Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Thanks for the grammar lesson, didn't quite look right! I can supply Seitz windows, are you able to adjust the window openings on your camper to accommodate the windows?
Thanks,
Mark.

Freebird

Adventurer
FWIW.....
Light shaded (color) of interiors of campers makes the WAR on the filthy flies and hungry mosquitos INSIDE the camper a (possibly) winning proposition...
Getting rid of the dark cabnets and dark fabrics removes their stealth capabilities...
Go ahead. Ask this man with dark fabrics and other dark interior items how many battles have been lost! Recently. Still itching....

jason77

Adventurer
Great build! I've been toying with the idea of using composite panels to build a camper for my truck, as well, though maybe not to the sophisticated level of your design. I think mine would be a pop-up design, too, since the truck would need to get in and out of tight trails, and I'd rather have as little height for me to forget about as possible. My family has been in fiberglass for 40 plus years, so it makes sense to go w/ fiberglass composite panels. Now that I see yours I wonder, do you sell the extrusion channels like you've used on your camper? It would definitely make joining corners much easier and retain a very "finished" look.

Bernie

Thanks for the grammar lesson, didn't quite look right! I can supply Seitz windows, are you able to adjust the window openings on your camper to accommodate the windows?
Thanks,
Mark.

We had wicked windstorms here in August and we had a window sucked clean out of the camper. the opening is 45cm high and 90 cm wide and the corners are radiused . Wall thickness is roughly 30mm. What else did you need to know?

Thanks,

Bernie

Jeep

Bernie, here is a size chart from Dometic, in North America the S4 windows are stocked:

View attachment SEITZ-windows-technical-data-charts.pdf

Jason77, the extrusions are not available by themselves, we use them for builds in house and have 8 week windows between orders and we don't want to end up stalling the shop. I can however build you a bare box.

Jeep

Got the cassette toilet in, and all of the hardware for the bathroom, cut formed and welded up a shower pan out of .125 5052 aluminum, stiffeners under the toilet and under the pan to distribute load evenly. This is what happens when you can't buy a shower pan that looks like it would last a lifetime, most don't look like they would last a month! Pan will be powder coated white once final fitting is done. Bathroom dimensions are 26" x 42" and with the low set back profile of the toilet, should have a lot of room.

Shower pan 1.jpg

Shower pan 2.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Nice fabricating. I came to the same conclusion after shopping for a pan. I wish I had your fabrication tools, mine will be wood and fiberglass.

Jeep

Grey tank

So, if you have a 35 gallon fresh water tank, shouldn't you have a 35 gallon grey water tank? I am curious why most manufacturers have a substantially larger fresh than grey? Toilet is a cassette so it takes care of it's own volumes and they pretty much line up for flush water/black storage, .125 5052 aluminum grey tank has 35 gallon capacity, ended up building it to use the "harder to use space" in the rear of the camper, still keeps the center of gravity in check front to rear as the fresh empties and the grey fills, moved a couple of heavy components to reduce the effect on paper. A small sump will help empty it down to the last cold beer! The design also opens up a large storage space under the dinette cushions, that area will get an outside access door now too.

Grey tank 1.jpg

Grey tank 4.jpg

Grey tank 2.jpg

Jeep

Side view: perfect thing to store in a tapered area, should drain good!

Grey tank 5.jpg

Freebird

Adventurer
The space under the shower pan will be used for....?

BTW, very NICE fab work, and the welds....well, I'm jealous of the skills....

Last edited:

Jeep

Thank you very much! Appreciated.

There is only 3" under the shower pan and 6" under the toilet which will have an access door from the inside. Enough room for a little bit of storage and access for plumbing for the Whale Gulley IC waste water pump, check it out here:

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...D=10020&Product_ID=10039&FriendlyID=Gulley-IC

Most units have a grey tank under the shower that adds a lot of overall height, but with this system I keep the shower pan lower which means more headroom, and ultimately contributed to a lower roof height on the camper. The quality of Whale plumbing stuff is very high, all my pumps and related equipment is from Whale.

Thanks,
Mark.

Jeep

Here is the tank where it will be installed, finalized mounting locations and plumbing connections, put those in tomorrow and powder coat it white. Fits like a glove!

Image.jpg

My tank supplier has a huge inventory and manufactures CSA certified tanks for RV use, would have been nice to find a grey tank but nothing that didn't eat up valuable space, but i did find a potable water tank that fit under the fridge perfectly, with a 35 gallon capacity. Once I finalize plumbing connections I will run it back to them and have them weld the threaded inserts in.

Image 1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94