Old's Cool

paddlenbike

Adventurer
Fantastic thread crenshaw; I read all ten pages. I must be a real dirtbag because a 3rd gen truck with a 3.4 and a Wildernest is a pretty sweet setup in my mind. I am not sure how many people will remember this, but back in the very early 1990s there was a glossy parts catalog called "Performance Products" and it often featured on the cover of the magazine, a red 1991 Xtra Cab SR5 V6 with a color-matched ARB bull bar, fender flares and a color-matched Wildernest camper. I always wanted that truck. I kind of still do.

My 4WDing days started in 1994 when I had the chance to buy this immaculate 1987 Toyota Xtra Cab SR5 5-speed from a friend of mine. I lived in the foothills and had started my first year of community college, so I spent every single weekend exploring in it.
ke-water2.jpg

8r.jpg

I held onto that truck for three years until I graduated from college and got my first decent paying job. I had always wanted that 3rd gen truck I described above, so in 1997 I bought myself a super clean 1994 Xtra Cab SR5 V6 5-speed. I absolutely loved this truck and it proved to be extremely reliable. The 3.0 V6 headgasket campaign was going on at that time and when the headgasket did start leaking, Toyota put in a brand new shortblock at zero cost.

This is how it looked shortly before I sold it in 2005:
truck2.jpg

DSC00341.JPG

One with the 4Wheel Camper:
05210014.jpg

It was pristine. You could eat off the engine.
my_V6-engine.JPG

It had Sway Away torsion bars, Rancho soft add-a-leaf, 32" tires, Rancho RS9000 shocks, a Leer shell and I was the second person ever to transplant an e-locker from a 3rd gen 4Runner into the rear of a vehicle that never came with one. (I think Dr. Karl Bellve was the first--I just copied his work.) You can see the diff lock switch just below the hazard light switch to the right of the steering wheel.
P7100571.JPG

I should have never sold this truck. I was stupid to part with it. But aligning with the whole purpose of this thread, I found myself wanting for more when I should have kept what I had.

I knew Americans were buying less and less manual transmission vehicles and in 2001 when Toyota completely discontinued manual transmission 4Runners, I knew it was the end of an era. One summer in 2005 I came across my dream vehicle, a 2000 4Runner with a 5-speed manual (last year it was ever offered) and the factory locking differential, being sold at an Acura dealership. The holy grail. I didn't even have a checkbook on me but I made the purchase that day, came home and put the 1994 truck for sale and scored $9,500 the first day it was on the market.

I love the 4Runner but I loved that '94 truck too. I have come to realize in the past couple of years that "keeping up with the Jones's" is not how I want to live my life. I have a vehicle that is extremely reliable, fun to drive and will take me anywhere I want to go for years to come. I have a small house that isn't fancy but my mortgage costs less than rent in my neighborhood. Except for a decent mountain bike and a nice dSLR camera, I don't own anything fancy. And beginning this July I am taking a voluntary pay cut by cutting down to 4 days per week (from 5), to give me more quality time with my wife and 8 month old daughter. We have big plans for travel and don't intend to let American-grade spending slow down our dreams. I've made my mistakes in the past to keep up with society, but I'm done. I want to thank everyone who posted in this thread for helping me remember what is important in life.

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
Well said. I really like both of your past rigs but I really dig the blue one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hayduke

Observer
IMG_4439.JPG Kinda Old? Love the old ones.. great thread.. still got it only new camper after old one succumbed to the elements...

REMOTEPLACES

Adventurer
Really nice rigs. I appreciate and identify with your outlook of, "keeping up with the Jones's," etc. Im not sure how old you are but I think there might be a generational shift in this type of philosophy. Being a slave to debt is something I focus on avoiding, and have none of it. Like you, I have a young family and house 1200 sqft that would also cost me more to rent...sign of the times. I own a 2002 4runner with 80k miles and a 2001 IS300 with 118k, and I have zero intention of "upgrading" either. I think the average car payment is somewhere around $400.00, seems just nuts to me. I paid cash for both said vehicles. Both of these vehicle will last as long as I want them to last, period. Both run great and are toyota quality. I'm going to be the old guy in the cherry 2002 4runner in 2045 AD.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I'm so glad I came across this thread. Some of you know my previous vehicle was a 3rd gen 4runner....I knew when I sold it I would regret moving on and I have, but I've had some great adventures with my 85 Vanagon. Love that rig too, but I'm ready to get back into a Toyota, so I've been looking at 1st Gens again....why? Because I've always wanted one.

After many years traveling in a couple of new FJ Cruisers and a Tiger motorhome, the older simpler vehicles are just more my speed. More character, more fun. Its just me and the dog now anyway. Hope to come back and contribute to this thread with plenty of new pics and adventures soon.

dustinxgarrett

#betheadventure
stoked this thread got bumped, makes me realize that I don't need a tacoma or anything fancy, my 94 ext cab is just fine and will still make a bad *** adventure mobile!

paddlenbike

Adventurer
Really nice rigs. I appreciate and identify with your outlook of, "keeping up with the Jones's," etc. Im not sure how old you are but I think there might be a generational shift in this type of philosophy. Being a slave to debt is something I focus on avoiding, and have none of it. Like you, I have a young family and house 1200 sqft that would also cost me more to rent...sign of the times. I own a 2002 4runner with 80k miles and a 2001 IS300 with 118k, and I have zero intention of "upgrading" either. I think the average car payment is somewhere around $400.00, seems just nuts to me. I paid cash for both said vehicles. Both of these vehicle will last as long as I want them to last, period. Both run great and are toyota quality. I'm going to be the old guy in the cherry 2002 4runner in 2045 AD.

