Danner Mountain Light II - An on-going review

jeverich

Luddite
A pair of Light II's just showed up in the mail yesterday. All that I can say is amazing...

Odd using that adjective to describe a pair of boots... They're comfortable right out of the box, don't seem to need any extensive breaking in process and they fit the bill of exactly what I was looking for. I travel light - and as such, I wanted a good all-around boot. Work boot, covered in diesel, track the deer I just shot, wash 'em off and go out on the town in (relative) style boot.

Great construction, great feel and seem to be very durable.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
A pair of Light II's just showed up in the mail yesterday. All that I can say is amazing...

Odd using that adjective to describe a pair of boots... They're comfortable right out of the box, don't seem to need any extensive breaking in process and they fit the bill of exactly what I was looking for. I travel light - and as such, I wanted a good all-around boot. Work boot, covered in diesel, track the deer I just shot, wash 'em off and go out on the town in (relative) style boot.

Great construction, great feel and seem to be very durable.

Glad to hear you are happy! They will only get more comfortable as they mold to your feet

Had mine out today for a couple hours in the thick Welland County clay. Boots were double the weight when I was done!

profro

Observer
I had a pair of Danner Mtn Lts that I used for close to 15 years. Some years more than others, but they got steady winter time use over that time period. It finally came time to send them back to Danner to get new soles and freshing up. Danner replied they were to scared to resole due to how much I had wore them out. So instead they send me a 50% off coupon for a new set of Danner boots that was good for 1 year. I just couldn't retire those old boots. Reluctantly 364 days after receiving the coupon I finally purchased a new set. They are still new in the box waiting for my first set to finally die.

This boots are iconic for a reason.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I had a pair of Danner Mtn Lts that I used for close to 15 years. Some years more than others, but they got steady winter time use over that time period. It finally came time to send them back to Danner to get new soles and freshing up. Danner replied they were to scared to resole due to how much I had wore them out. So instead they send me a 50% off coupon for a new set of Danner boots that was good for 1 year. I just couldn't retire those old boots. Reluctantly 364 days after receiving the coupon I finally purchased a new set. They are still new in the box waiting for my first set to finally die.

This boots are iconic for a reason.

Great story, glad to hear you had such a great experience.

Hopefully mine last at least that long

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Still loving these, seeing a lot of service

Well over a year Now. And still look and feel exactly as they did when I had then first broken in

Still loving these, seeing a lot of service

Well over a year Now. And still look and feel exactly as they did when I had then first broken in

How long did you say break in time took? I've had mine for awhile and I still feel like the top of the toes and Achilles areas are pretty stiff.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
How long did you say break in time took? I've had mine for awhile and I still feel like the top of the toes and Achilles areas are pretty stiff.

After about a month they still felt pretty good but I felt like they were 100% comfortable and blister/irritation free for about 4 months.

It all depends how often and how long you wear them for. Have you oiled them yet? That will help speed up the process

After about a month they still felt pretty good but I felt like they were 100% comfortable and blister/irritation free for about 4 months.

It all depends how often and how long you wear them for. Have you oiled them yet? That will help speed up the process

Yes, I've been using dancer's boot dressing. Someone advised I stand in water and wear them till they dry. I've considered doing that.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Yes, I've been using dancer's boot dressing. Someone advised I stand in water and wear them till they dry. I've considered doing that.

I have heard that too many times, but always made me nervous doing that to a brand new pair of boots

How long have you had them ?

Put about 8 more hours on them today while working.
PtbxYy7.jpg

Italia64

Observer
We used to do that with our brand new CCM skates when I was a kid playing hockey. Put 'em on, lace up, put your feet in a bucket of warm water, go out and skate for a while, repeat. Let them dry. It really worked to speed up break-in, but we typically only wore skates for a season or maybe two. Pretty positive this isn't current technique, though....

GHI

Adventurer
I'm debating between these boots and a pair of Zamberlan, which I believe are having a chunking issue with a batch of their soles. I don't think you mentioned anything about traction so far. My concern is slipping on wet rocks. My current boots are great, but on their last leg and technically not hiking boots so I'm looking to see if I'm missing out on something.

I just got back from a week long backpack trip with quite a bit of rain. My buddy slipped on wet boulders so many times it made me really think I should choose my next boot wisely. Any experience there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne