Ford Ranger and Bronco Coming back! Crosses fingers

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think its some ways out but if the new Nissan Frontier sells really strong it will show that the Midsized market is there if the product done correctly. GM apparently can't make the new Canyon/Colorado fast enough the big problem today is that the GM dealers are being classic Dealers and basically gouging anyone buying the new Colorado/Canyon.

I think that with todays shopping tools consumers are getting smart enough that this Dealer Model needs to change or it can actually impact how certain products sell and impact the auto makers decisions. I refuse to purchase a new vehicle where dealers are manipulating the value of it by demanding artificially high prices for it.

I had a Ford Ranger loved it great truck! Today I would need a 4dr crew cab with lumbar adjustment on both sides or the wife would nix the idea before it even got started! I don't want a stripped basic work truck but there is also a need for stripped REAL work trucks also!!! Given my recent experience buying a new 2016 ford product for my wife which by the way there were over 150 cars within 70 minutes of my front door that met our requirements the dealers still were horrible and took me two days to get pricing down to invoice based acceptable prices. My Subaru it took me 15 minutes to get $400 below invoice and only two were west of the Colorado River in the color we wanted!!! After finally getting my Ford deal done I told the finance manager at the Ford dealership I don't see my self EVER purchasing from a dealer again especially for a product where over 100+ of were sitting on lots within 70 minutes of my front door. I told him I would be voting for the Tesla sales model as soon as people sort out its the way we should go.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I would love to see a new Bronco...but they've been teasing us about that since something like 2004 I believe...and they always bring it back up towards the end of the year to get people excited.

Then once April fools rolls around we get 100 articles about the new Bronco haha.

I would also love to see a new Ranger that competes with a Taco.

TeamWild

Observer
I'm scared of a what the vision for the bronco could be. The Ranger with a 2.7 ecoboost would be fun.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Even if a "new bronco" comes out (which I'm very skeptical of) it's not going to be like either the 66 - 77 Bronco nor is it likely to be much like the 78-95 (or whenever the Full Size Bronco was discontinued) version, i.e. a 2 door F150 based vehicle with a removable top.
Look at what other manufacturers are offering: Nobody except Jeep sells a 2 door SUV anymore (and I wouldn't be surprised if the 4 door version of the Wrangler outsold the 2 door. I certainly seem to see more 4 door JKs on the road than 2 doors.) Even the sort-of-two-doors-but-really-4-doors FJ Cruiser has been dropped from the US market.
Removable tops are another item that would cost way more to develop than it would be worth (think about all the rollover protection you'd have to have built in in order to protect the occupants.)
My guess is if a "new Bronco" ever hits the showrooms it will be a warmed over Explorer, Expedition or similar vehicle that is simply using the Bronco name to attract attention.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Even if a "new bronco" comes out (which I'm very skeptical of) it's not going to be like either the 66 - 77 Bronco nor is it likely to be much like the 78-95 (or whenever the Full Size Bronco was discontinued) version, i.e. a 2 door F150 based vehicle with a removable top.
Look at what other manufacturers are offering: Nobody except Jeep sells a 2 door SUV anymore (and I wouldn't be surprised if the 4 door version of the Wrangler outsold the 2 door. I certainly seem to see more 4 door JKs on the road than 2 doors.) Even the sort-of-two-doors-but-really-4-doors FJ Cruiser has been dropped from the US market.
Removable tops are another item that would cost way more to develop than it would be worth (think about all the rollover protection you'd have to have built in in order to protect the occupants.)
My guess is if a "new Bronco" ever hits the showrooms it will be a warmed over Explorer, Expedition or similar vehicle that is simply using the Bronco name to attract attention.

Unfortunately, I completely agree with you.

Edit: When I say Unfortunately I don't mean it towards you. I mean it towards Ford and their likelihood of producing a Bronco in general and IF they did it would be based of an explorer/expedition.

TeamWild

Observer
Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
I agree. If you look at previous Everest models they are very similar in design, looks and size to the previous body on frame Explorer.
I see no reason why Ford would not rebadge this as a Bronco and sell it here.
Remember though, it would probably have a limited market. Highlanders outsell 4Runners here about 3 to 1.
Ford has now reduced the Expedition to a V6 only engine choice. As CAFE standards become more stringent, the Everest would make sense.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I agree. If you look at previous Everest models they are very similar in design, looks and size to the previous body on frame Explorer.
I see no reason why Ford would not rebadge this as a Bronco and sell it here.
Remember though, it would probably have a limited market. Highlanders outsell 4Runners here about 3 to 1.
Ford has now reduced the Expedition to a V6 only engine choice. As CAFE standards become more stringent, the Everest would make sense.

I think the Everest and the Explorer are far far far too similar in size in the current format. Ford would either need to turn the Explorer more into a Mini van which it is basically one today but tries to retain its SUV history and thats not a brand name Ford will fool with given its made piles of money on the Explorer over the years.

Which means the Bronco idea would need to be very different and a different size if they did do anything like that it would basically be a Ford version of the Jeep given that would not compete in the same space as the high profit Explorer.

The Ranger will be a very very interesting thing to see given the current Ranger is only just very slightly smaller than the F150 and has nearly the same payload capability. I highly doubt Ford would risk its high profit F150 sales with another Ford Pickup thats only just slightly smaller and nearly just as capable. Which makes me think Fords only direction they could go is small - they don't have a budget cheap simple SUV or Pickup in their line up. I would say this is far more probable than us seeing the current Ranger showing up on US shores. I would guess Ford is more likely to show up with a product that competes with the little Fiat Jeep and a pickup thats sorta like the little two wheel drive basic Tacoma. Which case Ford then has two new products which do not compete with any of their existing established money makers.

justcuz

Explorer
Cali, while you make valid points I respectfully disagree.
1. How much difference and similarities are there between a Highlander and a 4Runner?
2. Ford is not going to spend development money for an entire new platform when they have one in their global fleet to meet the goal.
3. Vans are passé. Vans killed station wagons, SUV's killed vans, Crossovers killed SUV's and are the new market trend.
4. The days of any 2 door SUV commanding a market presence are gone, long gone.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Cali, while you make valid points I respectfully disagree.
1. How much difference and similarities are there between a Highlander and a 4Runner?
2. Ford is not going to spend development money for an entire new platform when they have one in their global fleet to meet the goal.
3. Vans are passé. Vans killed station wagons, SUV's killed vans, Crossovers killed SUV's and are the new market trend.
4. The days of any 2 door SUV commanding a market presence are gone, long gone.

The Highlander was created as toyota's Non mini van - VAN from the get go. The Explorer created the small SUV craze very very different vehicles and history. With your argument it would be like saying Toyota will turn their 4runner into a Highlander.
I would also point out that Ford already has platforms that would work for the mini jeep and little pickup.

"4. The days of any 2 door SUV commanding a market presence are gone, long gone." which is exactly why we won't see a bronco built on a pickup frame.

justcuz

Explorer
I see the Highlander for what I believe it is, a midsize crossover and an alternative to a 4Runner for folks who don't want a body on frame 4x4. The Sienna is a van.
I perceive the Explorer/Everest the same way. The Explorer started as a mid sized BOF SUV and Ford reduced it to a crossover. There may be room in the market for a Everest/Bronco, which is based on the global Ranger frame.
So, no argument about Ford already having platforms, that was kind of my point.
The market will drive the availability of both. If the Colorado/Canyon is successful, you may see the global Trailblazer.
If GM goes that far, I guarantee you Ford will jump in with their global products.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Ford wouldn't rebrand the Everest as a Bronco. They'd never sell if they tried that. Ford pays a lot of attention to brand loyalty. You think the designers don't check out the Ford forums and websites? HA! If they did build the Everest here, it will still be sold as Everest.

Now, while I highly doubt the Bronco will come back, I also think its possible for Ford to make a new Bronco based on the current Ranger platform, provided it gets a new design style. Its actually due for a new redesign release in a few years anyways, just in time for the factory to open and start producing. They could just do it the same way they started doing the Bronco in 78-96. Shorten the frame (if needed), ranger front end, new bronco on the back, and viola, new bronco. Throw in a diesel and I know a LOT of suv owners who'd love to have one.

I also had another thought. They can't do a 4 door without it turning into an explorer, but what about a half door, like extended cab pickups have to make it easier to reach the back seat? That would make it appeal to families better, IMO.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Ranger.... Bronco

I loved my 09 Ranger.... it took me many places with great reliability ( as some here on Portal can attest to) but I really love my 15 F 150, I am in Co. as I type this all the way from NYS, the trip out west was awesome! Now we shall see how she preforms during the upcoming DE V adventure, I am confident she will measure up very well..... we shall see. mjmcdowell

Vandy

Adventurer
I checked out a new ranger in the Bahamas a few months ago. I'd give one a good hard thought for a dd. Would be strange going from my 2 3500 rigs I drive now. But it's a good looking truck. Now if they just put that small powerstroke in her, I'd be sold

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke