Toyopet Stout RK45 1962 Build

elevenrussians

Hi, my name is Ivan and here is my story (I am not sure where to post it, but since it will be a build of expedition vehicle I will leave it here)
corner.jpg

Couple years ago I ran across an eBay listing of RHD Toyopet Stout single headlight truck I never seen before. And with the help of my wife's intuition bought it. When truck arrived, we discovered names of many countries written on the body and the rest of the story is on http://www.rk45.org

Recently I acquired a rust free Rk43 Stout for parts. The plan is that after I sell my vintage Toyota collection (2xAE86, RN12 22RE, TE71 2T-G, RA29) (and hopefully get some sponsors :) I will start the restoration, and when I'm done will take it back to Tokyo.

The story has already have been featured on JapaneseNostalgicCar, Road and Track website and Hemmings blog, as well as couple Chicago area online newspapers. Part of the project is to find the family that did the trip in late 60's

I have been travelling all my life. South American jungle, Russian North, Altai, Baikal. I had an 1996 XJ for 4 years which me and my wife took all over the southwest and over most southern colorado passes. Now we upgraded to fj80.

I think it will be a very interesting project to follow since it combines history, past expedition, vintage truck and restoration/build of it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very cool! Are you going for a full on "period correct" resto or are you going to modernize/update it?

Either way, I like it!

elevenrussians

Very cool! Are you going for a full on "period correct" resto or are you going to modernize/update it?

Either way, I like it!

Thanks!
The fact is that original R engine (not 3R, not 8R just "R") is 60hp and I haven't really looked at it yet. RK45 is a 1.75ton truck. When they imported these Toyopets to Australia, companies who used them replaced engines with v8s since it has issues carrying loads uphill.

So I am considering three options:

1. Full Restoration. The most expensive option:. R engine overhaul. Suspension & brakes overhaul.
2. Period correct restoration: parts truck came with running 3R engine & brand new carb which is 80hp. So keeping original frame and swapping in 3R and perhaps front disk brakes.
3. Frame swap: Truck is 110" frame so Toyota Tacoma / Pickup frames will work. It would be really cool to keep original frame / drivetrain in storage (for later use), modify extra steering column I have to act as auto-transmission shifter instear of 3 speed column shift. and swap bed and cab to a modern frame with 4x4, brakes/suspension, auto tranny, fuel injection, power steering etc.
dimensions.jpg

what do you guys think?

snekvasil

Adventurer
That is one cool looking truck. I'm building up a '68 Chevy with an inline 6...I'm doing something very similar to one of your options. I'm keeping it fairly stock, with some modern amenities to make long distance travel more enjoyable.

Do you plan on painting your truck? Clear coating it?

Looking forward to watching your progress!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Welcome to ExPo and hello... again.

I'm the Kurt that has been messaging back and forth with you re: spare I need for my 1965 RK41 Stout. Glad to see you over here too!

I'll be calling soon, waiting to finalize some parts deals I have in the works and then I'll have a clear answer on my needs from you :cool:

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
The answer to which path depends on your end goal.

1) Museum quality show car.
2) Drivable play car.
3) Useable expedition vehicle.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Welcome to Expo elevenrussians! Very cool truck and story behind it. It is neat to see something out of the ordinary for a change. Will be fun to see what you do with it.

Funny, you never see or hear of Stout’s and I ran across this video last week then your post last night. Check this out….This guy carves these RC bodies out of wood! And with the weight of the wood bodies give them even a more realistic body movement on the trail. This might be one of the only off-roading videos of a Stout in existence until you get yours in action.

elevenrussians

Quick update on the project. Parts rust-free truck came in from Texas. Guy lowered the price substantially after I explained why I need the truck. Came with good windshield (impossible to find, guys buy these trucks just for windshield sometimes), supposedly running 3R. new carb etc.
PORTAL.jpg

Also got NOS fender mirrors and tail light lenses
lens_portal.jpg

Have been contemplating about buying 06 tacoma 4x4 2.7L I4 since it's the same wheelbase (110"). So the drivetrain and suspension are modern. Seems like the only original parts that I will end up keeping will be grille/headlights, emblems, bed and RHD stuff. (unless I presudade Toyota to sponsor the project and factory restoration)
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
it would be too cool for it to be totally restored to original condition, however - failing that placing the body ontop of a modern platform would be also another great option.

Derek24

Explorer
Old body on modern chassis would be best of both worlds! Something you could comfortably drive everyday all day! Awesome build keep us updated!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
If you do go through the process of putting the old body on something new I would be most excited to see you slap the body ontop of an 80 series land cruiser frame and running gear. It wouldn't be so far removed from its legacy

elevenrussians

hmmm...

it actually makes a perfect sense. The cab of RK43 which i will be using (since original RK45 is rusted beyond repair) is 2 inches longer, and rk45 wheelbase is 110", FZJ80 wheelbase is 112".
The only thing I'm worried about is track width. I would like to keep the stock look as much as possible (even thinking about keeping the RHD, a lot of fab, i know, and probably parts from Japan to order...).

RK45 width is 66.75" at the widest point. FZJ80 is 76".
FZJ track is 62.8 front /63 rear. So it won't look stock for sure, and some flaring might be necessary but, it won't be horrible.

what do you guys think?

I got a buddy with 1994 with blown motor, which I can have. Neighbor down the road has 176K on a locked 97 , he might finally sell me if I explain what i need it for. Princess will never let me cut up her locked 95... FZJ80...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier