Matthewp's MuTTT (Multiple Terrain Tactical Teardrop).

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Really nice work Matthew,
I especially like the way you bridged a teardrop and an off road trailer. I've seen so many builds where they builder went with all metal framing. I think your approach with a stout metal chassis, and a well supported wood cabin finds a nice balance between weight and strength.
Best,
Tom

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Thank you folks! I'm happy with the trailer. It turned out better than I expected (I felt it was pure luck that I made it to the Appalachian Rendezvous and back with no issues!).

reskar

Observer
Trailer worked great on the trip! Just coasted over everything we went through. Had to come find your thread, have such and itch to start building one. -Andrew

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Trailer worked great on the trip! Just coasted over everything we went through. Had to come find your thread, have such and itch to start building one. -Andrew

Great looking build.

Thank you guys!
Andrew, what I learned from my leaf spring failure is that you MUST calculate the distance from when the leaf spring is flat to the frame. The reason my leaf spring snapped is that it over-extended 3 1/2!" If I had bump-stops, it would have saved that. I will have that fixed by the end of this weekend though.

dales133

Observer
Thank you guys!
Andrew, what I learned from my leaf spring failure is that you MUST calculate the distance from when the leaf spring is flat to the frame. The reason my leaf spring snapped is that it over-extended 3 1/2!" If I had bump-stops, it would have saved that. I will have that fixed by the end of this weekend though.
How are you going to mount your bump stops and what will you use?
My off road teardrops unfinished and I need to take the body of the trailer at some point and I might as well adress this issue then before it becomes an issue later

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
On my design, the leaf springs fall directly under the frame rail. I've bought some similar to the ones below, so I will locate the bump stop directly over the spring plate on the axle, then drill and mount some nutzerts for the bump stops.
bd70ca96c7408999a47df4779f057642.jpg

fireball

Explorer
Hi Matt,

I was thinking about your trailer today and seem to remember you had fabbed up some sort of rubber connection b/w the roof of the TD and the awning, so that when the awning was deployed it kept the rain from getting down the side of the TD in the gap b/w the awning and the tear.

Do you have any photos or maybe some details on how you did this?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles