5 People, 3 Generations, 1 Vintage Jeep - Exploring the San Juans for Fall Color

mkitchen

Explorer
Great pictures

Some of those pictures look good enough to have come out of a Jeep brochure from 25 years ago.
It sure looks like all of you had a great time. I would say you tied in a lot of the best scenery available and should have memories for all three generations.
Mikey

That community you explored right off the highway looks a lot like Ironton. If you turned off from that area to head to Corkscrew Pass, then you were right in Ironton. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Some of those pictures look good enough to have come out of a Jeep brochure from 25 years ago.
It sure looks like all of you had a great time. I would say you tied in a lot of the best scenery available and should have memories for all three generations.
Mikey

I've always liked those old Jeep brochures. So, thanks for the great compliment, Mikey!

That community you explored right off the highway looks a lot like Ironton. If you turned off from that area to head to Corkscrew Pass, then you were right in Ironton. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

That's good to know. We ran across a road, early on the Corkscrew Gulch trail that was labeled "townsite" but didn't go too far down it. I've been wondering if there were more structures down there. Have you ever visited the town site?

Nice report, reminds me of all the trips I did with my parents around the state.
Thanks Unkamonkey. Having family share these trips are what really makes them memorable!

unkamonkey

Explorer
The last trip I had with my father was a father/son weekend on a friends property North of Buena Vista. Three fathers and five young'uns.
Just eating, shooting, drinking and some 4X4 action. Unfortunatly the land owner and all of the fathers have passed but a friends son holds an event every Labor Day on their mountain property. No shooting but plenty of food and beer. Well, food unless the bear gets in the cooler.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
The last trip I had with my father was a father/son weekend on a friends property North of Buena Vista. Three fathers and five young'uns.
Just eating, shooting, drinking and some 4X4 action. Unfortunatly the land owner and all of the fathers have passed but a friends son holds an event every Labor Day on their mountain property. No shooting but plenty of food and beer. Well, food unless the bear gets in the cooler.

^It's cool that you still get to visit the same place you used to spend with your dad. I'm trying to talk my parents into coming out for Christmas and going up to the Never Summer Mtns. to see some moose this winter. I think they had enough fun on the last trip to get them hooked!

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
That "old' full size Jeep blended in well with the fall colors. You could get "drunk" on that florescent yellow color.

Nice pictures, I think the term used when they do some work on an old building so it doesn't fall a part but at the same time keep it in a old looking state is "arrested decay".

Nice work using the fire starter....makes one appreciate the old flint and "nest" method.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

CCH

Adventurer
Beautiful area and beautiful pics. That is some of the nicest scenery in Colorado, which is saying something.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Wonderful report, such a beautiful area! Great pictures!

That "old' full size Jeep blended in well with the fall colors. You could get "drunk" on that florescent yellow color.

Nice pictures, I think the term used when they do some work on an old building so it doesn't fall a part but at the same time keep it in a old looking state is "arrested decay".

Nice work using the fire starter....makes one appreciate the old flint and "nest" method.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Beautiful area and beautiful pics. That is some of the nicest scenery in Colorado, which is saying something.

Thanks for the compliments, you guys. They combination of the color and having all my family there made this seem like an epic trip... even as we were on it! I like that term, "arrested decay"... that really seems to describe Animas Forks. Also, you're right, Explorer1... it took us almost 15 minutes to get the fire started with the flint. It was fun and it really impressed upon us how difficult it would be to be a miner in the 1800s, out in the hills, in the middle of winter, trying to start a fire to keep from freezing to death!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles