Subframe Designs

bobaloo

Hey All,

Hope you are doing well. Yahoo for post #1!

I am in the early-mid stages of planning a pickup camper. Similar in size to Earthroamer, or the UXV (of GXV). I've read several posts on 3 & 4 point mounting systems, read the Ecoroamer build and saw Jay Shapiro's take on it, and also NeverEnough's take on the subframe.

My main question would be the design and manufacturing of the sub frame. Is this work typically performed by the truck shop doing the frame extensions, outfitting with air suspension, etc? Or is there a subclass of truck shop focused on the engineering and outfitting of sub frames? If so, any suggestions to speak with someone would be welcome. I am located part time in California (southern) and part time in Oklahoma. I plan on visiting Tulsa Truck next time I'm in Oklahoma. (I've seen them mentioned a few times in builds here).

Thanks in advance.
Robert

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Hey All,

Hope you are doing well. Yahoo for post #1!

I am in the early-mid stages of planning a pickup camper. Similar in size to Earthroamer, or the UXV (of GXV). I've read several posts on 3 & 4 point mounting systems, read the Ecoroamer build and saw Jay Shapiro's take on it, and also NeverEnough's take on the subframe.

My main question would be the design and manufacturing of the sub frame. Is this work typically performed by the truck shop doing the frame extensions, outfitting with air suspension, etc? Or is there a subclass of truck shop focused on the engineering and outfitting of sub frames? If so, any suggestions to speak with someone would be welcome. I am located part time in California (southern) and part time in Oklahoma. I plan on visiting Tulsa Truck next time I'm in Oklahoma. (I've seen them mentioned a few times in builds here).

Thanks in advance.
Robert

Most qualified upfitters can do the fabrication work, and they'll be familiar with the spring-bolt system used on my build and lots of others. Design and engineering work for the actual subframe for whatever body you design will be a little harder to find. The closer you stay to time-tested body mounting practices, the better off you are, IMHO. My rig has seen a lot of action and it works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles