Post up your drawer/storage system

rayra

Expedition Leader

lol, you think you're giving commands to your pet? It's an inexpensive storage box, not a commuter highway bridge. Where's the sense of proportion?

I've been building with wood for over 30yrs, I'm familiar with the effects of water on particle board. If the cargo deck of my Suburban gets submerged I've got a lot bigger worries than a <$200 storage platform. And clear-coating sealants takes care of anything less.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rayra/sets/72157647976429985/

Last edited:

TomOwen

Observer
With my next drawer box build I will dado both sides, drawer and cabinet. No step in the drawer.

Hmmm. Can you provide a little more detail on this image? I get the lower section recessed to accommodate the slide, but the upper-end is my question. I'm assuming the leading edge is dadoed to accommodate the drawer face and not the length of the box, yes? Thanks

southpier

Expedition Leader
lol, you think you're giving commands to your pet? It's an inexpensive storage box, not a commuter highway bridge. Where's the sense of proportion?

I've been building with wood for over 30yrs, I'm familiar with the effects of water on particle board. If the cargo deck of my Suburban gets submerged I've got a lot bigger worries than a <$200 storage platform. And clear-coating sealants takes care of anything less.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rayra/sets/72157647976429985/

well ... then you surely know particle board & melamine is not wood, and clear coat doesn't make screws hold any better or the material stronger.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
well ... then you surely know particle board & melamine is not wood, and clear coat doesn't make screws hold any better or the material stronger.

Not to mention how much heavier it is: particle board is ~90 per 3/4" 4x8 sheet, birch ply is ~75 per 3/4" 4x8 sheet and can be made even lighter since it's strong enough to handle "speed holes." Of course, with birch one could also go with 1/2" (only 50 lbs.) for additional weight and cost savings since it's so much more durable. At about $10 more per sheet, the cost difference is negligible (unless you're building out a 40' bus).

W0mps

Adventurer
Here's my setup and what's inside -

Action Packer #1:
(2) Quarts Mobil 1 10W30
(1) Quart Amsoil 75W90
(1) Quart Amsoil ATF
(1) Gallon 50/50 Coolant
DOT3 Brake Fluid
Brake Parts Cleaner
WD40
Grease Gun
Mobil 1 Grease
High Temperature RTV
JB Weld
Epoxy
Red/Blue Lock Tight
Fluid Tube

Action Packer #2:
Blue Paper Towels
Latex Gloves
Garbage Bags
5'x5' Drop Cloth
Toilet Paper
Terry Towels
Wire Ties
Bailing Wire
Duct Tape
Assorted Mini/Regular Fuses
32oz Spring Water

Action Packer #3:
12V Air Compressor
12V Drop Light
First Aid Kit
Spare Serpentine Belt
Spare Universal Joint*
Spare Tie Rod End*

ARB Recovery Bag #1:
ARB 2"x30' Snatch Strap
ARB 2"x10' Tree Protector
ARB Speedy Seal Tire Puncture Repair Kit
ARB Tire Deflator
Assorted 3/4" D-Rings
Recovery Gloves

ARB Recovery Bag #2:
Pittsburgh Socket Set
Phillips/Flat Screw Drivers
Channel Locks
Regular Pliers
Needle Nose Pliers
Diagonal Cutters
L/M/S Adjustable Wrenches
Pipe Wrench
Vice Grips
Extendable Magnet
Utility Knife
Tape Measure
Mini Sledge Hammer
Cold Chisel
Flat Chisel
Safety Glasses
Spare Swaybar Clips
Spare Lug Nuts
Lug Nut Key

Miscellaneous On-Board:
Asus Nexus 7 Tablet
Streamlight Stinger Flashlight
Kiddie Fire Extinguisher
20' Tow Strap
Jumper Cables
Tow Plug Adapter

slomatt

Adventurer
I mounted the slides into shallow dados when I made my drawer system. Because I used 1/2" plywood to save weight the dados could not be very deep before they affected the strength of the side panels.

IMG_2941.jpg

- Matt

W0mps

Adventurer
good looking kit

Thanks, I've been contemplating removing it. It likes to loosen up and rattle and squeak every few months, especially when it's cold. I may do a couple gear bags and only carry whats in the action packers while offroad. I haven't cracked them cases since I put them in a year ago...

Thanks, I've been contemplating removing it. It likes to loosen up and rattle and squeak every few months, especially when it's cold. I may do a couple gear bags and only carry whats in the action packers while offroad. I haven't cracked them cases since I put them in a year ago...

Try putting teflon washers between the parts may help eith the rattles and maybe get out more often to use your equipment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier