Redesigned Flippac?

homemade

Adventurer
interesting how that works huh? you can read all about how they developed the slo rainfly for us on the AT website,,, but they didnt develop squat.

I just took a look at the AT blurb on the SLO fly, it looks like they just copied much the description from the SLO website but left off the "SLO Sail and Canvas is offering custom-made FlipPac rain flies. " and removed other references to SLO that are on the SLO website. They probably just feel that is salesmanship but it may not sit entirely well with some. When I ordered my flippac FRP made it a point to ask me if I wanted a version with side windows or a version without side windows but with thicker fiberglass (same price for either) and also made it a point to tell me that the AT version was exactly the same.

I've had the standard widow thinner fiberglass flippac on and off the truck several times and driven some pretty rough roads without any problems so maybe the wall thickness isn't that much of an issue. Maybe without the windows the thinner walls would drum or vibrate so that may be why they use thicker fiberglass with the windowless version.

austintaco

Explorer
Has anyone ever measured the actual thickness of the windowless fiberglass and the fiberglass on ones with windows? Is it only around the area that the window would be in? I ask because I have heard the "thicker fiberglass" statement so many times, but I have also read on here and other sites that that is not the case. One person toured the FRP facility and they showed him the shells being made, ones for AT without windows and ones for FRP, with windows, and it was the same process, same thickness.
Could it be that the windows actually add the strength needed to the sides and without them, the fiberglass is just thicker in the area where the window would be?
back to coffee

homemade

Adventurer
Has anyone ever measured the actual thickness of the windowless fiberglass and the fiberglass on ones with windows? Is it only around the area that the window would be in? I ask because I have heard the "thicker fiberglass" statement so many times, but I have also read on here and other sites that that is not the case. One person toured the FRP facility and they showed him the shells being made, ones for AT without windows and ones for FRP, with windows, and it was the same process, same thickness.
Could it be that the windows actually add the strength needed to the sides and without them, the fiberglass is just thicker in the area where the window would be?
back to coffee

I don't think there is an easy way to measure the thickness. Really there isn't much area that could be thicker other than the side walls/window area. The front and back are almost all window area, the top is open and the flip portion of the roof is the same for all. They probably just give it an extra spritz of fiberglass on the sides of the windowless ones, if anything as you note from the person who toured the facility. I doubt it is a very precise process.

I don't think there is an easy way to measure the thickness. Really there isn't much area that could be thicker other than the side walls/window area. The front and back are almost all window area, the top is open and the flip portion of the roof is the same for all. They probably just give it an extra spritz of fiberglass on the sides of the windowless ones, if anything as you note from the person who toured the facility. I doubt it is a very precise process.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I cut one up awhile back. The thickness is completely random throughout. Not to mention the foam and wood thats inside of them as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1713.jpg
    IMG_1713.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1712.jpg
    IMG_1712.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1709.jpg
    IMG_1709.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1708.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 30

bijanjames

Adventurer
I'm annoyed to see that even though I followed up with AT about this new version they never bothered to contact me about a waiting list, I even offered my truck for prototype phase as I'm in Phx and close by. I gave up on them and ordered a Flip-Pac. Guess I'll get out my waterproof spray, bag of spare parts, and probably by a backup torsion bar. Still annoyed but then again if it's only going to be for long bed trucks maybe that's why since I have a 5' Taco bed.

I really wish we could get some of the Aussie Yut bed offerings more affordably here..

I have a 5' short bed CC Nissan.

austintaco

Explorer
By looking at the cut up flippac above, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the increased thickness claims refer to the area where the window would be.

billy bee

Adventurer
I just took a look at the AT blurb on the SLO fly, it looks like they just copied much the description from the SLO website but left off the "SLO Sail and Canvas is offering custom-made FlipPac rain flies. " and removed other references to SLO that are on the SLO website. They probably just feel that is salesmanship but it may not sit entirely well with some.

I wrote that web copy and roped my friend Karl (who owns SLO Sail and Canvas) into building a fly. He is an extremely smart guy and, using my FP, made a prototype from materials he had laying around. It was burgundy and tan, like a 1982 Cadillac. We got it right on the first try and, after some foul-weather testing, that prototype fly was sold to a FP owner. I don't think FRP offered much in the way of suggestions for improvement. They are simply a re-seller.

AT may have asked FRP for those changes to the shell. Unlike Karl, FRP doesn't seem all that interested in improving their products. So, I think AT certainly deserves credit for wanting to improve FP quality. In that case they are more than a re-seller. The SLO fly was a step forward from the FRP fly without AT's input. Doubt that was the case with the improvements to the shell.

I have had my '96 Chevy and FP through some gnarly articulation. The FRP FP has showed no signs of fatigue. Overall, however, my off-road use has been limited... If I were to get more serious about off-roading, I would probably build a cage inside the FP to stiffen the bed rather than attempt to reinforce the fiberglass.

bb

RHINO

Expedition Leader
I have had my '96 Chevy and FP through some gnarly articulation. The FRP FP has showed no signs of fatigue. Overall, however, my off-road use has been limited... If I were to get more serious about off-roading, I would probably build a cage inside the FP to stiffen the bed rather than attempt to reinforce the fiberglass.

bb

funny you mention that,,,,, i have extensive off road miles with my taco and flippac and nearly lost the bed and flip when the front of the bedsides started ripping right off the truck from the weight and vibrations of the flip,, but the flip is doing fine and i dont have any reason to doubt its toughness.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
AT Adventure Trailers is building there own version of the flip pac and should have it read in July, I'm on their waiting list. I've talked with Mario several times and it sounds like they have addressed all of the issues people were having with flip pacs. No more torsion bar, water proof tent with no need for cover, and made of aluminum.

If this is true I'm really looking forward to it!! Has AT actually leaked any info on this or is it just hearsay? You'd think they would be interested getting a list going.

tacoluv

Observer
If this is true I'm really looking forward to it!! Has AT actually leaked any info on this or is it just hearsay? You'd think they would be interested getting a list going.

I have mostly a love relationship with my 5 year old flippac - hated it when we drove to Padre Island to camp and found a broken torsion bar. Story is on the torsion bar thread. It has been used a lot in MN, Canada, Alaska so the broken torsion bar was all rusty,the aluminum cover does nothing but allow moisture to collect. Like much of overland equipment that works in western and arid climates the flippac does not last in cold, damp and salty environments. Rain fly is a joke (coated mine and now repels water!), replaced the draw latches which could barely close top because the lid was 3/4 inch off when down.

So if not a patented system then go for it Mr Designer/Entrepreneur and keep cost reasonable at5K which is cheap when compared to a 4 wheel camper. The flippac goes places with my Tacoma that other overlanders with campers will never see - that is what the bottom line for me still.

brian90744

American Trekker
They are the same body thickness, if you request no windows. I cut a hole in mine and =

back to coffee

Attachments

• Thickness 1.jpg
    Thickness 1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Thickness 2.jpg
    Thickness 2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 16

dman93

Adventurer
A well-known vendor of a fiberglass and fabric product (not AT) recently mentioned to me that there might be a better FlipPac type camper coming on the market soon. The context was to tell me that the price of used FlipPacs would soon drop due to zero demand. Though the price would have to be pretty low to threaten the used market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles