My homemade recovery traction pads

falfrenzy

Observer
So here is my contribution for those who are unwilling to drop the money on MaxTrax, or like me, just want to be a little bit different.

20151025_142808.jpg

20151025_153435.jpg

20151025_163121.jpg

20151025_165540.jpg

20151025_184521.jpg

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Ever wonder why MaxTrax always gets mentioned in traction mat threads? Because they are not only the best product but the guys representing and selling them are some of the best guys to talk to at places like the overland expo. Everybody aims for the top and the top in the traction mat buisness is clearly established by MaxTrax.
Homemade ones are fine and yours are the best I've seen. Nice job! You can stack rocks or logs in a pinch. Use a floor mat or even run over your hi-lift. Not as good as MaxTrax but building a road is part of recovery.
I should have taken pictures of the recovery I did near Death Valley last week. Our usual spot was washed out so we were at the little dunes. A motorhome pulling a trailer got stuck then a huge motorhome bus with a stacker trailer got stuck going around him. The first one just needed a tug but the bus was buried to the bumper with the front of the trailer dug in the sand. I buried the van pulling him but the owner had huge RV sized traction mats. That got me out then I got the bus out but got stuck pulling his 20,000 lbs trailer out. The bus backed up so I could it as a winch point and got stuck again. Two hours of digging, winching and using mats and trailer ramps as roads got three vehicles and two heavy trailers out. Your mats would have come in handy and I'm becoming a firm believer in them.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
What material is that? Rubber?
Out west we have stores called TSC or Tractor Supply Company. It's like a Walmart for farmers or a farm co-op store. They call them different things in different parts but it's also equestrian or horse supply stores. His looks just like the $16 mats they sell that you put over concrete for horses. Saw them just yesterday. Same size and thickness as his and it's tuff enough for horses with shoes on. Look for them piled up by the front door. So cheap that they do not even lock them up at night but then again us country folks don't steal. They are kinda heavy. I wonder if falfrenzy could thow his set with the bolts on a bathroom scale for us? I'll guess 40 lbs for the pair.

falfrenzy

Observer
Yes, equestrian/livestock mat. 1/2" thick, made of rubber.

I was guessing about 10lbs each, but the scale doesn't lie

20151029_205823.jpg

13lbs 9 oz each.

27 lbs for the pair

Total cost for the pair is around $20-$25

The mat came 4'x6' So I cut it into 12"x36" sections. Each mat has 99 1/4" x 1" bolts in it.

Thanks for the compliments. It takes about an hour per mat to thread all of the bolts in, and lock-tite the nuts on, and then tighten them.

outofrshell

Adventurer
I liked the idea of the Tractor Supply Mat because I would of never thought of one for a recovery tool. I use one in the back of my Trooper for a dog mat, now seeing this I will cut it in half it will still be functional for the dog mat but could be used as a recovery mat but I think I will leave the spikes out for the dog's sake. Dave

falfrenzy

Observer
I liked the idea of the Tractor Supply Mat because I would of never thought of one for a recovery tool. I use one in the back of my Trooper for a dog mat, now seeing this I will cut it in half it will still be functional for the dog mat but could be used as a recovery mat but I think I will leave the spikes out for the dog's sake. Dave

Good idea. I don't know how well the tire will grab it bare, but only one way to find out!

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
What if every other bolt alternated up and down? Down to grip the terrain, up to keep the tire from spinning on the mat.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles