A tale of two vans' travels: Over 25 trips together

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
You guys are such an inspiration for the rest of us who live behind our keyboards. Less time building rigs and more time USING them.

Right on, indeed.

Railvan

Adventurer
I'm just back home from a long weekend visiting family to find this thread and the awesome replies from folks. I'm gonna throw a few photos of Tom and I traveling up here for now, and hope to get time soon to add more photos and some words to go with them.

One thought for now: Never mind what you want to do to your rig in the future, get out and enjoy it with your friends and family now.

Gall3.jpgMB3.jpgMB5.jpgMB8.jpgMoab4.jpgOwyhee3.jpgOwyhee4.jpgOwyhee7.jpg

Really inspiring rigs and photos. I've been seriously considering getting rid of my 06 xterra for a astro. A sportsmobile would be amazing but its so far out of the budget. Since you guys have had so much time with these rigs side by side, any chance you could do a little pro and con? How much larger is the SMB in real world situations? Is the interior space that much difference? Has there ever been places one of you could get to but the other could? Any interior shots would be really helpful. It would be a daily driver, but I spend a ton of time in the car and I think it would be a lot more comfy for my aging hound.

Keep the pics coming!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
It's great you two are taking the time to post these great photos. Impressive locations and photography. Let me know if you want to rent yourselves out for my upcoming trips. :sombrero:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Thanks Mike that's a nice complement.

Scotty, that's a great question and I will address it when I have a bit more time, and I am sure Brian will too.

Railvan

Adventurer
Really inspiring rigs and photos. I've been seriously considering getting rid of my 06 xterra for a astro. A sportsmobile would be amazing but its so far out of the budget. Since you guys have had so much time with these rigs side by side, any chance you could do a little pro and con? How much larger is the SMB in real world situations? Is the interior space that much difference? Has there ever been places one of you could get to but the other could? Any interior shots would be really helpful. It would be a daily driver, but I spend a ton of time in the car and I think it would be a lot more comfy for my aging hound.

Keep the pics coming!

Thanks!

Random thoughts on comparing the two vans: If you are gonna use a 4x4 van as a daily driver, the Astro will be much more comfortable in most cases. The 1/2 ton Astro suspension rides much softer than the 1 ton straight axle under my SMB. Riding in Tom's Astro feels like a Caddy to me. I have not driven Tom's van for more than a short while, but I noticed when I did that the driver's view upward is restricted by the top of the windshield.

Comparing interior size, Tom has commented in the past that when we camped together and wanted to eat dinner inside for three adults, it was always in my SMB. It's hard to compare the room inside my full size Ford and Tom's Astro, as mine has a SMB RB50 full camper package with cabinets and beds in it, and Tom has storage tubs and a folding seat. Both have beds in the pop tops. Tom can throw in a back seat and shuttle a group of people to the airport and back. The rear seat in the SMB will hold three people in theory, but really just two in comfort. And, you won't see anything out of the left side of the van if you ride in the back of mine.

The larger outside size of my full size van doesn't seem to affect us much when traveling together. Tom has been on some trails when I wasn't around and he said he barely fit between rocks or trees, so I would have had to go around. I'm used to the size after 9 years with it, and I had a Suburban for ten years before this van, so for me it just is what it is.

I like swing out side doors, and Astro's only came with sliding doors. The V6 in the Astro is a great engine with a good record for being reliable. The 6.0 diesel in my van has had more than a fair share of problems, and has left me stuck twice when it would not start. 6.0 Ford diesel's can be made to be reliable, but needs upgrades to be so in my experience. I love the extra driving range that the diesel gives me on a tank of fuel but other than that the V10 would have been less trouble and money.

I had a once in a lifetime chance to buy my SMB and have never regretted it. For a guy who works hard for his money, the Astro is a screaming good deal. Convert it to true 4x4, lift it a couple inches, and it will go places that will amaze you, and others, and you will love the look on their faces when they find a "minvan" at the end of Jeep trails.

Brian

Railvan

Adventurer
A tale of two vans' travels:

Tom loves all kinds of vans. If you own a van, Tom wants to talk to you.

Gall1.jpg

A favorite camp spot that has been a repeat location several times.

Gall4.jpgGall6.jpg

When you take a van to places far beyond where GM designed it to go, you sometimes find the yield limits of parts.

Gall5.jpg

Tom inside his van when he was picking it up from GTRV with the brand new poptop installed.

poptop.jpg

Vancouver Island and a camp spot that Tom was very determined to find. It was well after dark and the "road" was not easy to find, but he found it.

VanBC1.jpgVanBC2.jpg

Railvan

Adventurer
It's great you two are taking the time to post these great photos. Impressive locations and photography. Let me know if you want to rent yourselves out for my upcoming trips. :sombrero:

Thanks, Mike. Would love to meet you someday. Portland is not far away and I love to explore Oregon!

Railvan

Adventurer
Hey T.Low -- So inspiring to see all that adventuring! I've crossed paths with both Railvan Brian Rutherford, and Craig Miller. It'd be fun to meet you someday, too. I feel like I'm still getting to know good places to explore within a day's drive of Seattle. Here's a pic of my van with Railvan in Colorado back in 2006 (for the Sportsmobile Rally):

-- Geoff

Geoff, Great to hear from you! Very long time no see! If you want to compare notes on places reasonably close to Seattle to explore, just let me know. Hard to believe your photo from the SMB rally trip was 9 years ago!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Brian and I wanted different vehicles. Brian wanted a 4x4 camper van. I wanted a sport utility van. We both ended up with pretty much exactly what we wanted.

I knew from experience that I wanted a midsize van, because first and foremost I wanted maneuverability and drive ability. E series bigger than I wanted, I didn't agree with the geometry of the Delica or Yotavan,so that left Astro and Vanagon. Arguments aside, while I prefer the Vanagon interior space, the GM drivetrain won out.

I'm a backpacker and kayak camper: an Astro has plenty of room for two of us. But we certainly don't invite Brian in for breakfast: we knock on HIS door. The E series is MUCH roomier.

A couple of weekend projects gets the Astro lifted, converted from awd to 2spd 4wd, re geared and locked, and pop topped.

It's been reliable as can be.

its been a great SUV that I drive daily, haul family and friends, tow trailers, road trip, jeep trail, and camp in.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/130386-Naches-Wagon-Trail-to-WABDR

One of the swamp bridges on the Naches Trail
http://youtu.be/eMKmc1tJNRU

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94