MY DREAM BUILD… ULTRA-LIGHT "GO FAST" CAMPER.

Clutch

<---Pass
In all reality Raptors aren't that fast offroad...and that is before you start tossing weight on them.

If you really want to go fast...Just build a Trophy Truck and toss on a Roof Top Tent...you'll need a chase crew with spares and fuel, but hey! ;) :D

0907dp_09_z+dakar_rally_2009+11_man_diesel_truck.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I just tossed off that comment without really thinking it through.

Seeing it in the flesh though...DAMN! That is SEX-SEY! Now I want one.

:D

I honestly don't see the point of it...lost a ton of cargo space by doing that. Those things aren't exactly cheap either. Why not use the stock bed and a tonneau cover if you're going to do that??

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
So it is for people with no self control. :)

Hah! Even if you have self-control, and you don't load up the cargo space, you still gotta carry the cargo space. If you leave the cargo at home, then why not leave the space at home too?

turboale

Observer
IMG_0096-X3.jpg

I wasn't planning on doing too much crazy off road with my tent so I went the easy route. Next go round I'm going to build a chase rack that slides/lifts right out. Don't over think the go fast camper. Make it one or the other. Honestly spend the money on a good suspension setup on a Raptor and get a teardrop style trailer for the cold expeditions. That way you can get to camp at a decent clip depending on the road, unload the "living weight" and have a lot more fun than you ever would with a house on your back.

Also, if you go the raptor route there are countless hydro bump stop setups (an absolute must if you plan to wheel the thing at any sort of speed) and depending on the length of the bump you can adjust them to compensate for as much weight as you need. One company actually let's you adjust the height of the bumps for towing.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
1. You still never told me what kinda damg cab configuration you want, unless i missed it somewhere!! How many people are you looking to haul and house?

2. Going off the ideas above.. How about laying a custom carbon fiber tear drop right on the back?? Or something that looks like the wedged backs on a hummer? Probably wouldn't add much weight by the time you pull the bed. Although the best idea is to probably pull the trailer and drop the weight to play.

Live beside and sleep inside will probably accomplish your goals alot more than some huge stand up/live in type.. Although now that I'm thinking of it, that may not work to great for Alaska...

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
For the record , the REAL reason EarthRoamer won't build this for me has to do with their supplier, http://www.cfmaier.com . Arovex is a competitor's product.
I KNOW the reason and it's NOT because of "custom fabrication". I know this because they make the XV-LT in many different lengths. .
I think you still fail to see the greater reasoning for ER not pursuing your concept. It's because they have a proven concept that is in high demand. With a 15 month waiting list, and people lined up to throw money at their even bigger, more expensive trucks in the coming months, why foul up their efficient production line with something unproven, and to this point, unwanted?

I think Bill gave you a straight answer, it's just not one you wanted to hear.

Clutch

<---Pass
2. Going off the ideas above.. How about laying a custom carbon fiber tear drop right on the back?? Or something that looks like the wedged backs on a hummer? Probably wouldn't add much weight by the time you pull the bed. Although the best idea is to probably pull the trailer and drop the weight to play.

Problem with trailers is, even with a trailing arm design...you can't go that fast with them...that and it will beat the living daylights of of the gear, bouncing around back there.

With Alaska...I don't think a Raptor is a good choice, unless you stay with graded gravel roads...the back country requires a totally different high clearance beast. Your dream rig with portals is the better choice...IMO.

IMG_1929.jpg

van13.jpg

Last edited:

ZeneralGod

I think you still fail to see the greater reasoning for ER not pursuing your concept. It's because they have a proven concept that is in high demand. With a 15 month waiting list, and people lined up to throw money at their even bigger, more expensive trucks in the coming months, why foul up their efficient production line with something unproven, and to this point, unwanted?

I think Bill gave you a straight answer, it's just not one you wanted to hear.

Of course, you are absolutely correct, Christophe! I just needed to vent about it :)

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Your dream rig with portals is the better choice...IMO.

400 - 500hp Diesel (Dual or bigass alternator will be an advantage), Portals ( adjustable air possible??), Lockers, cut-outs, 37" - 41" tires, gears, built axles (w/hydro assist) Custom long travel suspension from PMF, front and rear winch... I bet you could get that bad boy in more places than you'd want and still be able to carry as little or as much as you want.

There is rumor of 2017 Superduty's adopting the Aluminum Body panels... delete a bunch of the BS off it.. Pull the bed. Probably run better than a Raptor!

There is also fiberglass fenders available for current Superduty's

Last edited:

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
I do like those Earth Cruisers on the Fuso chassis...now if it were a hardsided popup. (I have a thing for a vehicle being too tall)

EarthCruiser is making a hard-sided, fixed roof EarthCruiser that will be 7-9 in above the cab of the Fuso so not oversized. First one will be done late this month.

Clutch

<---Pass
400 - 500hp Diesel (Dual or bigass alternator will be an advantage), Portals ( adjustable air possible??), Lockers, cut-outs, 37" - 41" tires, gears, built axles (w/hydro assist) Custom long travel suspension from PMF, front and rear winch... I bet you could get that bad boy in more places than you'd want and still be able to carry as little or as much as you want.

There is rumor of 2017 Superduty's adopting the Aluminum Body panels... delete a bunch of the BS off it.. Pull the bed. Probably run better than a Raptor!

There is also fiberglass fenders available for current Superduty's

Dooood....

131-1306-02%2B2012-ford-raptor-super-duty%2Brear-three-quarter-in-snow.jpg

131-1306-01%2B2012-ford-raptor-super-duty%2Bfront-three-quarter-in-snow.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles