Shock suggestions....

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I'll be in the market for shocks sometime in the next few weeks, so I'm starting my research.... What are you guys all running? I'm a shorty van on 1 tons and leaf springs. The rig is being built to explore the wild wild west, it will be off-road just as much or more, than on-road. I don't plan on being very nice to the old girl, she's gonna be rode hard and put-up wet.

I went the budget route last time on my SAS explorer and used the RS9000's. They seemed ok, but I don't really have anything else to compare them to. So maybe they really sucked, and I just didn't know any better? I really like the FOX and KING reservoir shocks, the custom valving may be the key to getting this thing to ride the way I want it to. I'm a cheap-***, but I have no problem dropping some coin on good parts if that's what I need.

So I just figured I'd ask all you guys, since the 4x4 vans run rampant in here, what say you??

Sea.Jay

Observer
Kings all the way. I know there will be many proponents for fux shox, but if you are looking at a reservoir shock with custom valving I can assure you that king will take of you....now and down the road should any problems arise. I would also state what you're specifically needing because a pair of correctly valved bilsteins for a hundred bucks could be all you need

Lunchbox2

Explorer
That's kind of what I'm wondering.... Do I really NEED to drop $1000 on shocks, or will some 5100's do it for me? I'm hoping to talk to somebody this week and see what I really need.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Bilstiens work well on the Fords. Fox from Chris are about $670 for 4 and he could likely help you get the right set... or Agile. Agile has a set for Quigleys so he could likely help also.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Bilstiens work well on the Fords. Fox from Chris are about $670 for 4 and he could likely help you get the right set... or Agile. Agile has a set for Quigleys so he could likely help also.

$670 sounds reasonable enough.... Is Chris the guy from Ujoint offroad? I imagine the application itself doesn't matter, he probably just needs to know what this pig is going to weigh. Maybe I'll reach out to him this week and see what he says.... Thanks for the input!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I can't find the thread/where I got $670 from. Ujoint has Fox 2.0 for $125 for smooth and $250 (each) for reservor shocks. Agile has custom valved shocks in his RIP kit for $130/each.

Here's my similar thread... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/132892-Shocks-for-1997-E350-Ambulance-package

I think either shop can help you find what will suit your needs since they both seem to know their stuff from what I've been reading. I don't have the good fortune of living close enough to stop in. One day I will when I'm down their way.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I can't find the thread/where I got $670 from. Ujoint has Fox 2.0 for $125 for smooth and $250 (each) for reservor shocks. Agile has custom valved shocks in his RIP kit for $130/each.

Here's my similar thread... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/132892-Shocks-for-1997-E350-Ambulance-package

I think either shop can help you find what will suit your needs since they both seem to know their stuff from what I've been reading. I don't have the good fortune of living close enough to stop in. One day I will when I'm down their way.

Which shock did you end up with?

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I'm with you smurf, I don't plan on running the Baja 1000, but I want to be able to bomb down backroads and trails at reasonable speeds. It seems like nobody is interested in talking to you unless you're building a race truck or rock crawler....

G

Gravity

If you're looking for the best bang for the buck - Go with properly valvesd Bilstein 5100s. Under 100/ea.... yes, the Reservoir 5160s or Fox's would be sweet but these work well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Lunchbox2

Explorer
If you're looking for the best bang for the buck - Go with properly valvesd Bilstein 5100s. Under 100/ea.... yes, the Reservoir 5160s or Fox's would be sweet but these work well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That seems to be the general consensus.... Bilsteins seem to work well, but the ones that stepped up to the FOX (or similar) were really happy with the decision. So I just need to get on the horn, and see what kind of deals these guys are going to give me... Thanks for the input!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I haven't swapped them... Yet. Fronts are Monroe. I got some Motorcraft shocks in a pile of free parts. One is installed and the other will soon be. I'll need to install a new radius arm to swap the other since the stud broke off. Sometimes I hate working on old trucks. Initial impression is that it works better than the Monroe.

I've got a new front suspension to install from an Ambo that was written off right after the front end was rebuilt.

Last edited:

jblaze5779

Observer
I haven't swapped them... Yet. Fronts are Monroe. I got some Motorcraft shocks in a pile of free parts. One is installed and the other will soon be. I'll need to install a new radius arm to swap the other since the stud broke off. Sometimes I hate working on old trucks. Initial impression is that it works better than the Monroe.

I've got a new front suspension to install from an Ambo that was written off ight after the front end was rebuilt.

Drill out the stud mount and replace it with a 3 inch 5/8ths bolt.

I had the same issue.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I was already planning to replace the radius arm. The original one needs new ball joints... And the new one has already had them replaced, new rotors, new callipers, and likely new bearings. Did I also mention I was given it :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles