1987 toyota 4x4 22RE

jgallo1

Adventurer
Hello,
I am considering buying a 1987 toyota 22RE. I would use it as a daily driver, but also offroad. The truck is super clean 180k on it.
My question is about reliability and power. If I put bumpers, a lift, tires etc.. Will the truck have the power to make it up the passes in nor cal, wyoming, montanna, long trips through baja mex.

If any one has any experience or knowledge let me know thanks.

Thanks,
Justin

dfresh285

Observer
the 22RE is very reliable. Power is relative. It will have the power to get up hills, mountains, etc., but will that be enough power for you? I have a 1st gen 4Runner and live in Ohio(FLAT) so I have no issues, but when I get on the highway and get into the hills, I make sure to stay in the slow lane. Those are great trucks and will go through anything you throw at them.

Arktikos

Explorer
I have a '92 with the 4. They have little power in stock form, never mind lifted and weighed down with accessories. Sure, it can make it up the passes, just not haulin' ******** at the speed limit. Doesn't bother me a bit, but give it a test drive and see what you think. If you buy it, maybe check out the capabilities in stock form before going hog wild with the mods.

DVexile

Adventurer
22RE legendary reliability of course. Is this a manual transmission I assume?

As to power, well climbing steep grades with a load is slow with the 22RE. You will get up the pass for sure, but you may be dropped into 3rd going 35 MPH in the far right lane with the big rigs. Just adjust your mind set and take in the view as you take a few extra minutes to climb the longer passes.

zidaro

Explorer
those 4 little squirrels will take you everywhere.

gearing is the key.
3rd gear up the passes in the sierras at 45mph is best you'll do on an average day.

31"s = stock or 4.88
33"s = 4.88
35"s = 5.29

jgallo1

Adventurer
Thanks for all the info...I also through a friend just might have found a 2004 tacoma 4x4 with 88k.. if i can snag the 04 I think that is better move. Any thoughts between the 2?

coryc85

Tough call. I have an 88 4Runner which I absolutely love, but I do not DD it. Some negatives about it: I live in a hot climate, the AC is fairly weak, the seats are not that comfortable, it does not have cruise control.

All of those things are fixable, and part of the joy of owning it is doing these upgrades to make it exactly how I want it. In your case, I'm assuming that 4Runner will be much cheaper than the Tacoma, so you would have some money to do some upgrades, so you can factor that in.

Out of the gate without doing any mods to either truck, the Tacoma will be more comfortable, will have plenty of power to probably even tow something if you wanted, probably has cruise control. It's really a personal decision, I love my 4Runner, but I don't DD it. If I were looking for something to DD and take offroading, I'd probably choose the Tacoma.

brushogger

Explorer

gearing is the key.
3rd gear up the passes in the sierras at 45mph is best you'll do on an average day.

31"s = stock or 4.88
33"s = 4.88
35"s = 5.29

This x2. If you go with larger tires and add much weight, a regear is a must. If you stay with close to stock size tires, and keep the weight down you'll be fine.

bkg

Explorer

gearing is the key.

31"s = stock or 4.88
33"s = 4.88
35"s = 5.29

After having owned way too many 22re's... I'd suggest starting with 5.29's at 33's these days.. especially if hills/hauling/heavier bumpers/etc are involved.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I thought I'd bump this thread again, as one of the trucks I'm looking at is also a 1987, but this time a 4Runner. Still waiting on more info to trickle in from the owner in regards to parts, but the one thing that worries me is he doesn't have any knowledge of the big maintenance items being taken care of such as timing chain and head gasket. He states the previous owner was a mechanic but no knowledge of what that person did either, other than install a lift, upgrade to 5.29 gears and had the third member rebuilt.

Overall from the pics the truck looks good and I'm going to head out on Friday to take a look. What would you consider the top 5 items I should be keeping a lookout for as I'm inspecting/test driving?

v_man

Explorer
If you can , a compression test is very simple to do on the 22re . That will give you insight into cylinder and piston condition . Be looking for consistent numbers across all 4 pistons .

Other than that I'd look at frame rust , fluid levels and color , smoke on startup , the usual used car indicators .

Edit : I realize you did not say what motor or tranny , I would stay away from anything except the 22re / 5 speed combo in that year and model . No way I'd put money into a 28 year old 3vze /auto 4runner .

ca18_sean

Adventurer
I thought I'd bump this thread again, as one of the trucks I'm looking at is also a 1987, but this time a 4Runner. Still waiting on more info to trickle in from the owner in regards to parts, but the one thing that worries me is he doesn't have any knowledge of the big maintenance items being taken care of such as timing chain and head gasket. He states the previous owner was a mechanic but no knowledge of what that person did either, other than install a lift, upgrade to 5.29 gears and had the third member rebuilt.

Overall from the pics the truck looks good and I'm going to head out on Friday to take a look. What would you consider the top 5 items I should be keeping a lookout for as I'm inspecting/test driving?

Seems like front steering components get worn out quickly on these with larger than stock tires. Adding a new/larger steering stabilizer seemed to help. Other than that I haven't had any serious issues with my 1st Gen. Not sure how you'd check the timing chain or tensioner without pulling the valve cover and looking. Headgasket problems should be pretty apparent by checking the fluids and test driving. Look closely for rust around the rear fenders, especially if it has fender flares. Mine looked rust free until I removed the bushwacker flares and found it hiding under there. Same thing with the front windshield. Again, mine looked good until I pulled the windshield. No interior leaks, just slight bubbling under the chrome trim.

Like others already said, driving on the highway above 60mph is a loud, slow, different kind of experience. As long as you don't need to get anywhere quickly it's ok. Around town and off road it's a ton of fun! My A/C keeps me plenty cool even on Florida 90+ degree days. I did upgrade to a very large electric fan, so that's helped the A/C out. It used to heat soak sitting in traffic.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Thanks for the info guys. It is a 22re/5 speed combo. He has really wide 33"s on it now which I'd probably dial down a little in size. There is a small ding on the rear passenger side quarter panel that looks rusty from a bump that never got repaired. He does state there is a minor leak around the power steering box but no dripping. It was his daily driver up to a couple of months ago when he needed a larger vehicle and bought a LC.

I know all about driving slow in traffic....my current campmobile is an 85 vanagon 1.6 n/a diesel. That thing can't move fast enough to get out of its own way....turn the AC on and you'll be lucky to make it through the intersection. Any slight incline in the road and I lose 5-10mph unless I can get a running start. I usually just tuck in behind the big trucks and draft off them...every once in a while I get lucky and can manage to pass one.

Some pics:

cl-857324474.jpg

IMG_20150603_102953098.jpg

cl-1401299411.jpg

IMG_20150603_102641936_HDR.jpg

cl-83833883.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior