Johny5's stealth camper van

Johny5

Adventurer
Getting a little closer , got the rear diff installed and drive shaft and brake lines in. Just waiting on the track bar mount and a couple small pieces and it will be closer to done .

Johny5

Adventurer
Here's a few more pics .
Got out and did a little wheeling yesterday and almost rolled but some how didn't .

Got the shock mounts welded in last week too .

Picked up an adjustable track bar and needed to make up a tool to make adjustments

This is a pic with the weight of the van back on the spring with a 35 inch tire I had lying around .

This is how I narrowed the ford perches to fit chevy springs . You could buy new perches easy enough but I just milled them down.

DzlToy

Explorer
Buggy pics and specs? You don't see too many moon buggies, now that everyone wants a bouncer or U4. Kind of reminds me of the lime green centipede from the mid 90's.

DzlToy

Explorer
I remember reading that when you were bulding it. Don't read the PBB anymore, but I will blow the dust off your thread for you. :D

Johny5

Adventurer
Got a bit more done tonight . Got the shifter made roughly how I want it . Will need a slight bend to clear things.

I was waiting on a couple pieces to come from plasma cutting . These were tricky to make with the contours of the frame but buddy got them almost perfect on the first try

Also got my transmission mount back in for the final time . It would be super easy to make this mount with out the bends , if I had made the end plates lower . It uses the factory bolts to hold it in place

Couple pics of the track bar mount

This pic shows what I did to be able to put a support bearing on the end of the sector shaft to help ease any load on the steering box
That tall nut on the right of the pic goes on the end of the sector shaft into a bearing

Last edited:

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
I'm diggin' the steering box support bearing. It might be the angle of the pic, but is there enough room to get the pitman arm on there?Is the notch wide enough or do you have to loosen the PS box to get the pitman arm on?

The track bar mount is :sombrero:

Johny5

Adventurer
The pitman arm will come off right now till I tighten it up and need to get a puller in there . It's 3 easy to get to bolts to loosen the box if I need to get a puller in there. Re vamped the shifter to get a boot onto it . I had an old honda CV shaft with good boots I cleaned up for a nice sealed shifter . I should of just bought a new one for the time it took to clean ,there cheap enough

Last edited:

Pest

Adventurer
One of the first projects was to replace the seats . I always like leather or even vinyl seats over the cloth . I'm usually dirty from work and wheeling .
Made up a swivel passenger seat base and got all the power seats working (had to remove the seat computer for drivers memory )

How's that swivel working out for you? Looks great! It looks so much better than the discount vans swivel people have been using.

Would you consider building and selling them? :sombrero:

Johny5

Adventurer
I'm pretty happy with the swivel seat base and I'm planing on making a couple up to sell ,probably early October at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94