Brake fluid reservoir cap spew?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
After my little trip out to King of the Hammers, and the travel through lots of washboard, whoops, rocks, etc, I noticed an oil leak. Inside the cab, driver side, door jamb interior molding on the bottom. I traced it up to the brake reservoir, and it looks like with all the bouncing and vibration, the crappy clip on reservoir cap is more than happy to liberate fluid. Anyone else have this problem? I'm tempted to just chuck a piece of absorbent foam around the cap, and pull it after rough travel, flush it, and put it back.

Not a good solution though.

gait

Explorer
I haven't had such a problem (FG649).

I'd be checking further that there isn't a seal problem somewhere.

Czechsix

It's definitely the cap that's leaking. Does yours thread on, or just clip on? The one I've got clips on, there's no o-ring, and it's somewhat loose to begin with. Still in good condition, pliable, easy on/off, looks pretty new....but doesn't give a good seal.

jomobco

Now Decanter
In the shop for a DEF warning light, turning off the DRL's, turning on the cruise and aligning the steering wheel. A 400 mile "should've been done before I picked it up" list. Not much to see yet. I've been waiting because I'm going to copy everything you do Czechsix so I won't have to redo it :) Start those air seats already will you?!?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
There is a normally a little removable piece in the corner of the dash. Pull that off and you can get to the filler. With the door open you should be able to see the level indicator, via a slot in the end of the dash.
Right hand side for RHD vehicles and left hand side for LHD vehicles.

Czechsix

LOL....go over a really rough washboard at the wrong speed, and look on the top of your left shoe ;)

When you open the driver door, look on the side of the dashboard, just inboard from the door. You'll see a window there that looks on a fluid reservoir, and two plastic panels on the side of the dash. The top panel will slide up and off, which will expose the cap.

Now if that description didn't muddy everything up, I don't know what will. Photos! Yeah, I need photos.

So what happened with the DEF warning light?

Oh, and you only THINK you're not going to have to redo things if you're gonna copy me. I can assure you that I have to redo things a dozen times myself. If there's anyone you want to follow that does their own build, follow Mog. I'm nowhere near the perfectionist he is, on his builds.

Czechsix

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm an amateur.

But I'll bet you I bleed more than you do when you work on your vehicle! Hah, got you there!

dunno what the hell I'm crowing about, it usually hurts

jomobco

Now Decanter
2013 Fuso FG Brake Fluid Reservoir Cap

That cap was a bugger to get off. Snap fit and rubber gasket.
IMG_4939.jpgIMG_4938.jpg

gait

Explorer
just a push on rubber cap. There's a see through bit in the dash cover to see the reservoir level so the cap doesn't need removing very often.

Maybe a trip to the wreckers ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles