Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

MizMoosie

Observer
I tried a little tarp experiment today. I took a 12ft. Kelty Noah tarp and attached it to the cargo basket on the roof of the J30. I used a carabiner through the tarp eye and hooked it far enough forward on the basket to provide coverage over the 2 back corners of the top. I then hoisted the J30 up. Staked out the opposite corner of the tarp by using a pole to give some height. I then staked the 2 sides.

The tarp is less than $100 (they are always on sale somewhere for less). It will provide sun and rain protection on the cheap. It will probably work on any J30 with a roof rack.

A few pics...

IMG_20150826_123350458_HDR-M.jpg

IMG_20150826_123441561_HDR-M.jpg

IMG_20150826_123518364_HDR-M.jpg

Charlie56

Adventurer
I just sold my Sportsmobile. I've long considered the J30. It would be great to see one in person if possible.

I'm in Atlanta but have friends and family all over the Southeast so I could easily turn a J30 viewing into a worthwhile visit. Point being that I'm willing to drive a little to see one.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help out...

I sold my '08 fully loaded SMB for the J30. There are some things the Jeep will do better, and some things I will always miss about the SMB. No regrets, just ... adjustments.

Ultralite

Adventurer
I sold my '08 fully loaded SMB for the J30. There are some things the Jeep will do better, and some things I will always miss about the SMB. No regrets, just ... adjustments.
Agreed on the adjustments. I have no knocks against the SMB, I'm just iterating to get closer to a dialed in set up.

jungblud

Observer
If anyone else is interested in checking out a slightly dusty Ursa Minor top I'll be at Expo East this year again. There were two last year at Expo East. Those guys sealed the deal for me as I was able to really get an understanding of how I would use it and what the limitations and advantages were first hand.

If enough folks are interested we could get a group purchase for the East Coast. While this has been a few months John conveyed that it would take 4 tops to make the shipping worthwhile.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader

I had a VW Eurovan Camper, and felt the same way about it. So I can totally relate to where you are coming from. That thing was like a Swiss Army knife, until the terrain got rough.
I slept in the Jeep while crossing the Mojave Road, and it almost convinced me not to get the J30. But add two dogs and a girl friend, and it's a totally different situation. :beer:

aam1023

Thanks for the great thread to all of the posters who have contributed. I'm ready to place an order for a J30, but wanted to pick your brains first. I like the look of the textured bedliner material, and am considering having this coating placed on either the entire top shell or at least on the perimeter of the top shell. My only concern is UV damage. I live in southern NM (over 300 sunny days/year). Would the gel coat or the textured bedliner hold up better in this environment? The Jeep will not be garaged. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
To those who sold their Sportsmobile's, why?? Why trade a "internally" set-up van for more of an "externally" set up (kitchen, etc) Jeep? I am personally torn between a mid-sized van and a J30 setup, leaning more toward a mid-sized van for stealth, security, and faster setup of camp, less driver fatigue over long highway hauls...

If you didn't have the pop-top would you like the SMB better/worse for different reasons?

Thanks for the great thread to all of the posters who have contributed. I'm ready to place an order for a J30, but wanted to pick your brains first. I like the look of the textured bedliner material, and am considering having this coating placed on either the entire top shell or at least on the perimeter of the top shell. My only concern is UV damage. I live in southern NM (over 300 sunny days/year). Would the gel coat or the textured bedliner hold up better in this environment? The Jeep will not be garaged. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I went with the liner material on the sides with the very top being the white gelcoat purely aesthetic reasons since my Jeep is fire engine red with black accents I thought the white would look like crap :)

Ultralite

Adventurer
To those who sold their Sportsmobile's, why?? Why trade a "internally" set-up van for more of an "externally" set up (kitchen, etc) Jeep? I am personally torn between a mid-sized van and a J30 setup, leaning more toward a mid-sized van for stealth, security, and faster setup of camp, less driver fatigue over long highway hauls...

If you didn't have the pop-top would you like the SMB better/worse for different reasons?

When I think of a spectrum of rig set ups I'm trying to dial in, the J30 comes pretty close to meeting my needs and habits a little better than my SMB. If I had the time and money, I'd have both. And for the reasons you listed, you may want a van platform after all.

I live and work in an urban environment; tight parking, lots of parking garage use, but when I do get to the woods the inclines can be suddenly steep and rain (thus loose gravel and mud) in this area comes unexpectedly. So, when I start thinking "van" my 4x4 options are either limited or a conversion is $$$$. And if I lift at all, I start running into parking garage issues.

Over the weekend I had my high top (fixed top) SMB in the Cohutta Wilderness. There was a tree partially down but not on the road. A few inches lower and I would have had to turn around. Yes, I should have had a chainsaw (and I bought one yesterday) but sometimes you forget these things. Once you have a domestic van outfitted, especially with a SMB roof, they get to be big vehicles. A lot of times folks end up putting a rocket box on them as well.

As for the internal kitchen set up; I cook outside 99% of the time anyway. The solar shower system and curtain I have for my VW is my favorite set up for clean up as well. My SMB had a shower inside, and I did use it, but my VW solar shower was more spacious and I could get the water just as hot. So, no reason I can't do a similar set up on a J30.

On this forum and others I see folks mention "stealth camping" a lot. I sometimes wonder if folks overestimate how often they will actually do this. I camp more than anyone I know personally and I can count the number of "stealth" occasions on one hand. But that's a classic example of how everyone's needs are different. I basically never do it so it's not a design criteria for me.

I think there is a gap in the adventure vehicle market. If someone would make the modern VW Westfalia with all wheel drive, air conditioning, AND reliable I think it would do very well. You could have urban maneuverability with off-road capability. Or, if Jeep would do this with an integrated cabin on the back end, kind of like a modern Pinzgauer! http://www.autoblog.com/photos/jeep-mighty-fc-concept/

bigfish

Observer

Just like everything in life, it's a trade off.

The J30, and other camper setups like it, are based on a Jeep or other mid-size 4x4. For me, the trails I run in CO are tight and technical. Full size trucks are often denied the places I go, much less an extra heavy van. However, you lose that interior living\cooking space. That's OK for me, because my campsite stays are generally overnight and then onto the next. IMHO, the J30 is not an global travel platform, or a mobile surf/bike/ski shack that you'll live out of long term or in extreme (cold/wet) climates. It's perfect, however for the week excursion in temperate conditions, way off the beaten path. Think the Rubicon Trail, or your generic alpine trail of narrow shelf roads and switchbacks. If that style of trail is the objective, than the J30 is for you. If setting up camp at the ski resort parking lot where the interior heated space is desired, than #vanlife is for you.

That's not to say you couldn't force it and build a monster van to take on challenging trails, or take a J30 on a winter trip. It's just that those options are less than ideal.

Unfortunately, there is no perfect solution for 100% of conditions. You should simply take a good look at your personal objectives and find the best fit. For me it was the J30, but I lust over the sportsmobiles just the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke