outback97's 2006 Xterra

outback97

Adventurer
Hey all, I recently acquired a 2006 Xterra and am looking forward to using it for some camping and exploring adventures. My wife and I have had Subaru wagons for many years (still do) and wanted something with a bit more rough road ability. I also like the idea of being able to sleep inside the vehicle, as well as putting some mountain bikes inside.

I'm located in Utah near SLC; looking forward to learning and participating on the forum!

EDIT: Originally an intro thread, I've edited it to be more of a progress / random photos of stuff along the way type thread :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

outback97

Adventurer
Hello and welcome! Nice looking X you've got there, and an Off Road edition to boot!

Thanks! Got a decent deal on it and it had pretty much what we were looking for. There are some faded plastics from the Utah sun but looks to be mechanically sound where it matters. Needs some better tires on it though, that will probably be the first major thing to get upgraded.

My wife's brother lives in Billings and we are looking forward to meeting him somewhere in between for camping. Last year we met up in Glacier and really enjoyed it. We recently learned about the Pryor mountains and that area looks fantastic... you have some nice country up there.

4square

As far as your faded plastics, take a heat gun and play over the area and you'll be surprised to see the outcome. I did mine and was very pleased with the results. like new!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Thanks! Got a decent deal on it and it had pretty much what we were looking for. There are some faded plastics from the Utah sun but looks to be mechanically sound where it matters. Needs some better tires on it though, that will probably be the first major thing to get upgraded.

My wife's brother lives in Billings and we are looking forward to meeting him somewhere in between for camping. Last year we met up in Glacier and really enjoyed it. We recently learned about the Pryor mountains and that area looks fantastic... you have some nice country up there.

Montana sure has some gorgeous country, that is for sure. Glacier is amazing.

outback97

Adventurer
As far as your faded plastics, take a heat gun and play over the area and you'll be surprised to see the outcome. I did mine and was very pleased with the results. like new!

Thanks, I have heard that works and seen some youtube videos. Might try it but I'm afraid of messing up the paint. My only previous use of a heatgun was to strip paint!

Looks great, welcome!

Thank you!

http://gonemoab.com/?page_id=2971

Just sayin', since you're so close...

We're accustomed to it being just my wife and I on our desert adventures; we like getting away from crowds generally. And most of our Moab trips revolve around non motorized pursuits like hiking or mountain biking. But... this does look really cool and could be a lot of fun. Been thinking about it :sombrero:

steve c

Adventurer
Great looking X.

Please remove the mudflaps as they are a magnet for inconveniently placed rocks. In other words, take them off before the trail takes them!

Also, google "diff breather mod thenewx.org" and do that.

Is your truck manual or auto? If auto, google "smod thenewx.org"
If it hasn't already been done, you should probably do the radiator bypass mod. (auto trans ONLY)

Finally, post some more pics!

outback97

Adventurer
Great looking X.

Please remove the mudflaps as they are a magnet for inconveniently placed rocks. In other words, take them off before the trail takes them!

Also, google "diff breather mod thenewx.org" and do that.

Is your truck manual or auto? If auto, google "smod thenewx.org"
If it hasn't already been done, you should probably do the radiator bypass mod. (auto trans ONLY)

Finally, post some more pics!

Thanks Steve, from another Steve!

Regarding the mudflaps, the previous owner installed some actual mudflaps (that is flexible ones) to the backside of the factory ones which it looks like he sawzalled off, probably after breaking them like everyone else does. Kinda hard to see in this pic but you get the idea:

I may leave the rear ones but take the front off, still undecided.

The diff breather is on the list. It's an auto and yes I have read up on the SMOD issue although I should spend some more time learning. I asked the previous owner about the SMOD and he didn't know it by that name but sounded like he was aware of the potential issue and had been good about fluid changes and watching for it. One of the primary things I checked for before purchase! It sounds like the main options are a bypass or radiator replacement. I am planning on doing the bypass but first need to remove the aftermarket skids to get at everything. Been waiting for better weather to do some work and it looks like I might get that on Saturday.

I am also a member on thenewx with the same username. I think I actually discovered expedition portal through a link at that site. Thanks for the helpful advice and the welcome!

Thanks, have really enjoyed reading about your truck on this site, it's a nice one!

sblanken

Hello! New member and new Xterra owner as well. Took some time off of getting outside to have a couple of cinders, the youngest will be 5 months by summer, so it's time to get out there and do some exploring!

outback97

Adventurer
Probably time for an update to this thread... maybe I should change the title and turn it into a "progress" thread instead?

I did the SMOD bypass several weeks ago. A while after that I noticed a slight leak that I think is AT fluid, so I'm still trying to track down exactly where that is coming from. I need to remove the Shrockworks engine skid so I can poke around a bit more under there, but need to remove a bolt that's currently stuck spinning the unwelded weld nut in the crossmember. Stupid rust!

Ordered a set of Insain Fabrication rock sliders / steps and got them powdercoated with a black wrinkle finish. I like them (with some caveats) but they do work great as steps for my wife to get in and out of the Xterra.

Got in on the Discount Tire Direct sale on eBay and got a set of 285/75R16 Cooper A/T3's installed last week... too early to say much about them except that they were great on a recent desert daytrip that combined almost every (dry) road surface that I expect to drive on.

For that trip I also slapped together a roof rack for our 4GL Rotopax fuel container and it did the job, but needs some improvements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles