MY DREAM BUILD… ULTRA-LIGHT "GO FAST" CAMPER.

ZeneralGod

Hmmm. After much thought, and reading everyone's comments, I have uncovered YET ANOTHER niche market that remains unfilled.

Off-Road Fifth Wheel Trailers! I REALLY like Kimberly Kamper (AU) and I have realized you get much more for your money with trailers. AS someone on the thread said previously, you can unhook them and go bombing in your truck and then come home to a comfortable space at the end of the day.

But I don't want to sacrifice TOO much speed. And fifth wheels offer just the little advantage of stability you don't get with bumper-hitch caravans.

Any thoughts?

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I'm not going to hide this in another post...

How many people do you need/want to carry in the truck and sleep/live in the camper?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Cost to build. Same issue with boats. A nice 25 footer costs just as much as a 32 footer regarding labor hours.

Maninga

Adventurer
Any thoughts?

I think it's unfilled for a reason. Offroad and big trailers don't really go that well together, can be hard to maneuver and really can be a pain. Still not really sure what your goal is or why you want the fast offroad camper, but really think you'd be better off with a Tiger/XP/Fuso towing a go-fast machine in a trailer. Can have all the spare parts you need, if something breaks you've another vehicle to move between to patch things up, can still get to the places you want to go in comfort and have your fun.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
My thoughts on the 5th wheel... If she gets loose/flips it's going to destroy a lot of your truck with it... One of those fancy "spin every direction balls" will keep a bumper pull ok and ideally only messes up your trailer if if you get in. Bind.

ZeneralGod

Obviously, I was joking about the fifth wheel…

Thought you guys would have picked up on that…

Kind of disappointed.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Looks like huge pain in the ******** to me...but some people are a glutton for punishment. :D

Ha ha - brings up that typical argument - just how much ******** do you really need?

Go fast anything regarding travel be it crossing oceans or crossing continents all have one thing in common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUxe3YmKgvs

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0vsMIYLNU

The point being light weight well built fast machines which are not over loaded with tons of ********.

You want fast and tons of ******** this is your option
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDnTrK3BqvA

Or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyeA8eqF14c

Ram5500

Observer
I'll chime in coming from the heavy side- as has been pointed out, it all depends on where you want to compromise- and yes with enough $ you can have less compromise. Doing a rig to go anywhere, fast, any climate and be able to live in it (as in month+) rather than "camp" in comfort and luxury....would be very cool for sure- the OP never said cheap or easy! If it was we'd all be doing it.

Slide outs and pop ups (hard side) sure help being more compact to travel while being able to have more living space and luxury. Starting with a light truck like a raptor might be harder and more costly ultimately than going more HD on the truck and lightening it up on the suspension for performance with a light ( for an HD rig) load....I am definitely biased though!

A slide in camper has the option of dropping it for base camp and more gnarly exploring without the load as well. We loved the luxury of the big camper with slide out, more limited to where it would fit. The OP mentioned Northern lite campers- that is the way I would and nearly did go with this rig though I really liked the 8'5 for a balance of lightweight, low profile and amenities. Visited the factory in Kelowna- I like those units. Just my opinions and I am biased for sure :ylsmoke:

Just depends on where you're balance is- the truck and arctic fox was ours at the time. Now I'd go with the northern lite or similar (for factory produced campers) since we never did do long duration trips. If we were living in it, I'd be looking at an Okanagon double or triple slide camper - but same truck since it allows us the luxury of carrying whatever we choose.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Since this thread isn't about Earthroamer or a similar bespoke camper (i.e., a partly custom rig built by a company like Earthroamer for retail sale), what say we move the thread to the General Camper Discussion section? Just tidying up.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Since this thread isn't about Earthroamer or a similar bespoke camper (i.e., a partly custom rig built by a company like Earthroamer for retail sale), what say we move the thread to the General Camper Discussion section? Just tidying up.

back, with you, to the riff raff, peasant!!!!
lol... really, it's just a Dodge among Giants...

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
1109or-06%2bchevy-silverado-1500-plan-b%2bcamper.jpg

I shot this feature for Offroad Magazine. This truck has a prerunner long travel suspension capable of going 45 mph through deep whoops. You won't find anything faster with a camper on it!

Plan B feature

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles