understand.

You wouldn't want me to post a thread on building lamps, complete with pictures of your lamps, would you?

TBS

Observer
You could just send over the CAD models and I'll make the fixtures 😜. Been following you two chatting over on pirate and have exchanged a few PM's over there with you on the topic. Should be an interesting project.

philos

Explorer

You want me to put all our hard earn technology and design out on the internet for everyone to copy - I've already let too much out and people post what we figured out like it is something they came up with. I've given plenty of clues where I though you were headed down a wrong path to save you and all the others reading this thread from wasting time and money but I can't just show you the way. I'm sure you understand.

You wouldn't want me to post a thread on building lamps, complete with pictures of your lamps, would you?

I'll go back and re-read everything you've posted. It's cryptic to me.
I get that you don't want to spill your secrets. I don't want a walk through, nor do I want your jigs.
I was looking for something along the lines of "don't mess with that side of the knuckle" or something more directive than "we do it differently, so does SMB"

My lamps/art/furniture are totally up for grabs. I regularly post process shots on my Instagram and am happy to spread what I've learned. My ideas aren't that original anyways, I'm just a vessel.
Case in point, I made a giant 40' long wave out of steel and driftwood as part of my thesis at art school. I've twice heard of other folks claiming it as their work. Let them claim it, I know who made it.
Different from what you do as a business, but I still get your point.

Anyway, would you be willing to let me drop my knuckle/spindle/etc at your shop and pay to have the magic done? I can have my attorney wife write up a non-disclosure agreement. Further, I'll keep your secret on my word. I need to bring your I-beam cores back anyway on my next table delivery to SD.

Sent via flux capacitor

philos

Explorer
You could just send over the CAD models and I'll make the fixtures . Been following you two chatting over on pirate and have exchanged a few PM's over there with you on the topic. Should be an interesting project.

I haven't been on pirate in some time. I don't even know if I've ever had an acct... So much hostility to wade through

Sent via flux capacitor

jydog

I can understand being elusive and not sharing trade secrets and the majority of people will go to Agile to have this done. The 5 or so people
he could help doing a DIY could help save someones life if they did it incorrectly. To me this is a time
he could showcase his expertise and gain customers .

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter

That business model seems to be working well for ujoint.
Show people exactly how to do it so the ones bringing you the a full conversion understand what goes into it, and sell the conversion parts and jigs to the DIY'ers.
If you really have something to protect you would have patents on the jigs and conversion parts.

Oh wait maybe I shouldn't be sharing this with you. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles