Nate's 100 series family camping and DD build

arcteryx

Adventurer
Nice truck, it's a twin of mine!

Question on your fridge- what are you doing to prevent the battery from dying since it's always on?

nmatcek

Adventurer
I have read many sources that say they run a similar fridge on a single battery setup and have no problem going over 24 hours without starting the vehicle. That is why I opted for the dual purpose cranking and deep cycle yellow top. Most fridges like this also have low voltage protection. If your battery loses too much voltage, the fridge will turn itself off to ensure you will have enough juice to crank your engine over. This one has a low/med/high switch. Although I'm not sure what voltages the settings correlate to, I plan on leaving it on high protection.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

arcteryx

Adventurer
Interesting. When I had my diesel excursion, I would go to the beach and run my ARB fridge all day. By the end of the day, my batteries (there were dual since it is a diesel) were both dead and needed to be jumped. Based on that, I'd be inclined to put in a low voltage cutoff to prevent this.

yeti_in_ga

SE Expedtion Society
looking good ! when you are ready for a dual battery set up I have been very happy with the TMAX solution. I know some folks think dual battery is over kill but that is one mod I have used many times even my wife is a believer...

nmatcek

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Did a battery test. Left the fridge running for a full 17 hours without starting the engine. Checked the battery with a voltmeter at the 17 hr mark and it was still at 12v on the dot. Cranked right up with no sluggishness or hesitation. Fridge was set to 37F and the LC was sitting in my garage the whole time with daytime temps around 85.

arcteryx

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Did a battery test. Left the fridge running for a full 17 hours without starting the engine. Checked the battery with a voltmeter at the 17 hr mark and it was still at 12v on the dot. Cranked right up with no sluggishness or hesitation. Fridge was set to 37F and the LC was sitting in my garage the whole time with daytime temps around 85.

Awesome, good to know. I'll have to test mine out too.

nmatcek

Adventurer
Is that a 2.5lb extinguisher? How exactly is it mounted?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Its a 5 lb. 1-A:10-B:C.
I pulled the gray plastic piece off of the floor, drilled holes, and mounted it using the wall mount that came in the box.

Last edited:
I just came across this thread. I think I test drove that rig down at North Park Toyota a few months ago. How funny. I'm getting ready to do a few similar mods to my 2005 100 series. I'd like to talk shop before I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles