The Great Camp Chair Debate

Honu

lost on the mainland
this is a double post as the same info is also on the thread new helinox chairs
but figured it was good info for this thread also since this is a awesome thread on all camp chairs hope nobody minds :)

OK arrived today

LOVE IT the helinox regular was great this thing is a solid upgrade IMHO
while a touch bigger and a touch heavier still tiny compared to any normal camp chair

my head can rest which I was curious about with the height so I am stoked about that without having to do my pole mod :) the early pics show a blue pillow ? maybe accessory later on but I used a small hammock pillow and worked great so maybe make one that has velcro back

some quick things you notice the size of the legs is HUGE compared to the original but it makes it way more stable feeling not that the other one was not stable but had some flex when moving around this one does not have that much at all
the sit height is much taller and for me a bit more comfy for sitting eating etc... for kicking back lounge style both are OK
my wife did notice for her kicking her legs out (about 5,7") that the new sunset was noticed more on the bottom part of her legs but the headrest and feel was nicer but my head rest mod I posted elsewhere made the two about the same comfort factor in the end

the seat is a bit wider but the shoulder area cuts up to the top so in some ways the shoulder area is a touch narrower ? not a discomfort but interesting to note
also the top now has a bar inside to keep the top from coming together as much while not a issue it does make it a bit less feeling like its hugging you that some noticed in the original style and for sure is needed with the taller back design

will do better pics and review in a while
I think the regular one with my backrests pole mod is just as comfy for lounging kick back style but the new one will be better eating height for me and is easier to get up out of for sure with the additional height and I like the wider width on the front
most likely going to be buying one more for the wife soon :) the kids will keep using our current ones and wifes and I will be kept for guest seating etc...

expensive ? well yes and no IMHO a great piece of gear that if one is trying to cut back on size and weight is well worth buying

will try to get some people in the chair soon :)

some quick bad iphone shots :)

showing the height from this angle
helinox-sunset_0.jpg

another angle straight on shows the front width a bit better and the taper of the back design also the height and of course in all these you can notice the diameter of the leg struts etc..
helinox-sunset_1.jpg

again seat height is easy to see and how tall the back is
helinox-sunset_3.jpg

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I bought a Strongback chair after the comments in this thread. Hate it. It folds up a lot bigger than an El cheapo. It is built the same as the El cheapo and it does not fold up very easy. Quite a few at camp sat in it and liked it but after they saw me try to wrestle it closed it was written off as another cheap crap camp chair. That's basically what it is. It will not fold without a long fight and had it not been for women and children at camp I would have put it in the fire.

I've read similar comments about re-folding the Coleman Insta-tent. I haven't had re-folding issues with either.

95RRC

Adventurer
Oztent King Goanna....when I get out at the fire for a beer, someone always jumps in it! I have two...if my wife isn't with me one of my buddies claim it before we even go on the trip.

Outstanding quality...sure a little big, but...

peneumbra

Explorer
If you hook up your O-Tent chairs to some house current and make sure to get them wet when you stand up, you won't have the problem with chair-thieves any more...

jdillard

Observer
I was looking at some Lifetime contour chairs at Costco a few days ago, and was surprised at how light they were. They fold up not quite as compactly as the ALPS directors chairs I have (meaning not well at all) - but for comfort, sturdiness and price, they seem hard to beat.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
After years of feeling more tired AFTER sitting in my camp chair that before, I queried the Wander the West forum and the overall camp chair of choice is the Strongback Elite. I ordered one and WOW! I'll never go back.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Strongback-160-404HAC-LGGR-Elite-Chair-Lime-Green-and-Grey/30483813
I have one of those and its comphy but big, bulky and hard to fold. The worst part is that even thou the sit quality is good the construction is identical to the $7.99 folding camp chairs. After about 5 trips mine is bent up, the riveted pins and parts are falling out and I'm just milking out its last few days. It is nice on the back and if you have the room for it and are used to tossing cheap broken camp chairs in the trash then it's great.

cactusjk

Explorer
Sad to hear their QC is so bad!
I have one of those and its comphy but big, bulky and hard to fold. The worst part is that even thou the sit quality is good the construction is identical to the $7.99 folding camp chairs. After about 5 trips mine is bent up, the riveted pins and parts are falling out and I'm just milking out its last few days. It is nice on the back and if you have the room for it and are used to tossing cheap broken camp chairs in the trash then it's great.

kb7our

Explorer

Similar experience with quality...."poor". Had to replace broken rivets with screws...comfortable chair but poor construction that won't hold up.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I just bought the original SnowPeak chair, brand new for $90 from backcountry.com. I've tried a few different ones and I thought I really liked it then. However, I'm returning it due to the complete lack of lower back support. I currently have a Helinox and the REI version of the Helinox. I'll be ordering another Helinox and then I'm done, hopefully. I don't like the setup and breakdown time of these chairs but they're light and compact and that matters to me since I'm always short on room on our family trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles