explore alone?

I know its not recommended but sometimes I just want to get away alone or with my dogs so how many of you guys wheel alone and where do you draw the limits?

96Delica

Adventurer
I let someone know what my plans are and area I'm headed. No water crossings or technical stuff. Check in when you get home.

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
I don't understand what I see as the irrational fear of being alone.

Go where you want, when you want, according to your abilities. Be prepared.

Limits? Sure I set some. Here I am, nearly 60 years old, going on what I call the "little roads" for my entire adult life. Am still here.

It's quite possible to "what if" yourself into a corner. The world awaits. Enjoy.

Regards, Guy

kmlacroix

Explorer
I plan my travel and travel my plan. I let my wife and/or my best friend know where I am going and when I plan to be back. I keep it relatively safe. I give a check in time(s) and a "I may be in trouble" margin. I plan on getting a SPOT locator with a check in button. **** can happen anytime, anywhere. I use my brains, outdoors experience and common sense and I get along just fine.

I like to drive, bike and hike alone.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
if you have all the tools & a means of communicating from where you're at if the SHTF than by all means explore & to safely recover out of the situation

I do it all the time, however if the trail looks dicy I decide when to stop since its more of a BIG problem for me alone

isnt the solitude of the wilds why we explore anyways

Jurfie

Adventurer
if you have all the tools & a means of communicating from where you're at if the SHTF than by all means explore & to safely recover out of the situation

I do it all the time, however if the trail looks dicy I decide when to stop since its more of a BIG problem for me alone

isnt the solitude of the wilds why we explore anyways

:iagree: I explore alone all the time; on road, off road, on the water in my kayak...I prefer to listen to nature rather than someone nattering at me while I'm enjoying the outdoors. Last time I went paddling with a buddy, he talked the whole time and scared away all the wildlife! I don't mind exploring with a group, but I have to be in the mood to be social...and I'm feeling less and less social as I get older. ;)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have been on dozens of solo trips but also know my limits beyond any doubt and always go prepared for a worst case scenario. As others mentioned you should always let someone know where you are going and when you should be back, for most of us this goes back to what our parents taught us when we were kids.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
:iagree: I explore alone all the time; on road, off road, on the water in my kayak...I prefer to listen to nature rather than someone nattering at me while I'm enjoying the outdoors. Last time I went paddling with a buddy, he talked the whole time and scared away all the wildlife! I don't mind exploring with a group, but I have to be in the mood to be social...and I'm feeling less and less social as I get older. ;)

There have been moments while fishing alone that I have spooked a moose 10 feet away and seen muddy cougar tracks, by no means do I live in fear but a little more noise may save my butt at some point.

cwm

Observer
Be prepared. Tools for repairs and know your vehicle.

I always take water, food, clothing, proper shoes/boots so if I have to I can hike out or stay overnight - a sleeping bag. Also a PLB - Personal Locator Beacon.

But some people don't seem to feel they need to be prepared. On one trip there were a couple in a open jeep. Both wearing shorts, cotton T-shirts and flip flops. If they had a problem the nearest help was a ten mile hike. And this was at the end of a dead end trail at 13,200 feet elevation. About the warmest it ever gets at that elevation is in the low 60 degrees. It is not unusual for a rain shower to turn into snow any month of the year.

Mid week I have been on that trail more than once and there is no other traffic.

Exactly like many who replied here I am 61 have often worked alone I am a geologist so bush bustinon foot was a regular experience nowadays my vehicle is better equipped than ever before. I carry more tools supplies water food and a sleeping bag don't have a plb but that is near the top of my list. I like the solitude and the ability to see wildlife. I don't real enjoy being10th in a line of 20 jeeps I guess that's why am here

There have been moments while fishing alone that I have spooked a moose 10 feet away and seen muddy cougar tracks, by no means do I live in fear but a little more noise may save my butt at some point.
Right you are my wife and I were hiking on Palomar mt when we're heard the strangest scariest sound ever the kind that makes the hair on your neck stand up. In the fine silt were fresh man lion tracks. It was close and it wasn't happy we left slowly and cautiously Sometimes noise is good

camodog

Adventurer
If you are prepared go alone. It is hard enough to get three or four people to agree on the same start time, end time, routes, destinations, breaks etc. Like others have said, tell someone where you will be, have a means of communication, and don't tackle more than you can handle. This doesn't mean you shouldn't test yourself. There have been plenty of times I have got myself stuck and had to use my resources to get free. To me that's half of the fun without the whole world telling me what to do or when to do it.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Just slow down, and enjoy the views. I have to hike alone, since most folks are too lazy anymore.

kmlacroix

Explorer
I don't understand what I see as the irrational fear of being alone.

Go where you want, when you want, according to your abilities. Be prepared.

Limits? Sure I set some. Here I am, nearly 60 years old, going on what I call the "little roads" for my entire adult life. Am still here.

It's quite possible to "what if" yourself into a corner. The world awaits. Enjoy.

Regards, Guy

What this guy said.

Prepare for emergencies, but start with small trips and gain knowledge and confidence. Camp out in your yard or deck in crappy weather so you know what to expect, dogs too. Like the Boy Scout motto "Be prepared".

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Preparation - Have a plan and keep provisions on hand.
Plot - Not only have a map (or GPS), use it by leaving "breadcrumbs."
Communication - At least before and after, during if you can.
Humility - Recognizing that **** can happen to you.
Confidence - Know that you can deal with it when **** does happen.

I've made the crappy hike out of nowhere after having to abandon my vehicle due to a punctured tranny fluid pan. After realizing what had happened, I grabbed my ditch bag (some water, granola bars, extra socks, sweatshirt and rain gear) and retraced my route until I came across someone willing to give me a lift back into town (this was before cell phones were common). Not exactly how I wanted to spend my weekend, but it made for a great little adventure. You can prepare for most everything, take every precaution, and still end up hiking out. Trust your senses and travel accordingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior