Expeditionist LX 470 build

expeditionist

Observer
It's been a while since I last updated the build thread. Incidentally, I have done a few things since my last post. I'll start out with some photos of the sliders. These are the last set of the old design to come from BIOR. (Check out the new design if you haven't seen them yet - really nice update.) This pair had a few miles on them so a quick trip to the powder coaters made them shine like new again(for now!) I discovered one of the downsides to having an LX over a LC is fitting sliders up against all that cladding. It makes for a tight fit but they are all bolted up with a tiny bit of room to spare.

IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0277.jpg
IMG_0282.jpg

expeditionist

Observer
I haven't had a chance to get out since the seasonal trails have opened here in Colorado (usually mid-June). I hope to get out this weekend for a day trip somewhere. I do have a week long trip planned for the San Juans in early September so really looking forward to that. Some other things I have done recently are full baseline of fluids, auxillary fuse block, 2nd battery tray, ARB front locker (free compressor promotion) and BIOR rear bumper. I went up and got the bumper on Friday and installed it Saturday. Super impressed with the fit and finish of this bumper. Mike (of BIOR) is a talented fabricator.

IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG

Also plasti dipped the front bezel and a few chrome accents on the rear. Not really a fan of chrome.

IMG_0812.JPG

expeditionist

Observer
One interesting thing I discovered with the OME suspension lift was an inch less articulation measured from the lowest point of the lifted front tire. This was with the 865 rear springs and no load in the back of the truck. I have since swapped out the rears to 863 to accommodate the extra weight of the rear bumper and camping gear. I'll try it out again and see how it goes. The forklift at work comes in handy for this test.

IMG_0119.JPG

fireball

Explorer
Truck is looking great! I love my BIOR rear bumper and will second that Mike is great to work with. I was like you and ordered the DS swing arm initially but I couldn't figure out what to do with my DS swing out until a few months ago when I had some armor built for my BJ74 and had a swappable (sp?!) Dual jerry can/TRED mats/propane tank mount made that could be swapped b/w the swing arms of the 74 and the 100.

Here's a photo of my setup in case you were still looking for ideas:

2015-07-14_0-32-42.jpg

Slaw ninja

Rig looks great...I just picked up an '06 LX the other day, and I'm ready to start an expo build. I asked around about the AHC Sensor lift, but no one at my local Offroad shop is familiar. The dealership shop foreman said it would mess up more than it would if I adjusted the sensor to try to get 2.5" of lift.
I know I'm going to be putting front & rear bumpers on it, and I was wondering if I wanted to run 32-33" tires...maybe a 285 or 295...could the AHC sensor still function correctly with weight of RTT, bumpers, etc?
I also am going to put sliders on, and I was wondering whether there were some out there better fitting than others? Most of the ones I've seen that I like for the hundy's are NOT comparable with the LX specifically because of the AHC system. Not sure what all is restricted with that.
Finally I want lockers, and I guess it's either TJM or ARB....ready, set, go!
Any tips on a build attempting to utilize some of the LX features?

TxTortoise

I also am going to put sliders on, and I was wondering whether there were some out there better fitting than others? Most of the ones I've seen that I like for the hundy's are NOT comparable with the LX specifically because of the AHC system. Not sure what all is restricted with that.
Finally I want lockers, and I guess it's either TJM or ARB....ready, set, go!
Any tips on a build attempting to utilize some of the LX features?

Slee's step sliders work fine. Takes a bit of fiddling to fit the brackets, and only one place to put them, but working great on my 2007. I did put brake line around some of the AHC lines to minimize any rubbing. Also had to space out a few bolts for clearance.

expeditionist

Observer
Rig looks great...I just picked up an '06 LX the other day, and I'm ready to start an expo build. I asked around about the AHC Sensor lift, but no one at my local Offroad shop is familiar. The dealership shop foreman said it would mess up more than it would if I adjusted the sensor to try to get 2.5" of lift.
I know I'm going to be putting front & rear bumpers on it, and I was wondering if I wanted to run 32-33" tires...maybe a 285 or 295...could the AHC sensor still function correctly with weight of RTT, bumpers, etc?

I decided to ditch the AHC altogether in favor of the OME setup. I'm not so sure the AHC is up to the task of hauling all the extra weight of bumpers and gear. Despite the override switch, my lifted AHC would always seem to drop back to the neutral position without warning which isn't good when clearence matters. I am mostly happy with the OME except I have changed out springs once already and will ultimately need to move to the 864's in the end (the heaviest ones from OME). If you plan to add a bumper, drawers, RTT, etc., you'l need the heavies in the back.

Also, I went with the ARB front locker and it has performed flawlessly although for the most part, I only have used to demonstrate to to other people how it functions. The 100 series platform is pretty capable. I spent a week down in the San Juans earlier this month to test out the build as it stands. We ran Engineer Pass, Cinnamon, Black Bear, and Imogene. All were easily managed in my LX. I'll post up a couple pics when I can.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I decided to ditch the AHC altogether in favor of the OME setup. I'm not so sure the AHC is up to the task of hauling all the extra weight of bumpers and gear. Despite the override switch, my lifted AHC would always seem to drop back to the neutral position without warning which isn't good when clearence matters. .

I have a few questions about this era AHC:

First, what exactly does the "over ride switch" do? It sounds like it lets you either stay in the standard factory provided lift height OR it allows you to go higher than that factory lift mode? Which is it or how does the switch functionn?

Second, in the photos you first posted, you actually had noticeably higher ground clearance than after the OME package was installed.

The tire size you are using wouldn't require staying lifted beyond factory neutral height while highway driving so I'm a bit confused on the problem with the switch. This leads me to think the switch provides more height beyond the factory "lift" level. I know that AHC is not "air struts" like my LR3 but I also have an aftermarket over ride which works flawlessly providing on demand -20mm, +30mm or +50mm to any of the 3 factory settings: Access -50mm but only like parking garage speeds, Normal for all driving above 30 mph, and Lift +50-75mm but only up to 30 mph, then Extended Mode for another +50mm.

I've played with the current model AHC but was not aware of an after market interface to increase it's usefulness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles