Another Way to Lift Up RTT for Mounting onto Roof Rack

acg

Adventurer
I came across this product on Amazon. Since I have another SUV, this would be an option to hitch mount the lifting device to remove the RTT off my Land Rover. The plan is to weld a longer top bar extend the lifting hook further out.

Height of the lifting pole is 137 cm = 53" to 11'. This is not including the height of the hitch from the ground. Lifting capacity is 330-lbs which should work for all RTTs.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00609YWZO/...46f2fa_S&dra_hfr=1&dra_ohs=0-0#productDetails

Last edited:

badlander

acg,
Very interesting idea. I just ordered an RTT and have been trying to figure out how I'm going to load/unload this thing without constantly bugging my neighbors. BUT, from the reviews of that unit I would stay away from it. They say it is flimsy with just a deer on it and the boom is only a foot or two long. I may consider welding up my own similar design using 1/4" wall tubing and a roller thrust bearing on the swivel tube that will take the load with no doubt in mind. It is a very high lift when you consider all the lifting straps, height of the rack, height of the tent, etc. You are going to be near 15' overall at the top pulley before you get enough height to get the tent up high enough to clear the rack.

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
I looked at all manner of methods for lifting a tent onto the roof of my JK Wrangler Unlimited. Ultimately I came up with the following lifting frame for a solo lift and a means of quick mounting the RTT:

4e61832197472875d0169b480e875291.jpg

6ebbc9116c3c3d04a9da73f2d5d5e9d4.jpg

8ca6bd5742ae8673ad7dfb30c80286de.jpg

7e8e0de09b56c3dab596bf2c167d87ff.jpg

ee12f8883dd505acfbd344c5f93e29de.jpg

7617579030a0fd83b090a420f8a30e08.jpg

132ec5d66fb6efad63c1ea805b6aa1c9.jpg

17c915b5c5fa02e5ec56cabef552ad4f.jpg

Next time I head out I'll try to snap a few photos of the lifting process with the tent on the frame.

I came across this product on Amazon. Since I have another SUV, this would be an option to hitch mount the lifting device to remove the RTT off my Land Rover. The plan is to weld a longer top bar extend the lifting hook further out.

Height of the lifting pole is 137 cm = 53" to 11'. This is not including the height of the hitch from the ground. Lifting capacity is 330-lbs which should work for all RTTs.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00609YWZO/...46f2fa_S&dra_hfr=1&dra_ohs=0-0#productDetails

Personally, I'd rather use this.

http://www.amazon.com/Pickup-Truck-Hydraulic-Engine-Hoist/dp/B007AMM4KK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NJV1N0VTN6ZGFJZ67N5

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
What he said.

That's bloody brilliant. Exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks Quest4ADV and cruiserpilot. I haven't taken any photos of the rack with the tent on it yet, but I'm hoping to get over to the storage locker this weekend to snap a few photos of the rack in action. In the mean time I have a few more photos of the brackets I made using 2" x 1/4" extruded aluminum angle and a closeup of the aluminum clamps used to mount the whole set-up to the rack.

DSC_0385.jpg

2" x 2" x 1/4" Extruded aluminum angle with countersunk 5/16" x 1" - 18 stainless steel machine screw.

DSC_0386.jpg

Set of four brackets to replace universal rack mount bolts/steel flat stock brackets that came with the tent.

DSC_0387.jpg

Mock-up of one of the brackets on one of the two 2" x 2" x 1/4" extruded aluminum load bars I mounted to my roof rack using cast aluminum clamps I bought off of AliExpress. The aluminum mounting tab fits inside the track attached to the base of the tent and a 5/16"-18 Nyloc nut slides into the track where the stock universal mounting bolt would normally go. Once this is tightened down they aren't going anywhere.

DSC_0376.jpg

This is a closeup of the pivot for the lifting frame. Probable overkill for the task, but I feel better when things are over built...esp. when there's a suspended load overhead. Four aluminum lighting/truss clamps are mounted and four segments of 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/4" extruded aluminum angle (brackets) attached with 3/8" - 16 x 1" stainless steel bolts, washers, and Nyloc nuts. A pair of the clamps/brackets makes up one of the two hinges. The frame is attached to the hinges with 1/2" - 13 x 3.5" stainless steel bolts, washers, and Nyloc nuts.

I don't have any photos of the frame coming together, but it's just two 72" long 1.5" x 1.5" x 3/16" extruded aluminum square tubing riveted together with some aluminum angles for corner reinforcement and a ledge for placing the tent on. The ledge mates up with the rear track on the base of the tent and keeps the tent from sliding off when it's placed on the rack.

Hope this helps. Most of the design work for this was completed in Sketchup using careful measurements from the rack and clearances between the rack, roof, and rear mounted spare tire. Sketchup allowed for a lot of trial and error before ordering material. The design allowed for a straight forward order from a local metal supplier and assembly with simple hand tool (incl. a cordless drill).

Last edited:

badlander

mmaattppoo,
I'd be really interested in the loading process pics also. Looks like a great set-up.
Are the support poles telescopic and do you attach them after you lift the rig or do they just drop down into place?

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
mmaattppoo,
I'd be really interested in the loading process pics also. Looks like a great set-up.
Are the support poles telescopic and do you attach them after you lift the rig or do they just drop down into place?
Sure thing. I finally got over to the storage locker today to take a few photos of the loading process.

The poles are telescoping aluminum boat hooks. Currently I have to place the poles after lifting the frame and then secure them by wrapping heavy Velcro around the pole hooks and the frame. It's secure enough but it could be a little more skookum. This is a detail that I may change down the road.

I like the idea of integrating the poles so they swing down after the frame is raised.

It's still a bit of effort to lift the frame when the tent is loaded but it's a far cry from the impossible solo lift onto a Jeep or other SUV without some form of lifting aid.

3a31dde2fbebf43580443c9390100554.jpg

8a1592bb6c3c23a07d2ee5cf7ca34297.jpg

8b08b93e6a02cc1304606a8abf64142e.jpg

2f59efe966c6381a133b3ee934e22591.jpg

67959207758282c90f5d212ea0bf07b6.jpg

Last edited:

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
Mattpoo, have you started marketing these yet??? This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for when I get my RTT.

You need to either start building these, or sell the idea to Tepui :)

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Thanks Quest4ADV. I've thought about it. For sure RTTs are great until you have to lift them.

I just can't believe that Tepui hasn't come up with an aid to safely lift their tents and a better means of mounting them to a roof rack. I'm not sure what others do but designing and building my own lifting/mounting system was the only way I could live with my RTT.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
I like the look of your contraption. I built a gantry on the cheap, using a couple 8' ladders, a long 4x4, some pulleys, and a cheap harbor freight electric winch mounted in the garage.

It's a hassle to setup and use, but it does work. I'm always looking for easier solutions though and this fits the bill. If only my garage was tall enough for a ceiling hoist....

20150820_182621.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles