And the reason why Ram didn't stick with Cummins is? New Fronteir Pro-4x

smlobx

Wanderer
While I agree that Cummins is a great engine I have to say that the VM eco Diesel engine that I have in my Jeep GC is an impressive engine with lots of torque and great mileage...

I'm keeping an eye out on the Nissan too.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Because they are owned by Fiat and they own the italian engine maker VM Motori that they are using...

Then why keep it in the larger 3/4 ton and up trucks? Do they only make small diesels? Pretty sure Chrysler helped develop this engine before they went BK too

Then why keep it in the larger 3/4 ton and up trucks? Do they only make small diesels? Pretty sure Chrysler helped develop this engine before they went BK too

Because the HD buyers would jump from buildings and riot in the streets if they couldn't have their beloved Cummins. If you asked ram owners what truck they owned a large percentage would say Cummins as opposed to Ram.

nick325i

Adventurer
Because the HD buyers would jump from buildings and riot in the streets if they couldn't have their beloved Cummins. If you asked ram owners what truck they owned a large percentage would say Cummins as opposed to Ram.

Totally agree. Dodge will have to do whatever it takes to keep Cummins in their HD trucks. If you go on the lot where I bought my truck in TX it's tough to even find a gas truck on the lot. They sell a ton of Cummins.

While I think a smaller Cummins would be neat in the 1500s, I've heard good things about the Fiat diesels so far. I guess time will tell but in Europe, they have been running small diesels forever so they are probably pretty ironed out.

Last edited:

thethePete

Explorer
Because a 1/2ton truck is not built heavy enough to handle the chassis abuse of a traditional Cummins, and they **** the bed during the deal when this motor was being developed. Also Fiat has a perfectly acceptable diesel for a 1/2ton truck, and the concept that Cummins is the only good diesel is antiquated and silly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles