Which suspension on my JK for overland use?

harv3589

Adventurer
I'm looking for something that's stiffer for my '15 JK for overland use. I will be pulling my M101 CDN2 trailer and right now when I do the back sags some so hoping to get rid of that. Currently I'm running the factory spring (59/60 springs) and a teraflex levelling kit. I don't want to go crazy high so I'm having to change out lots of other parts.

I was thinking of the OME HD 2" lift for it. I already have JKS adjustable track bars and quicker disconnects on the front sway bar.

Any help or suggestions?

daveh

Adventurer
OME or AEV will most likely be your best options based on use. I also tow a trailer and the AEV lift holds the weight really well with trailer and the jeep loaded with gear.

harv3589

Adventurer
OME or AEV will most likely be your best options based on use. I also tow a trailer and the AEV lift holds the weight really well with trailer and the jeep loaded with gear.

Which AEV are u using specifically? Can u provide a link? Thanks for the reply!!

knockabout

I have the AEV 2 1/2 inch with geometry correction brackets on my 2015 JKU. Pulls our tear drop fine. Would recommend it highly for overlanding. No sag at all with proper hitch set up.

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
I'll add a vote for AEV as well. We install a TON of AEV suspensions and we also replace a TON of JK suspensions with AEV after people realize that most of the other options out there aren't the right setup for overlanding/heavy rigs. I run a 4.5" AEV RS on my personal JK and even pulling one of our fully loaded XVENTURE trailers loaded the suspension is flawless. I ran an OME Heavy kit on my last JK and it was decent, but not even in the same ballpark as the AEV.

CluelessJK

If you are staying at a 33's why not maintain stock suspension and just buy fenders? No matter what anyone says you'll never get the same ride and perfect geometry than with stock suspension... Plus if something breaks there is always craigslist with take off for practically nothing! I ran my 10th anniversary rubicon 2 door with 35's and cut fenders with virtually no rubbing except at ridiculous flex like on an RTI ramp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

harv3589

Adventurer
If you are staying at a 33's why not maintain stock suspension and just buy fenders? No matter what anyone says you'll never get the same ride and perfect geometry than with stock suspension... Plus if something breaks there is always craigslist with take off for practically nothing! I ran my 10th anniversary rubicon 2 door with 35's and cut fenders with virtually no rubbing except at ridiculous flex like on an RTI ramp.

I'm wanting to stay with 33" tires too keep from loosing too much power to the heavier tires. I was just planning on swapping out my 3:73 gears to 4:10 so I can still have some kind of fuel economy on the hwy.

The stock suspension I have now is sagging when I'm loaded which is why I asked the question to begin with. I'm actually fine with how high it is just some want my nose pointed up when I'm hauling my trailer. Don't want to go to airbags just to much messing around. I have them on my truck and it seems I'm always fixing leaks...

dstock

Explorer

You are right, with the AEV lift the ride won't be the same it will be even better!!! And the OP is trying to avoid sag when towing his trailer and that just isn't going to happen with the stock springs...ever!

vtminer

This is a very interesting post. I'm in the planning stages for converting my JKU to an expedition rig and will be adding a trailer behind it. I've been thinking about how to set up the rear suspension to tow properly, especially considering that I'm planning on starting with an M1101/M1102 type trailer (although I do plan on severely chopping it). Aside from everything else, I'm planning on running 37's so I know I'll need somewhere around 4-5" of lift plus trimming. My thoughts have been to add some airbag system to the rear, in addition to a high quality lift. When towing the trailer, I could inflate them to help with the trailer/tongue weight but when out on just a day trip or during DD w/out the trailer, I could air them down completely. My concern is that I don't want to loose much, if any, flex in the rear. Has anyone ever done this?

(Sorry to post-jack, just figured it fit in here with the other questions being asked)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles