Perù - November 2015

Steu

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, it's making me dream every time looking at your awesome trips!

Coming on topic, next November I'm going with another couple of friends in Perù.

We are renting 2 Hilux equipped for camping from November 1st to November 14th.

The trip should be:

Lima
Ica
Nazca
Cuzco
Punu
Arequipa
Lima

We would like to camp as much as possible but in case we find a nice play to stay we don't mind to spend some nights in an accommodation.

Do you have any feedback for my itinerary?
I'm hearing different comments about Perù, is it dangerous or do I have to avoid any particular city?
Will I find some difficulties in camping?

Ciao,
Stefano

GR8ADV

Explorer
We spent 2 weeks traveling around Peru and 1 additional week at a retreat in the Sacred Valley. We rented the VW version of the Helix and loved it. We took the remote more northern route through Yauyos through Huancaya, Huancayo and Ayacucco to Cusco and ultimately into the Valley. Some pics of the drive and a few sites. And yes the roads you see are two way traffic.
pic1.jpg
pic3.jpg
IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_4867.JPG
FullSizeRender3.jpg
IMG_3516.JPG
pic 10.jpg
.Your only friends at 15,000 feet.
pic 20.jpg
Driving and generally just being in Peru was so laid back compared to my experiences driving and being in MX, Guate, and Honduras. There is NO tension, it was awesome. You will have a wonderful time.

Last edited:

Steu

ehi mate!!
I'm glad to hear that you had a nice trip, it's still an holiday so I don't want to focus more on our security than what is around me.

How often did you find vehicle coming in the other way?? :wings:

How many km were you travelling per day?

last November I was in Namibia, it's was pretty easy to do 3/400km in one day without mountains, but I guess in Perù will be much less.

GR8ADV

Explorer
ehi mate!!
I'm glad to hear that you had a nice trip, it's still an holiday so I don't want to focus more on our security than what is around me.

How often did you find vehicle coming in the other way?? :wings:

How many km were you travelling per day?

last November I was in Namibia, it's was pretty easy to do 3/400km in one day without mountains, but I guess in Perù will be much less.

Damn I actually new that number at one point. Given the roads, and given we were on holiday an site seeing I know it was MUCH less that I planned for. 4-500k a days is a long day in Mexico. This was quite a bit less. I am thinking maybe 300k/day tops. There is nothing flat in Peru...

Security and safety were never an issue, and as I said it had a much different feel than either Mexico and Central America. Both of which I love to visit and drive in by the way.

Cars coming the other way, well it is a crap shoot. But only a few. Honking at corners is not unreasonable. Folks are all traveling at very normal speeds. We met a vehicle just after that low rock outcropping. I was so glad I did not have to back up through that and find some place to pull out. But hey, if it is an adventure you want...

Peru is a wonderful country and highly recommended. GL and enjoy
EDIT: I forgot. Possibly the way you are going you may able to go much quicker and further in a day than we were able to given that you will be on much more significant roads. We were on very small, sometimes dirt roads through the Andes. I hear that the southern route is quite quick.

Last edited:

jwhutch

Observer
We spent 2 weeks traveling around Peru and 1 additional week at a retreat in the Sacred Valley. We rented the VW version of the Helix and loved it. We took the remote more northern route through Yauyos through Huancaya, Huancayo and Ayacucco to Cusco and ultimately into the Valley. Some pics of the drive and a few sites. And yes the roads you see are two way traffic.
View attachment 302010
View attachment 302011
View attachment 302012
View attachment 302013
View attachment 302014
View attachment 302015
View attachment 302016
.Your only friends at 15,000 feet.
View attachment 302017
Driving and generally just being in Peru was so laid back compared to my experiences driving and being in MX, Guate, and Honduras. There is NO tension, it was awesome. You will have a wonderful time.

These bring back memories. Spent some time in Huancayo on a mission trip a couple of years ago. Want to go back.

hmmar

Observer
Wow, really nice images
I have also visited once in my life Peru and visited its destination of Huancayo. it is a nice for having fun.
I visited in Peru with my friends. I had great fun there saw its many attraction so In these list of attraction one of them was Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. It is an awesome attraction in Peru. It Trail is adventures place or spot. I would like to suggest adventurous lovers to must go there for having fun.

Chaski

Stefano,

I have lived in Peru for the last 13 yrs. I live in the Ancash province in the capital city of Huaraz. This area would be a good area to consider as well if you desire to get off the main roads. The trip you have outlined will be likely take in quite a distance of highway road from Lima to Arequipa is a 16 hours ride. We just returned from a trip to Arequipa then on further to a small village near the Cañon de Colca and stayed in a small pueblo called Llanki. The roads are fairly decent going out of Arequipa during the dry season. One thing to keep in mind is that the rainy season runs from October- March. In the mountain areas you may run into some mixed clay and can be quite challenging.

From Nazca to Cusco the roads are windy but passable. The Puno side is an area I have not traveled but would be worth the ride from what I have heard.

I would also recommend going North from Lima toward Huaraz and perhaps Trujillo. If time allows the Cordillera Blanca/Negra is beautiful and has much to offer without the tourist type atmosphere. Mt. Huascaran park is a national park very much worth traveling through up through until Mariñon river and then over to the coast toward Trujillo then returning to Lima.
If you do decide to come this way please feel free to e-mail and I would be happy to help with any further plans.

Larry

hmmar

Observer
Chaski! its a really best thing here that you like your story about story with all of us here,. I love to go there for exploring this destiantion but I am interesting now on its attraction of Cañon de Colca, I have never visited there ever in my life I hope so you will try to sharew ith me some images and travel story just of one bout Cañon de Colca

Last edited:

zjsheller

Observer
My wife and I are considering relocating to Peru and your photos are helping our decision! Wonderful photos and my kind of roads!
Thank you for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles