Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

rlrenz

Explorer
While you're replacing parts, think about all new brake lines. Since ambulances are usually parked in fire stations, and since everything is washed very often, the equipment sits on top of trench drains full of warm water. Both older fire trucks and ambulances with hydraulic brakes start to have questionable brake lines after about 10 years -- I replaced my lines when one failed (15 years) and I think MNtal had to do the same on his 2002 Horton.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Doorman Makes replacements, $80 retail including bolts and bushings... In stock at Jobbers (not my price).
$91 each from Ford. If they don't come undone easily, they'll be cut.

I've replaced some of the lines already, the rest will soon be following.

The shackle was rusty, but metal fatigue is what killed it. It seemed solid till it cracked in half... The pivots may have seized, time will tell.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
It has about 200k miles on it. It's been a very good truck, and for the price I paid, I could rebuild it all and still be thousands ahead of what most pay.

cjken

Explorer
My original green quigley had the same problem. I replaced them before the let go, but they were really thin. Rust is such an issue where I am.
When I was in Colorado trying to find a d60 spindle Steve from ORD looked at my hub and rotor and asked if I recovered it from the bottom of an the ocean!! Haha. My mechanic from here (NY) looked underneath and said wow "clean truck for its age" so I guess it is all relative!!

cjken

Explorer
While i'm at it I'll share the evolution of my tire and rim combos.
I posted something similar in the sportsmibile rim and tire gallery, but thought the ambo FAQ would be a good spot as well

I know finding the right combo for a 4x4 van is a challenge. Even tougher for an ambo since you also have to decide SRW or DRW.

First
Regular q-van
285 75 r16
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444134742.609121.jpg

Ambo stock dually tires and rims.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444134797.184360.jpg

Next
37 12.5 r16.5 military goodyears on 12-bolt h1 rims
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444135030.903234.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444135052.496307.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444135068.654436.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444135085.847229.jpg
The 37's worked well for about 2yrs but the road noise started to get to me on longer trips. Also they are really heavy I had fears of them destroying my front end parts slowly over time.

Next swapped DRW hubs to SRW
Put stock SRW tires and rims while waiting for a set of 35's
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444135343.192989.jpg

Finally current setup 35 12.5 r17 BFG AT KO2
ATX AX199 rim -12 offset

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444135432.454693.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1444135448.495155.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444135466.897659.jpg

So far the 35's are proving to be really nice!!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Ok, what's a -12 offset? Never seen it expressed that way. I know the H1 rims have a 7" backspace. Up front I know you accounted for the change by removing the dually adapters, which keeps the tires up under the wheel well a reasonable amount, but how did you keep them tucked out back? Going from an H1 to a regular rim on the dually axle should have shoved the tire out a few inches, but it looks like they haven't moved. What the dillio man?

cjken

Explorer
35s look like a good size. What gear ratio are you running with them? Too high/low/right?

The 35's feel great!
4.10 gearing.
For my driving the 4.10 and 35's is a great combo. If I were towing often maybe I would go 4.56. If I stayed with 37's 4.56 probably would have been the right combo.
I think a big part of the improvement in driving has less to do with the size and more with the tread and lower unsprung weight.
Not sure. Some I else may have better knowledge of how unsprung weight effects driving.

cjken

Explorer
So the rims are backspaced about 4.5 inches. I said offset because 4.5 on a 9 in wide rim will have a different outcome than on a 8 or 10 rim. -12 offset means that the mounting surface is in 12 mm from center. Positive 12 would mean 12mm out from center. So - offset pushes the tires out + pushes them in.
I believe the h1 rims have something like a +50 offset.

As for the back it is exactly the same because I had 2.5 inch spacers so the tires are more or less exactly in the same place - or - about 1/4 inch.

The fronts are inset a bit from where they were in the h1 rims
They stick out just a bit outside fenders now. I liked the super wide stance look of the h1s but I think my wheel bearings will thank me for going a bit narrower.

gtbensley

Explorer
While you're replacing parts, think about all new brake lines. Since ambulances are usually parked in fire stations, and since everything is washed very often, the equipment sits on top of trench drains full of warm water. Both older fire trucks and ambulances with hydraulic brakes start to have questionable brake lines after about 10 years -- I replaced my lines when one failed (15 years) and I think MNtal had to do the same on his 2002 Horton.

Just ran all new lines on mine because I blew two lines at once moving my boat in the driveway. Front left went and the rear hose went = no brakes. Didnt want that to happen so removed every single line and ran new ones. New England has some serious salt issues and thus rust.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
So the rims are backspaced about 4.5 inches. I said offset because 4.5 on a 9 in wide rim will have a different outcome than on a 8 or 10 rim. -12 offset means that the mounting surface is in 12 mm from center. Positive 12 would mean 12mm out from center. So - offset pushes the tires out + pushes them in.
I believe the h1 rims have something like a +50 offset.

As for the back it is exactly the same because I had 2.5 inch spacers so the tires are more or less exactly in the same place - or - about 1/4 inch.

The fronts are inset a bit from where they were in the h1 rims
They stick out just a bit outside fenders now. I liked the super wide stance look of the h1s but I think my wheel bearings will thank me for going a bit narrower.

Ah, forgot about spacers out back. Makes sense. I have a different understanding of back space and offset though. Unless I'm misunderstanding your description.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior