Going today to look at a FZJ80... need suggestions

TEC3

Adventurer
Hey guys,

I am over from the other side of Toyota... Have a built 07 Tundra.

I am looking today at a Stock 94 FZJ 80 with a lot of miles and a blown head gasket. We have negotiated back and forth where I believe I can get it for around 600 bucks. Everything on it looks decent. It does not have factory lockers to my knowledge.

What do I need to look out for?
I will be doing the head gasket myself with my friend who is a mechanic... what all should we check?

Is this a good deal? Don't want to end up on a forever project. This is to be a 2nd expedition vehicle... We have 4 kids so the tundra is tight on trips.

How is the aftermarket for the 80 series?

Anything else?

Thanks so much for the help. I go this evening to look at it.

Tommy

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If it haven't been rolled, rusted to pieces or burned to the ground it's worth $600 just for the axles. I'd buy it in a second! And as for aftermarket? The 80 is probably second only to TJs or JK jeeps. There is a TON of stuff out there!

TEC3

Adventurer
Not rolled or any issues, it is dirty but still starts, but the head gasket is bad. It has a clear title as well.

I have never rebuilt a Toyota LC 6 cylinder, but I hear they can be quite expensive to keep running. I bet you will get $1500 just into the head project. If I had to make that decision, I would weigh the LS option. You can buy a takeout 5.3 Tahoe motor for $1800. A couple adapters, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust and wiring...let's say another $3000. Two weeks worth of install. You would have one hell of an all purpose rig.

What's under the hood doesn't matter so much to me as long as it has enough power to get out of it's own way, which the stock FZJ80 does not.

NCFJ

Adventurer
Go over to the 80 section on MUD. Everything you want to know about head gasket jobs is covered 100X over, just do a quick search on Head gaskets
http://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/80-series-tech.9/

I do Vortec swaps at my shop, my parts on a basic swap is $10K. The swaps are built to last and be easy to work on. I can not see a clean, trouble free swap for less than say $6K in parts. You'll spend more in the long run.

TEC3

Adventurer
Thanks for the info guys,
Went and looked at it.
94, lots of miles, oil looked good and clean motor turns over. Blown head gasket.

It is a whiteTRD package, not sure what all that would have in 94, but it doesn't appear to have factory lockers.

It came home with me, title in hand for 450 bucks. Now let re bringing back to life begin!

enzo

Explorer
Thanks for the info guys,
Went and looked at it.
94, lots of miles, oil looked good and clean motor turns over. Blown head gasket.

It is a whiteTRD package, not sure what all that would have in 94, but it doesn't appear to have factory lockers.

It came home with me, title in hand for 450 bucks. Now let re bringing back to life begin!

I'm pretty sure TRD didn't even exist in 94. Someone slapped stickers on the sides. lol

TEC3

Adventurer
Maybe,
This is an emblem on the back right bottom tailgate and. It very much looks original. Will try and post a pic in daylight.

TEC3

Adventurer
Here are a few photos of the TRD emblem. It is faded. No stickers are on the sides... LOL I am not that gullible. Looks factory in placement and matches 90's era TRD emblems found on other vehicles that I was able to search via google. But chances are it is just something the previous owner thought was "cool"

D74CF20C-D380-4C45-B6AE-ABCE91C41A48.jpg

C178B597-1621-47A4-BCC8-6A77446B74BE.jpg

carlpb

No TRD in any landcruisers. Just a slapped on emblem, unless it came with a supercharger, then that would be a major score.

Arktikos

Explorer
Here are a few photos of the TRD emblem. It is faded. But chances are it is just something the previous owner thought was "cool"

Yes, but I'm not feeling it. Gotta pull that cheesey thing. It would be good to know something of the engine condition before committing to the Head gasket repair. The stock engine configuration would be my preference, even though it hasn't much HP and sucks gas like nobody's business.
Hopefully it has the fabric seats rather than the awful leather so common in these. Front end knuckles and brakes are typically in need of attention, so it would be a bonus if this one has had some work done in this area. Good luck with it. I like the white color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles