2019 Defender

nick325i

Adventurer
I'm just happy they are coming out with a new defender and offering it in America at all. I'll save my judgement until I see the finished product in person.

Last edited:

jdillard

Observer
It would not be worth the investment. It would only be appreciated by a limited amount of buyers. They need to sell these things to people that want the "look".

The look of a Mini Clubman with a 4" lift? For the sake of humanity, I hope that look would also only be appreciated by a limited number of buyers.

Scott Brady

Founder
I am excited about it, and am certain they will do a good job of designing the vehicle. In stock form, it will be more capable then the current Defender too (based on my discussions with their engineers). Of course, the purists will hate it, but the engineers will have genuine obstacles to address, like ESC, crash rating, fuel economy, etc. Even if they wanted it to look exactly like the current truck, it would not be feasible.

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
In stock form, it will be more capable then the current Defender too (based on my discussions with their engineers).

Interesting! What did they disclose that made you feel that the new Defender will be more capable than the outgoing model?

TravelinLight

Observer
There has been talk all the way back to when they stopped importing them that they were just around the corner. Speculation has taken over the web and forums like this on the return of the Defender.

Until you see one at a show it is going to be years in the making as well as testing to get here. 2019 is a generous date. I will hold judgement on them until I see an official spec. I would love to have one and these pictures will degrade into discussions as to what color the dress is faster than you can say Land Rover.

Fun to dream about, but too far off to get worked up about.

Looks like a Range Rover had a baby with an FJ Cruiser.

L405_15_EXT_LOC30_VogueSE_Hybrid_ms_2_281-101711_450x259.jpg

+

2014-toyota-fj-cruiser-continues-the-tradition_1.jpg

=

BBibCtH.img

100% agree!!

DougC

Observer
I'll have to see one in the flesh. IF they fix that grill and it has decent room, I'm in for four door.

spikemd

Explorer
It won't be a vehicle for the masses, that's for sure. I guarantee it will be priced somewhere north of the new Discovery but south of the Range Rover. By 2019, that'll be pushing 100k. I am sure it will be capable, but it will won't be simple.

DougC

Observer
Before I make my comment, let me say, I have no inside information--I'm just speculating. With that said, I would like to think Land Rover will have a new Defender replacement this year as a 2016. They are just wrapping up the last model and have lots of favorable press about how capable the 90/110 are and have been over the production life. From a marketing standpoint, it would behoove them the bring something to the market (the US market included) that will be capable, relatively affordable, and well designed. If they do so, I will have a dilemma--my 2007 RRSC is starting to show its age with 153k miles on the ODO and I planned on trading for a 2012 RRSC because I love the 5.0 SC in my wife's XKR. If LR comes out with a new Defender this year I would seriously rethink the next vehicle.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Regulations are now driving vehicle design. The front end is a good example with respect to European pedestrian safety requirements.

Let's see what Land Rover comes up with vs. the press.

Redranger90

Resident Stuped Hillbilly
My biggest issue with modern land rovers in America is the price tag. Defenders and series trucks were supposed to be an affordable workhorse truck for around the farm as a basic utilitarian vehicle. Even the discovery was originally designed as an option for people who didn't want to spend as much as a Range Rover. If they were able to offer the lwb new defender pickup in diesel for around or less than $30,000 i may be very very interested, but if they offer it as another "luxury off-roader" for 80-100k, I don't see it doing to well in the states where I can go buy a Tacoma TRD for a better value. Just my opinion

haven

Expedition Leader
"...buy a Tacoma TRD for a better value..."

That's the real challenge for Defender. The small/midsize pickup truck does most everything a Defender can do, at a lower price point. The days of needing the ability to ford 30 inch deep creeks is over in almost all parts of the world.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
For me the Defender has the Wrangler as the closest competitor, the cool retro look, but not so much if the new Defender cost 80-100k.

My love vehicles are the Defender and Wrangler and it will be very intresting how the new Defender and the new Wrangler will be.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

I got a small felling of a Wolksvagen bus:) I do like the current defenders look better, more military, masculine look, with the more boxy look.

BBibCtH.img

vw-minibus---abbey-street-infomatique40-l.jpg

20780365222100913380.jpg

Redranger90

Resident Stuped Hillbilly
I do like the current defenders look better, more military, masculine look, with the more boxy look.

Defender.
G-wagen.
First gen scouts.
First gen Broncos,
40 series land cruisers,
Boxy is sexy. Sooner car companies realize that, sooner they drain me of my hard earned monies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94