I realized after I posted that the 1.2 megapixel digital pictures were going to give my age away. Just turned 41. Our situations sound very similar. And in fact I have told my friends the exact same thing, that I will be the old guy driving the cherry 2000 4Runner 40 years from now. By then manual transmissions will be something only seen in museums and my driveway.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Paddlenbike, nice rigs! How did the black one do with that camper? I'm always tempted to look for something like that but just not sure if the little pickup can handle it. My wildernest has got to be ~300 lbs or so, and it alone effects the handling to some extent. Mine still drives pretty well even with a huge load of gear but I'm not sure how much more I could cram in there...

Did your runner come with the SC? I'm kind of interested to hear how it compares to stock, since I'm sort of casually keeping my eyes peeled for one. Gas mileage?

paddlenbike

Adventurer
Paddlenbike, nice rigs! How did the black one do with that camper? I'm always tempted to look for something like that but just not sure if the little pickup can handle it. My wildernest has got to be ~300 lbs or so, and it alone effects the handling to some extent. Mine still drives pretty well even with a huge load of gear but I'm not sure how much more I could cram in there...

Did your runner come with the SC? I'm kind of interested to hear how it compares to stock, since I'm sort of casually keeping my eyes peeled for one. Gas mileage?

The black truck was a V6 / 5-speed combo and it did great. I think people get too hung up thinking they need a diesel Superduty in order to haul or tow anything, which I find ridiculous. I used to tow several thousand pounds worth of boat it did fine with that too. It's not the first one to the top of the long grades, but it never held back traffic either. That said, I think my '87 truck with the 22R-E pushed my limits at times on being a little slower than I was comfortable with. I live in Northern California, so long steep grades, often with elevation, are the norm here.

Suspension-wise, I had Rancho soft add-a-leafs in the rear with RS9000 adjustable shocks. No issues whatsoever on the road. Off-road, I have never liked the feeling of a bunch of heavy weight tossing side to side on a trail, but you would experience that in a Sportsmobile or any other vehicle that has a camper attached.

The SC was something I added to the 4Runner six years after I bought it. It's a really nice upgrade. My previous car was a high HP Toyota Supra turbo, so I really appreciate being able to fly up high elevation passes without downshifting. It accelerates well, tows well and sounds fantastic when you lay into it. Think of it this way, a 3rd gen weighs 770 pounds less than a 5th gen 4Runner and in supercharged form it has more power along with a much flatter torque curve than the naturally-aspirated 4L V6 in the new 4Runners. I have driven two newer 4Runners and thought they were extremely sluggish compared to the SC'd 3.4. My mileage hit was not noticeable but you do have to run premium fuel.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
This thread needs a bump!

The runoff in colorado this year was going big so it was time to bail on work and migrate to a couple epic western slope waves. The Yota was loaded with beer and hit the road.

Tons of snow on Independence pass still:
IMG_20150610_201411_zpshiiyo8rz.jpg

Typical team dirtbag parking lot takeover:
IMG_20150612_101900_579_zpscvdg32pg.jpg

Big Sur is an elusive wave that only comes in under perfect circumstances. We nailed it for the day and a half it formed this year. Plenty of room to share:
IMG_20150613_150855_583_zpsw21ea1rs.jpg

Glenwood wave also goes off at high water:
IMG_20150614_131701_698_zpsma1c1lib.jpg

Taco time:
IMG_20150614_081232_579_zpsjn5dywa2.jpg

Mount Sopris was kind of wild looking one morning crawling out of the beer and rain soaked truck:
IMG_20150611_093833_zps0qy8c1cr.jpg

The purveyor of this laudromat highly doubted the cleanliness of the contents of my duffle that I really needed to toss in the dryer....
IMG_20150611_094432_038_zpszheksua1.jpg

Runoff is finally slowing down and the rest of the summer's river trips are ahead of us. What has the rest of this dark alley of ExPo been up to?

drobb

Adventurer
Crenshaw
...That is just awesome. Being a SoCal guy I can appreciate the search for the elusive wave:)

Elbee

Adventurer
1991 Toyota 4runner with 230,000+ miles.
Island Runner.Took it all over the big island of Hawaii and brought up Mauna Kea, Drowned it in Waipiʻo valley and brought it to some nice beaches through some serious lava fields and beach tracks

885963_10202751440698256_304689575320405433_o.jpg

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
1991 Toyota 4runner with 230,000+ miles.
Island Runner.Took it all over the big island of Hawaii and brought up Mauna Kea, Drowned it in Waipiʻo valley and brought it to some nice beaches through some serious lava fields and beach tracks

885963_10202751440698256_304689575320405433_o.jpg

Is that the original motor?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior