Subaru Dual Battery Setups

kbahus

Adventurer
There seem to be an increasing amount of Subaru's used for expo/camping use. I may be purchasing an OBXT and will be using it for family exploration and I feel that it will suit my needs fairly well except for one issue, battery power. The stock battery location limits size quite a bit and the need for two batteries to power my Engel/Norcold MT17 will likely be needed. In my Montero I was able to use a single Group 31 to power the truck and the fridge for the entire summer with no extra power but I can't see this happening with the limited size of battery in the factory location. So who is running a fridge and has come up with a battery solution for the Subaru platform?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
When you say family how many we talking? My 2010 is far better than our older Subaru regarding load carrying ability. But weight is your enemy. Can see a group 31 lashed down in a foot well with two people in a built up OB but 3 or 4 people no way your hauling 3-4 + gear and a second battery with a fridge. I haul the Life Time trailer for our family trips, with most of our gear packed in bins on the trailer.

kbahus

Adventurer
I will be traveling with two adults and one child and specifically looking at an 05 model year. I am a little concerned about load capacity as well, let's be honest that this is a car and not a truck and I can't just slip in some airbags into the rear coils. I feel we can pack pretty light, but after using a fridge all last summer there is no leaving that luxury! Maybe a small, stand-alone AGM in the back would get the job done, or perhaps replacing the main battery with an AGM might get enough amp hours to make it work.

One thing is for sure I keep going the wrong way in vehicle size: 80 Series Land Cruiser to a Montero and now to a Subaru. The economy will be nice though.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
I will be traveling with two adults and one child and specifically looking at an 05 model year. I am a little concerned about load capacity as well, let's be honest that this is a car and not a truck and I can't just slip in some airbags into the rear coils. I feel we can pack pretty light, but after using a fridge all last summer there is no leaving that luxury! Maybe a small, stand-alone AGM in the back would get the job done, or perhaps replacing the main battery with an AGM might get enough amp hours to make it work.

One thing is for sure I keep going the wrong way in vehicle size: 80 Series Land Cruiser to a Montero and now to a Subaru. The economy will be nice though.

Also, you can get some Rallitek springs to raise the rear end a bit. thats what i did. higher spring rate helps with load

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Xt wont get better mileage over the Montero. 16-23mpg is typical for the xt. Get the H6 no turbo failure issues and slightly better mileage.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
actually, define typical?

5th gen guys are getting from 23-32 depending on driving

even fully loaded i get 23 on the highway

kbahus

Adventurer
I am pretty sure any Subaru will get better gas mileage than my Gen3 3.8 with big tires, not worried about that. Thanks for the link on the Rallitek springs, those look like a good solution. I used to do business with Rallitek back when I built my swapped RS around 10 years ago now, I can't believe I might be getting back into the Subaru game.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
actually, define typical?

5th gen guys are getting from 23-32 depending on driving

even fully loaded i get 23 on the highway

5th gen ob is only had in a 2.5 or 3.6 non turbo cvt. The 2010 and newer Subarus get far far better real world mileage over the 2009 and earlier cars. My 2010 is dramatically better than my 01 ever was frome that aspect. The XT is a fun ride but its a special Subaru its nothing like the Non turbo options.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
if you say so :)

Group 31 AGM Northstar Battery
From: http://buy.northstarbattery.com/p/nsb-agm-31-battery
Capacity 20 Hour Rate 102 Ah
Capacity 10 Hour Rate 97 Ah
Weight 76lbs

FBC 100Ah, 3C, 3.2V LiFePo4 Lithium Prismatic EV Battery
From: http://www.electriccarpartscompany....25-in-150-69-207-mm-br-772-Lb-35-Kg_p_41.html
Rated Capacity: 100Ah
Weight: 7.72lbs

Four of these in series will make the voltage = 4x3.2V = 12.8V (will actually be a bit higher just like a lead acid) while maintaining the capacity of the individual cell or 100Ah
Weight for 4 = 7.72*4 = 30.88lbs or 45lbs lighter than the group 31 AGM.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

kbahus

Adventurer
Well that deal fell through, compression was low across the board and one cylinder was at 90psi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier