Time for new tires<

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I am going to purchase the new BFG KO2 All Terrain tires for my Lexus LX-450,

I presently have the Great Hankook Dynapro MT on a 295/75/16 they have been a great tire, but I am looking for less noise on the HWY, but still want a tough tire OFFROAD!

Now for the 64k question!

I am unsure of which size to get!

If I go with 285/75/16 which equals to a 32.8 inch tire is this going to look too small on mt vehicle evendough I will have better performance and better gas milage!

OR.

Should I go with 315/75/16 which should be a 34.6 inch tire, which might make my vehicle slower on the highway less fuel milage and struggle on the mountains!

My present Dynapros equal to a 33.7 inch tire, I like the performance on the highway which I average 13.4 mpg at 75 mph on the interstate, I just do not like the noise!

Your thoughts!

Am I going to regreat getting the 315's, am I going to make mt vehicle too slow or are the 285's more then enough for my needs?

Thank you!

coax

Adventurer
Yes I have a similar issue with the tires sizes available for 16" wheels. The 285 width is great but the common 285/75 is small-ish. One thing you could consider is running the toyo AT/2 XT tire. Also sees to be a bit more of a hybrid At/Mt tire but is available in a 295.

The_Dude

Adventurer
285s are what I run and I have done a lot of trails in Moab. I do want the look of a 315 but the 285 performs just fine. I can still run snow chains and still driveable in town. More benefits than cons for me. uploadfromtaptalk1429143356187.jpg

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
285s are what I run and I have done a lot of trails in Moab. I do want the look of a 315 but the 285 performs just fine. I can still run snow chains and still driveable in town. More benefits than cons for me. View attachment 280597

I agree with you, so now I am looking at the TOYO AT II XT in a 295 size, seems like the perfect size for my needs and similar in size to my Hankooks MT's!

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Yes I have a similar issue with the tires sizes available for 16" wheels. The 285 width is great but the common 285/75 is small-ish. One thing you could consider is running the toyo AT/2 XT tire. Also sees to be a bit more of a hybrid At/Mt tire but is available in a 295.

Thank you for the scoop, I like what I see, I just need to do some research on how loud are they going to be, if they are quiter then my Dynapros I should be done!

mph

Expedition Leader
Have you looked at the General Grabber AT2? Come in a 295, D Range Tire. Which might be a little nicer ride...Not too bad of a weight...58# per tire...

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I am sold on the New BFG KO2, Cooper ST Maxxx and Toyo AT II XT!

Of all these tires I like the Toyo because of it's availability on a 295 =33.4. followed by the ST Maxx, however I think the Maxx might be as loud as the present Hankook I am presently using. The great BFG KO2 is the tire I like and I wish they had it available on a 295 soon since I am going on a trip were I will be SOLO taking some easy lonely trails!

The_Dude

Adventurer
Another reason I like the 285 is the size is common and spares are available all over. No waiting on a special order.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have the BFG AT on my 100 series (285/75-16) and the Toyo AT II extreme (is that what you mean by "xt"?) on my Ram 3500 in a 35" tire. The Toyo is quieter and took 8 oz less PER TIRE to balance than the BFGs. I love BFG tires, but for your usage I'd strongly recommend the Toyo.

Edit: I wrote the above early on in my time with the Toyo AT IIs. In retrospect, they suck. They were scary on anything but dry pavement after 20,000 miles. I've been running Cooper ST Maxxs for the past 2 years and they are the best all around tire I've ever run. They are as quiet as the BFG AT, and cost much less than either Toyo or BFG.

Last edited:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Wow! I did not know the TOYO AT II Extreme were quieter then the NEW KO2, I leaning more for the TOYo each time, specially in the 295/75/16.

Thank you for your comment it make a big difference in my selection!

SmoothLC

Explorer
redthies - Just to clarify, since I'm interested in some of the same tires, did you mean the KO2 or the previous KO in your post above?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have the KOs. I wanted tried and true. I honestly don't find either tire to be noisy. I have run the Toyos on my Rubicon and dually as well. They are a very impressive tire.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
It seems like the Toyo is going to be next tire, it seems like it fits the bill!

I like the size that I can get, the quiet ride and I hope is though enough for my needs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles